Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monday Night Soccer (MNS)

• 10-03-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

so what did ye all think of the show tonight?

i thought it was great, a real step up in class from Eircom League Weekly (well, it wasnt that hard mind you! ;))

thought all the panelists worked as well as you could have hoped for, even Roddy was somewhat bearable! :eek: Rico was fantastic as usual and even Tony O'Donoghue who i thought would be out of place was ok

the Ryan Guy '60' segment and the 'Raiders of the Lost Archive' or whatever the f**k it was called were cheesy as f**k but i liked them too, content like that may draw younger viewers in so i wont complain

couple of editing errors were present which was sloppy and must be rectified by the next show but really i couldn't fault the show, maybe less talking from the panelists and more action would be welcome

the big issue i feel is that first division coverage is an absolute must, potential sponsorships, exposure etc are at stake here and anything that can boost exposure for the 10 clubs could be vital to preventing another Kilkenny City scenario. there is room for 5 or 6 minutes of goal action from the 5 games but i dunno if thats an issue for the FAI or RTE to sort out.

anyway, the show has alot of potential so i'm happy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

so what did ye all think of the show tonight?

Good show all round, except for the miserable Harps-Ramblers report at the start.

It's all very well doing gritty when you're trying to get away from EPL gloss, a la MOTD2, but eL is gritty enough as it is without having to travel the length of the country with relegation fodder to see them lose in Ballybofey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Great show actually, and as I said in the other thread, fair play to RTE.

Really nice to not be yawning through the highlights.

Yeah, Roddy was bearable too:eek:

Again, it was a gazillion times better than eLw

Few small things.

Er...replays? SloMo? Come on lads, we need to see the incidents again, there was an offside in a match, I can't remember, but woulda been nice to see it again.

Few small mistakes with names and that.

Lineups before the highlights please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Was looking forward to this and of course forgot about it. Only caught the last ten mins but it looked nicely polished. Hopefully I'll catch a repeat.

EDIT: Also, fair play to RTE. I think the key to making the eircom league more popular is having more hype around it in the media. It may sound a bit stupid but I think what RTE are doing is a real positive thing for the league. I think there is a saturation of english football on television and there may be a bit of a backlash that means people become interested in their local clubs/ home league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SectionF wrote: »
    Good show all round, except for the miserable Harps-Ramblers report at the start.
    i thought the actual segment was ok even though been there seen it all before if you've watched football focus or ITV's sunday morning championship show. it definitely should not have opened the show, those types of segments are better off stuffed in middle of the show. i agree, it did get gritty!
    DesF wrote: »
    Er...replays? SloMo? Come on lads, we need to see the incidents again, there was an offside in a match, I can't remember, but woulda been nice to see it again.
    yeah noticed that too when Rico was waffling on about some penalty decision or something during the Galway/Bohs match and there was no visual whatsoever, even TV3 managed to get that one right!

Was looking forward to this and of course forgot about it. Only caught the last ten mins but it looked nicely polished. Hopefully I'll catch a repeat.
    Should be on the RTE website soon-ish I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

when Rico was waffling on

Thats unlike him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Enjoyed the piece on Cobh Ramblers, despite being a Villa fan, and an occasional visitor to Turners Cross, i have a soft spot for ramblers and i really enjoy going to St. Colmans, climbing up the twisty streets to get to the ground and despite the crowds being small (less then 1000 i'd guess?) the atmposphere is always terrific, im gonna have to go down to Cobh soon to catch them in the top league again! when are City playing down there?( edit 29th march im there)

I digress, it was interesting to hear Tony O' Donoghue as a pundit as well, in his role as a newsman he is always wooden but i thought he was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Enjoyed the piece on Cobh Ramblers, despite being a Villa fan, and an occasional visitor to Turners Cross, i have a soft spot for ramblers and i really enjoy going to St. Colmans, climbing up the twisty streets to get to the ground and despite the crowds being small (less then 1000 i'd guess?) the atmposphere is always terrific, im gonna have to go down to Cobh soon to catch them in the top league again! when are City playing down there?( edit 29th march im there)

I digress, it was interesting to hear Tony O' Donoghue as a pundit as well, in his role as a newsman he is always wooden but i thought he was alright.

All fixtures, etc... can be found on the links below.;)

http://www.extratime.ie/
    http://www.eircomloi.ie/

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/soccer_fixtures_eircompremierdivision.html
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/soccer_fixtures_eircomfirstdivision.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I missed the show although I intend on giving it a look in future. I always found TV3 coverage of the domestic game a big turn-off.

Hopefully it turns out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

flip!forgot to watch it meself, i was playing soccer in the worst wind and rain i have played in years.....so the shower kept me hostage for a while longer than usual!so i missed it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will watch it when i get time :) Watched the Live match instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

No Paul Osam? No thanks. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

decent enough for a first show

plenty of room for improvement, but its looking promising

hopefully they got decent viewing figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I like the fact that it's on directly after the rugby highlights as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thought it was a decent enough show, although Des is a 100% right about the replays. Didn't make sense to be talking about certain incidents without at least showing a replay.

Thought the Pats/Sligo jersey issue was ridiculous. How it took a referee 30 mins to sort that out I'll never know.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Des is a 100% right about everything, all the time

fyp

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Very good show. All the panelists were excellent, even Roddy, and Con Murphy comes across really well.

Next time have the host sitting on his own seat as Richardson looked a bit awkward looking at the camera.

As others have said the biggest problem was that when they were analysing the incidents they never actually showed them.

It's a show I'd look forward to anyway. I simply couldn't watch TV3's rubbish. Pity about this clashing with the Setanta cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Only managed to see the first 10 mins of so of it , but it looks very good and a huge improvement from EL weekly .

The time slot and channel are much better ones too so combined with the improved quality it looks very promising .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Raiders of the lost archive tonight was the greatest footballing moment ever :D

I was right behind the goal post when eddies shin ball went in. Someone behind me had a portable tv so everyone knew the shels game was over.

magic moments.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched the show last night and was very impressed.

Wouldn't be hard to impress really with what we had before but fair play to all involved as it makes it easier to watch goals from all over the country now and not have o set video recorders for all times to catch goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The websites great aswell, I got up in time to watch it live the first week but Ive been asleep every other time its been on so its great to be able to watch it online by 1am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i thought graham gartland was very funny on 60 seconds.

Favourite position?
    You should know!

the piece Tony O'Donoghue did on the Ramblers/City derby was very well put together, very enjoyable

The show is getting better every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Finally saw it last night. Thought it was nicely put together, and I liked the feature on the Cork derby.

The skit on Dave Barry was classic!

Also love the way Liam Mackey gives his views, while seeming utterly preoccupied with something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

stovelid wrote: »

Also love the way Liam Mackey gives his views, while seeming utterly preoccupied with something else.

I thought that was just me thinking that. He seems to be watching the camera man or sound people moving about and not even listening to the lads talking.

He is good for the show all the same.

Advertisement