Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Updated Maps

• 10-03-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

I just bought a second hand Nuvi 660 and there are new maps available for it. When I entered the serial number etc it basically is saying that they will ship me the update and customers outside the US will have to pay all fees and charges. Is there not a way to download them rather getting them shipped to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

They are usually on BitTorrent.

You'll still need to buy the code from Garmin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Thanks. I thought it was a free update though.

edit: I went ahead and ordered it. I didnt have to give any credit card details so I guess it will be free. It will take 4-6 weeks though apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

BFassassin wrote: »

edit: I went ahead and ordered it. I didnt have to give any credit card details so I guess it will be free. It will take 4-6 weeks though apparently.

It shouldn't cost you anything - the fees and charges referred to are VAT or customs duty in your own country. Usually it will just arrive in the post - no charge.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BFassassin wrote: »

You pay for the unlock code, not for the Update DVD, unless the unit is eligible for a free upgrade (registered and purchase date is after 1st December 07).

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You pay for the unlock code, not for the Update DVD, unless the unit is eligible for a free upgrade (registered and purchase date is after 1st December 07).

Not entirely true, I know of a case where a friend of mine managed to get a free update disk for a nuvi360 which was purchased in July 07. He put in the original purchase date when he registered his unit a couple of weeks ago. The update disk came with the code on the back of it and he had no bother updating his unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not entirely true, I know of a case where a friend of mine managed to get a free update disk for a nuvi360 which was purchased in July 07. He put in the original purchase date when he registered his unit a couple of weeks ago. The update disk came with the code on the back of it and he had no bother updating his unit.
    Well that's how it's supposed to work. I guess Garmin aren't too finicky about the specifics..

Hopefully I'll get the update disk no problems.
    The application for it went smoothly so I just have to wait and see now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I recently bought a garmin 250W. I think im due an update. I've registered on garmin.com do I need to do anything else? Will a dvd just arrived in the post or do I need to order one specifically ?

When you registered on mygarmin, did it tell you that there was an update available for your unit. You may however have the latest maps on your nuvi 250 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

bombidol wrote: »
    I recently bought a garmin 250W. I think im due an update. I've registered on garmin.com do I need to do anything else? Will a dvd just arrived in the post or do I need to order one specifically ?

Go have a look at your MyGarmin every so often - stuff turns up there without any notification to you by email or anything - you may find (a) an unlock code and (b) a button to click to order a free update DVD.
    db.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Theres an unlock code there alright but no order DVD button.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

bombidol wrote: »

If it's a recent purchase it should already have the latest mapping.
    I bought the same unit just before Christmas from Pixmania and it has the latest maps without any updating.

I got the update dvd and its updating it now. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

My Dad got a Nuvi 250w for Christmas but the maps are still crap. Didnt get any map updates only software updates through the Garmin WebUpdater program. There are some really old roads that arent even on it e.g. my brother lives in Hollystown in Fingal beside the golf club but the old road (Hollystown Demense / The Oaks) or even the golf club arent even on it.
    Checkout: http://tinyurl.com/2k3ck6
    Anyone with new map updates got this road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rinnin wrote: »
    My Dad got a Nuvi 250w for Christmas but the maps are still crap. Didnt get any map updates only software updates through the Garmin WebUpdater program. There are some really old roads that arent even on it e.g. my brother lives in Hollystown in Fingal beside the golf club but the old road (Hollystown Demense / The Oaks) or even the golf club arent even on it.
    Checkout: http://tinyurl.com/2k3ck6
    Anyone with new map updates got this road?
    Yep it's definitely there.

2jbjnkk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And it's not there on V9 so you need to chase the map upgrade. I have V9 and 2008 (V10) on my laptop and can flip between the two, when I switch from 2008 to V9 the golf club disappears.

