Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Skoda Superb

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when the new Superb will be on sale? The Geneva pictures look good. I am nursing my excellent 2005 1.9 TDI 130 bhp automatic until I can replace it with the 2.0 DSG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

We were told by a dealer that they would be out around end of September/October this year. Looking forward to seeing it then!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have also heard that skoda will be making aVRS version of the superb.
    200bhp petrol
    170bhp diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

kceire wrote: »
    200bhp petrol
    170bhp diesel

Hardly enough to call it a VRs in a car that size though.

Biro wrote: »

well i suppose they may up the power from the current VRS range

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Biro wrote: »

Maybe call it a FRS - Fairly Rapid Superb :)

• Advertisement

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Maybe call it a FRS - Fairly Rapid Superb :)

good one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

VRS or no VRS?

its still a volkswagon for mean people.........not my words tho' and not my opinion. I like Skoda's and the people who drive em!

Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

VRS or no VRS?

its still a volkswagon for people with more sense than to pay VW prices.........

Honest.

+1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

VRS or no VRS?

its still a volkswagon for mean people.........not my words tho' and not my opinion. I like Skoda's and the people who drive em!

Honest.

a dull person buys a volkswagon , a dull person also buys a skoda but at least they can walk out of the dealers with 4 grand still in there wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I prefer the look of the superb to that of the passat. So much so I am going to look at 2 tomorrow, along with 2 Octavia's, with the intention of buying one. Having a hard time choosing between them, like the superb slightly better than the octavia, but the octavia does better MPG by about 9mpg, so that has put a spanner in the works, will just have to wait and see which one takes my fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

a dull person buys a volkswagon , a dull person also buys a skoda but at least they can walk out of the dealers with 4 grand still in there wallet

but an exciting person like yourself would buy a thrilling automatic diesel mondeo given the chance :rolleyes:...

I prefer the look of the superb to that of the passat. So much so I am going to look at 2 tomorrow, along with 2 Octavia's, with the intention of buying one. Having a hard time choosing between them, like the superb slightly better than the octavia, but the octavia does better MPG by about 9mpg, so that has put a spanner in the works, will just have to wait and see which one takes my fancy.

??? The Superb that's in show rooms at the moment is the mk1, they're chronic looking. Look like the old passat with an octavia grille, which was crap looking to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That would mean then that VW is, in effect, a tax on being stupid?

JHMEG wrote: »
    That would mean then that VW is, in effect, a tax on being stupid?

Maybe, but the dull person who walks out of the Skoda showroom with about a €1,500 saving (not 4 grand) on the Superb over the Passat will in fact loose their saving and far more on depreciation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

octyvrs wrote: »
    but an exciting person like yourself would buy a thrilling automatic diesel mondeo given the chance :rolleyes:...

too right i would

i like skoda and were i to go for a sensible car , i would choose the skoda ahead of the VW

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

some pic of the new Superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

At least a VW will hold it's value. Yes Skodas are cheaper but you will also loose a packet on depreciation(especially the Superb, the Fabia and Octavia aren't so badly affected), so whether they really are a VW for a lower price is debatable really unless you intend keeping it till the engine stops working.

For that reason I'd still go for a VW over a Skoda. If you're not going to be paying more for the privilege of running one, you might as well get a "better badge" while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

batman2000 wrote: »

Maybe it's one of those designs that will grow on me but my first reaction is OMG that's fugly!!!

I like the current car but not that one!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It might be fugly, but the boot is funky

Saloon\ hatchback in one. Cool

taken from autoexpress
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/218631/skoda_superb.html

car_photo_250176_25.jpg

car_photo_250173_25.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

E92 wrote: »
    At least a VW will hold it's value. Yes Skodas are cheaper but you will also loose a packet on depreciation(especially the Superb, the Fabia and Octavia aren't so badly affected), so whether they really are a VW for a lower price is debatable really unless you intend keeping it till the engine stops working.

For that reason I'd still go for a VW over a Skoda. If you're not going to be paying more for the privilege of running one, you might as well get a "better badge" while you're at it.

The bulk of Skodas are Fabia's and Octavia's. I haven't noticed a big difference in depreciation myself between VW and Skoda. But then you see silly prices for VW's with 100K on the clock. The Superb is going to lose more because its bigger and its not a very popular model, in that theres not many around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

The size is what I like about mine. It's build on an Audi A6 chassis, not a Passat, so the back is very spacious. As I'll be trading in to a Skoda dealer from whom I have bought several cars, I'm not too worried about the trade-in value.

The hatchback feature on the new one looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Are they still built on the A6 platform?

They hatchback come saloon idea is a pure gimmick, but it's a gimmick I really like actually!

Presumably the new common rail diesels will be sold in it rather than the uber noisy PD engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

batman2000 wrote: »

Was hoping for something nicer looking.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

They hatchback come saloon idea is a pure gimmick, but it's a gimmick I really like actually!

A gimmick that will be repeated across other models and other makes i'd say.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Are they still built on the A6 platform?
    The reports last week talked about the new version of Skoda's "big" saloon so I assume they are. If they want to keep existing Superb owners like me, it's unlikely that they would bring out a smaller version.

By the way I discovered this week that the Ministers in the Northern Ireland Executive have Superbs.

Michael G wrote: »
    The reports last week talked about the new version of Skoda's "big" saloon so I assume they are.

It's probably based on the VW Passat, which is what the last one was based on(and not the A6 as stated previously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

kceire wrote: »
    200bhp petrol
    170bhp diesel

They are bringing out a new 2.0D VRS 200BHP this summer/autumn

It's probably based on the VW Passat, which is what the last one was based on(and not the A6 as stated previously).
    No, it's longer than the Passat. It is basically a Passat but the chassis is the A6. (Or so I'm told by a Skoda dealer.)

• Advertisement

Michael G wrote: »
    No, it's longer than the Passat. It is basically a Passat but the chassis is the A6. (Or so I'm told by a Skoda dealer.)

That doesn't mean anything. The Octavia is a much bigger car than the Golf, but guess where all it's underpinnings came from:)?

The Superb is definately based on the Passat. Even the front doors are straight off a Passat(the rest of the exterior uses different parts though FWIW)! The interior bears more than a passing resemblance to the Passat(because most of the switchgear was taken from the Passat). They lengthened the chassis of the Passat for the last one by 10 cm, apart from that it's a Passat really;).

The Superb has never had anything to do with the Audi A6, apart from the fact Skoda and Audi are in the same company!

Advertisement