Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geographical Investigation

Options
  • 10-03-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I am currently in the middle of my mocks. We finish on Friday and then have Easter holidays for two weeks.
    As far as I'm aware the Geographical Investigation is due in on the 25th of next month. We don't have another Geography class until the start of April and a few days later the orals begin.
    Is there any chance my class will be able to carry out the GI and if not will the teacher be held accountable?I know we will lose the 20% but what obligations do the teachers have with regards carrying this out?
    We have constantly hassled him about organising it and it is only now I'm starting to worry due to an oversight on the submission date on my behalf.
    I find Geography a relatively easy subject and it's a shame to think my prospects of getting an A will be affected because of a teachers attitude.
    If we do somehow manage to complete it how much time and effort is required to get full marks or near to full marks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I am currently in the middle of my mocks. We finish on Friday and then have Easter holidays for two weeks.
    As far as I'm aware the Geographical Investigation is due in on the 25th of next month. We don't have another Geography class until the start of April and a few days later the orals begin.
    Is there any chance my class will be able to carry out the GI and if not will the teacher be held accountable?I know we will lose the 20% but what obligations do the teachers have with regards carrying this out?
    We have constantly hassled him about organising it and it is only now I'm starting to worry due to an oversight on the submission date on my behalf.
    I find Geography a relatively easy subject and it's a shame to think my prospects of getting an A will be affected because of a teachers attitude.
    If we do somehow manage to complete it how much time and effort is required to get full marks or near to full marks?

Did you actually carry out the investigation yet?Because if you didnt I cant see you getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

You have until school finishes really.

April 25th is the date you're meant to stop working on it, but it won't be collected until June.

It doesn't take long. You could write it up in a week. Just look at last year's marking schemed and fill out your booklet accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Finishing my pre's friday, 2 weeks of easter, then orals and stuff and we haven't touched the GI yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow thats a disgrace, we did ours last September and wrote up mock ones last october (spent about 2 weeks at them), and then we wrote up our real ones after the mid terms a few feeks ago spending about 2-3 weeks on them with the teacher going through them all making sure we get full marks.

I don't see how a teacher could say they don't have a obligation its their job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 klassykieran

The geography "Field Study" will probably stay with me till my grave. i wouldnt wish it on anybody! my class went on the last october and im still not finished writing it up now! the amount of times i've written it up but its still not perfect! plus my teachers an idiot so that doesnt help,im pretty much on my own with it. thats **** for ye,20% gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Does anyone know if the word count has to be adhered to rigidly for the actual writing up of ther project. I'm about 15 to 20 words over in most places(is this too much over?) along with being 35 words under the limit for Results, Conclusions and Evaluation(is this too much under?).

Also, do all of you have the same one as the rest of your class? Like our teacher just told us what to write for most of it. Like we all have different figures for the results but all the writing is the same, as in Intro, planning, Evaluation, etc. Will we lose marks for everyone having practically the same one? Or does every school do it like that? Our teacher said it's the presentation and different figures for results that matter.

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the word count has to be adhered to rigidly for the actual writing up of ther project. I'm about 15 to 20 words over in most places(is this too much over?) along with being 35 words under the limit for Results, Conclusions and Evaluation(is this too much under?).

Also, do all of you have the same one as the rest of your class? Like our teacher just told us what to write for most of it. Like we all have different figures for the results but all the writing is the same, as in Intro, planning, Evaluation, etc. Will we lose marks for everyone having practically the same one? Or does every school do it like that? Our teacher said it's the presentation and different figures for results that matter.
    Theres no limit for how much your under so don't worry about that.

And to be honest going over 15-20 words in most places is nothing... its perfect like.
    the only way it would get noticed is if it was hundreds over (really tiny writing all the way throughout), come on you hardly expect them to count the words no do ya...

Ya all the class will probably be doing the same project and obviously its going to sound fairly repetive, results will be the same but try to change around the words a bit.
    IF YOU HAVE THE EXACT SAME REPORT YOU WILL LOSE MORE THAN MARKS, YOU WILL GET BANNED FROM THE LEAVING CERT!
    so just change them around a bit, nothing to excessive
    sorry about caps but I thought it would emphasise my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

deise59 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. Finishing my pre's friday, 2 weeks of easter, then orals and stuff and we haven't touched the GI yet

I presume your in one of Mr.O Doherty's Geography classes in DLS judging by your username. It's farcical really. I'm starting to get worried now purely because it probably will interfere with the orals in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Well how bout that for a coincidence!
    Yeah its crazy, especially since I don't have my Irish pre orals until the week I come back from Easter. Then the following week is the week of the actual Irish orals and my Music practical. Then the next week is the French Orals. Then the next week is the week to write up the Geo. Investigation and my History Research topic. How we're going to fit in a whole GI into that I'll never know.

Even getting the right day to go off to Wicklow for the report will be impossible. Our class is fairly huge so we won't be able to find a day where nobody wont have orals, practicals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I can't believe you haven't even gone on the Field Study, your teacher has a lot to answer for!

If it's any help, considering you live in Waterford, you could go to Woodstown Strand, that's where my class went. It would be much easier for you than going to Wicklow. Ours was on Coastal Erosion and Woodstown is perfect for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tyddler

Hey I have finished my mock Geographical investigation and over Easter I have to write it up for real...Im just wondering about the word count. Do you count the small words like, a, the, we, in, I, etc.? Because if so I am over the word count by a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Tyddler wrote: »
    Do you count the small words like, a, the, we, in, I, etc.? Because if so I am over the word count by a good bit.

yes

yes
    Lads seriously they don't actually count the words, these people who correct it have to read over so many papers like, obviously if your writing is tiny and your've every page filled to the brim then your going to get penalised but your not going to get in trouble if your only a 100 words over.

How much are you over Tyddler and is it obvious from just looking at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Is there any chance my class will be able to carry out the GI and if not will the teacher be held accountable?

Can you carry out a GI? Yes. Can you carry out a good GI? Probably not. But do SOMETHING. If ye hand up anything at all, at least ye have some marks, even if its only 5-10%. Marks can easily be regained on the written paper if ya know your stuff.
    I know we will lose the 20% but what obligations do the teachers have with regards carrying this out?
    It's on the bloody curriculum! Of course he's obliged to do it! If he refuses to do it, he's doing a crap job and ye should report him to the Principal / Department.
    CoolCiaran wrote: »
    Nah not really! The examiner won't do a word count because it's extremely tedious. But don't explicitly state that you went over the limit.
    I did my report lasy year and it came to 1015 words, I think. But in the word count box I wrote 994, just so it was under 1000. And they obviously didn't find out since I got my A1!!!:D:D
    CoolCiaran wrote:

There was only 4 in my class, so we all did the same investigation and had all the same figures. But we wrote our reports in different ways and drew different types of graphs / diagrams to make them more different.
    There's no problem with a class doing the same investigation, just change a few words in the written part to make yours look different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

Thanks square igloo! Jeez i haven't even asked a question on this and you've helped me! Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

you're welcome!! :D:D been there and done it, and I know it can be a right pain in the ass to complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I presume your in one of Mr.O Doherty's Geography classes in DLS judging by your username. It's farcical really. I'm starting to get worried now purely because it probably will interfere with the orals in some way.
    I'm in DLS too....Haven't got Mr.O Doherty, but our class hasn't done it yet either. We got a couple of maps and talked about it for about 40mins, but we haven't really done anything yet! I think theres 3 geog. classes in DLS for LC and none have started it yet!!!

Advertisement