Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS3 - stuff it doesn't have

• 10-03-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

well I now have PS CS3 because Adobe were handing it out for relatively little moolah during February. My primary aim in purchasing it was to get out of the ridiculous situation I have where I have to cross between two bits of software to achieve stuff that neither of them can all do (eg PSE5.0 doesn't have much of a curves tool and ACDSee Pro has no layers).

Two things are starting to stand out:

1) straighten tool. It looks as though PS CS3 hasn't got a decent one of these. Anyone know of a plug in rather than me having to measure angles to straighten horizons?

2) Photographic filters. PSE has a full range of tinted photographic filters. I can't find them in PS CS3.

Now, because I've a single filetype between them both I can flit between both. But I'd prefer not to have to. Anyone got any ideas? The manual was not revealing at all on the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Straighten should be in filters -> distort -> lens correction and there's a ruler function where you can draw a straight line and it'll straighten the picture for you (at least it was still there in CS2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Filters are located in image, adjustments, photo filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Okay,

thanks both of you. It's a bit counterintuitive that the filters are in a different place but okay...I can deal with that. Thanks Darren.

With regard to the straighten tool is there any way I can customise things so that it's on the toolbar dock on the left rather than having to go through all that? It's a button in PSE and is dead easy to use. It seems to be a bit convoluted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Straighten should be in filters -> distort -> lens correction and there's a ruler function where you can draw a straight line and it'll straighten the picture for you (at least it was still there in CS2)

Yes, its there ! Second icon from top on top left

You could also create your own customised keyboard shortcut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Calina,

It has a straighten tool alright - press i and select ruler tool
    (mouse down on the eyedropper tool selection button)

for a horizon, click and drag with ruler tool from left to right at the horizon
    it retains the measurement
    image/rotate canvas/arbitrary... click ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

For a photo filter use an adjustment layer. They can be found on the bottom of the layers pallet. The icon looks kinda like a ning yang. This adds the filter on its own layer and can be turned on and off. The same applies to curves et al.

minikin wrote: »
    Hi Calina,

It has a straighten tool alright - press i and select ruler tool
    (mouse down on the eyedropper tool selection button)

for a horizon, click and drag with ruler tool from left to right at the horizon
    it retains the measurement
    image/rotate canvas/arbitrary... click ok

Botheration. I couldn't find it there yesterday. Must look again at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Its there alright Calina. Took me a while to find it too :) Ruler tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slidersedge

Learn to use the program,and don't say it has not got something before you have thought yourself the software,i hate people that say this is bad software,or it doses not have something,because they have not even learned the basic of a software progame
    sorry but i am angery
    slider

• Advertisement

You're angry at me for asking for pointers on where to find things in a piece of software?

What is the problem here? It's not like I've trashed the software in any respect. I think you're over-reacting.

okay so... [cough]fanboy[/cough]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Lot of angry people out there today

Must be sore heads from the weekend!

well I did hit my head off a surfboard twice at the weekend but still...

pfft, you should learn to use a surf board properly before you go and do things like that. ;)

Advertisement