This is what that area looks like in V9, sorry but I don't know how to imbed the picture inline....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 allanct

I have just bought a Nuvi 250. It was advertised as having "Preloaded 2008 City Navigator® NT Europe (full coverage) UK & Ireland & Europe Maps" and I checked this on the phone before ordering as I did not want to be bothered having to update it.
    You can imagine my disappointment in finding on receipt that it only has NT Version 9.
    I have registered the unit with Garmin and they are sending me an update disk but before I take this up with the company that supplied it I would be grateful for some clarification as to just what the upgrade involves. From what I have read here I shall need to get a USB cable to connect the unit to my PC but are there any other costs involved as I shall attempt to get the supplier to cough up:mad:.
    Allan

You'll need a PC with a DVD drive and you'll need to purchase or borrow a USB cable, nothing else.

BTW, a whole paragraph of bold text is a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 allanct

Thanks for the info.
    I am sorry about the bold text. It was my first post and I copied a quote from a website that was in bold and did not realise the whole message was like that until i posted it.
    Hopefully this one complies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Have a dig round your USB cables before you buy one - the Garmin official one is overpriced. I found 2 cables that worked - one was from my camera, can't remember what the other was from.

BTW Garmin told me that there is no way to tell from outside the retail box what mapping version is installed so the company you bought from really couldn't tell without powering it up - maybe all the ones they had seen to date had NT2008 mapping - if I were the retailer that's what I would tell you anyway!! db.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

coylemj wrote: »
    And it's not there on V9 so you need to chase the map upgrade. I have V9 and 2008 (V10) on my laptop and can flip between the two, when I switch from 2008 to V9 the golf club disappears.

This is what that area looks like in V9, sorry but I don't know how to imbed the picture inline....
    Hi, Coylemj. Can you help me? Just got my update DVD and amazed to see that 78 houses near me - up about 25/30years - are not included! Is this typical? The DVD is named "Map Update 2008. City Navigator Europe NT" I see no reference to V9 or V10. Maybe they did'nt send me the latest? Hope I did'nt upset your thread. Thanks Michael r. ps How do you get your gps onto your pc? pps Am a bit of a newbie to GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

From what I have read here I shall need to get a USB cable to connect the unit to my PC but are there any other costs involved as I shall attempt to get the supplier to cough up:mad:.
    Allan

My Nokia DKE-2 USB cable works fine with the 250W.

Sorry for the confusion, when we refer to V10 we mean 2008, the discussion threads that preceded the launch of 2008 refered to the next version as 'V10' so a lot of discussion threads still refer to the current version (2008) as V10. Garmin obviously never talk about V10 since there officially is no such thing.

On the USB cable, it's called USB to mini USB and you should be able to borrow one from a friend no problem, they come with most digital cameras/Webcams/some GPS models/some mobile phones etc. I have about 5 of them.

Send me a private message (click on my userid on the left) and tell me the address of those houses or just post it here in a public reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

I bought a Nuvi 660 last year, went online registered and they sent out an update cd with a code for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JoJo123

I need to download maps of France onto my Garmin Nuvi but Im a total techno-spaz and have no idea where to start. Can anyone help me? The Garmin website isn't very helpful at all...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi guys,
    I have got a Garmin 760 Sat Nav System which is registered with Garmin.How does one go about updating maps on the Garmin website?Are the first set of updates free after you register?
    Ta Selig

It depends on what version maps came pre installed on your unit. City Navigator 2008 are the latest offering and they will remain that way up until Dec of this year at the earliest. It your unit has ver9.0 maps, then yes you may be entitled to a free upgrade. This information should be available to you on your mygarmin page.

Its unlikely that you would qualify for a free upgrade next year.

JoJo123 wrote: »
    I need to download maps of France onto my Garmin Nuvi but Im a total techno-spaz and have no idea where to start. Can anyone help me? The Garmin website isn't very helpful at all...

thanks

As far as I know you will need to purchase them on an SD card
    http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/maps/garminfrancebeneluxmicrosdcard.html
    or
    http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-city-navigator-france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I have a Garmin nuvi 300 and I recently installed a map update, but when I enter some locations, it still seems to have trouble finding them???

Any suggestions???

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

hi all

sorry for the stupid question but where do i find the serial number. i have tried the number on the back of the unit. but no good, the site says that does not exist it is a garmin nuvi 360 bought over the net

Advertisement