Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Skoda Superb

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I drove one about 14 months ago and it seems a much bigger car than a Passat. Very impressed with it, depreciation was the only reason we didn't buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

E92 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean anything. The Octavia is a much bigger car than the Golf, but guess where all it's underpinnings came from:)? ... The Superb is definately based on the Passat. The Superb has never had anything to do with the Audi A6, apart from the fact Skoda and Audi are in the same company!
    You might be right; I'm just passing on what I was told. But I don't really care. I have had three years of complete satisfaction with my Superb and I'm going to buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Are they still built on the A6 platform?

Errrrmmmm, but i dont belive they are built on an A6 floorplan. Eventhough Skoda are part of the VAG group as does Audi, the superb is based on a elongated old Vw Passat floorpan.

also, the point about skoda drivers walking out of the skoda showroom with 4k saved. Well, they save 4k - GREAT! But what do they do with it.........these people seem to be obsessed with shaving a few quid here and mising away there...........

what do they do with the 4k saved.......? Give it to charity.....put it away for the kids education? Donate it to AL Gore to try and save the planet? Doubt it. They just dont spend it........tho' they save it buy not buying the VW.
    They probably just look at the current account statement and get a warm glow by seeing it in the a/c - but in there - its doing fook all.

So - for ever and a day, they drive around a car with a badge saying "I'm a bit tight - and not ashamed of it"
    ohhhh and yes , depreciation is wicked on some skodas esp. high milers in the uk, you'll get one for 3ksterling up - see
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SKODA+SUPERB/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-9-19-4294966827-4294966834/search.action
    On the flip side,for a buyer - they could make an excellent bargain barge (if you put a paper bag over your head when you drive it!) ;-P

good on yis - as i said before - I like Skodas and their drivers.

Honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    They are bringing out a new 2.0D VRS 200BHP this summer/autumn

I've been following the new superb for a good while now and i've heard nothing of this.Afaik, the only engines coming at at launch are:

1.4 TSI 120bhp
    1.8 TSI 160bhp (7spd dsg and 4wd versions to follow)
    3.6 FSI 260bhp (dsg and 4wd as std)
    1.9 PD TDI 105BHP
    2.0 PD TDI 140bhp (dsg option)
    2.0 CR TDI 170bhp (dsg and 4wd versions to follow)

Its possible that the 3.6 will be badged an vRS but i've heard nothing of any other engines.That said, that 1.9 TDI will probably be gone in the near future.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I've been following the new superb for a good while now and i've heard nothing of this.Afaik, the only engines coming at at launch are:

1.4 TSI 120bhp
    1.8 TSI 160bhp (7spd dsg and 4wd versions to follow)
    3.6 FSI 260bhp (dsg and 4wd as std)
    1.9 PD TDI 105BHP
    2.0 PD TDI 140bhp (dsg option)
    2.0 CR TDI 170bhp (dsg and 4wd versions to follow)

Its possible that the 3.6 will be badged an vRS but i've heard nothing of any other engines.That said, that 1.9 TDI will probably be gone in the near future.....

Current Superb has the 1.9 pd at 115bhp, I hope they do not drop it to 105 bhp considering its size/weight.

I have to say i like the look of the new car, I do not think the 140 will fall into my company allowance, so I am hoping for a 115 elegence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The vRS will be a 3.6 FSI V6 with more than 300 bhp.

Putting in the antiquated PD diesels is a big mistake, especially with our new VRT system, where engine capacity no longer matters, and especially when we're on the brink of changing from one of the most if not THE most diesel phobic country in Europe to being one that will one of the biggest embracers of diesel engines in Europe(the SIMI thinks 70% of us will buy a new car next year will buy diesel, now considering last year only 1 in 4 new car buyers bought diesel, that's a changeover of epic proportions, in other places that have taken to diesel engines, the change from petrol towards diesel took much longer and was more constant and I'd say that's a bit conservative as only Fiesta sized and smaller realistically do better in petrol form price-wise) under our new VRT system.

Come July, diesel will be all the rage here(even before the changeover, 33% of new car sales this year already are diesel), so good bang up to date diesels are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I just looked at Skoda's international website.

It will have the antiquated diesels, though for some odd reason the most powerful 2.0 TDI, the 170 version will have the new common rail engine.

Worse still is that the GreenLine model, the model with the lowest CO2, is in the lowest VRT bracket for Ireland is the 1.9 TDI PD. So everyone is going to be buying this engine here then obviously.

And it does have only 105 bhp.

The Octavia vRS will get the new common rail diesel soon though replacing the PD unit current found in diesel vRS Octavias, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

E92 wrote: »
    I just looked at Skoda's international website.

It will have the antiquated diesels, though for some odd reason the most powerful 2.0 TDI, the 170 version will have the new common rail engine.

Worse still is that the GreenLine model, the model with the lowest CO2, is in the lowest VRT bracket for Ireland is the 1.9 TDI PD. So everyone is going to be buying this engine here then obviously.

And it does have only 105 bhp.

The Octavia vRS will get the new common rail diesel soon though replacing the PD unit current found in diesel vRS Octavias, which is a good thing.

I hope they are very competitve on their 140 bhp then because they may lose their target base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The 105 1.9tdi may be a very old engine but yourr average irish joe soap does'nt seem to care.That engine is still selling very well in the passat.Nearly all the new passats you see in this country use that engine.Its not that slow after all and always has sufficient grunt for safe overtaking.Its a noisy engine when started up but when on the move it aint too bad at all.I, personally would take the 2.0tdi anyday, would be well woth the extra.Shame the 140 version in the superb aint CR.Dont think that skoda alone are being deprived, though.The vw tiguan, also a recently launced car also uses the pd 140 unit.Audi appear to have exclusive use at the moment.Cant be for too long though....BTW, i wonder how much a nicely specced superb 170 tdi 4wd will cost when its launched??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Actually, the Passat was based on the old A6 chassis, and the Superb was based on a slightly stretched Passat chassis. The current A6 chassis is on it's own, not shared by Passat or Superb, cause it's aluminium and too expensive for the other two cars. So the new B6 Passat is actually on a longer Golf Chassis, which will be what the Superb will be based on. The engine changed from always being in-line in the Passats to being transverse in the B6 model, which increased cabin space. I expect the Superb to be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

.........these people seem to be obsessed with shaving a few quid here and mising away there....... ....they drive around a car with a badge saying "I'm a bit tight - and not ashamed of it"....put a paper bag over your head when you drive it!.......

Thats a bit of inane idea, as it doesn't stop at the A6. Why buy an A6 unless your too tight buy a A8 or a S Class. You talk like 4k is pocket change. I don't even know any well off people who think like that. Money is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats a bit of inane idea, as it doesn't stop at the A6. Why buy an A6 unless your too tight buy a A8 or a S Class. You talk like 4k is pocket change. I don't even know any well off people who think like that. Money is money.

BostonB, Chill - I'm taking the mick to a degree.
    But I'am questionaing the who idea of saving money at purchase - when depreciation is wicked on trade in on some of these Skodas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB, Chill - I'm taking the mick to a degree.
    But I'am questionaing the who idea of saving money at purchase - when depreciation is wicked on trade in on some of these Skodas.

You can't save money on any car. Its an expense.

Cars can be pitched too far (too expensive) for their brands image. Superb, Phaeton etc.

Advertisement