Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New School in Galway

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Secondary school...any info please PM me...quite interested in this one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

are you talking about the proposed Gael Scoil in Knockncarra that's been on the agenda for years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its a field, no money has been allocated for a building of any sort....not even a prefab.

What about the other field in Doughiska thats supposed to be a school too??

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/residents-welcome-new-school-for-doughiska/
    Galway City VEC has lodged an application for planning permission with Galway City Council for a school in Galway’s fastest growing suburb of Doughiska. A site notice has also been erected and it is expected that Galway City Council will issue a decision no later than October

So we have two fields in Galway that may become secondary schools but where is the money pray tell ???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its a field, no money has been allocated for a building of any sort....not even a prefab.

So we have two fields in Galway that may become secondary schools but where is the money pray tell ???

I'd imagine it's busy building schools in suburbs of Dublin where the population has grown a lot more than here. Not more as in faster (yup, Galway is the fastest growing European city and all), but more as greater numbers of people. (1.5 million vs 70,000).

Are there children and young people in Galway who cannot get into secondary school at present, because there aren't enough classrooms and/or teachers for them? Really, that would be the only argument for building more schools here. Even then, it's probably better to add classrooms to existing schools than to set up whole new schools.

Agreed, it's a pain having kids crossing the city to get to school, but really it's no worse for them than for the adults who do the same to get to jobs. And they help keep bus-services viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It does become a serious problem when a sizable percentage of the parents in the city insist on bringing a single sprog across town by car and then crossing back in the opposite direction to work. Once the schools close for the summer it feels like a different city beside me due to the traffic reduction.

If anything public transport is heavily under used for schools and I wouldn't describe what's available as a service. Also, the buses become a lot more usable when they aren't blocked by school traffic.

It does become a serious problem when a sizable percentage of the parents in the city insist on bringing a single sprog across town by car and then crossing back in the opposite direction to work. Once the schools close for the summer it feels like a different city beside me due to the traffic reduction

Very very true. However the way schools operate in Ireland they cannot be made move from the small area they occupy on the west side to where the business is .

You even had the Bish announce a move to land owned by NUIG in Dangan a few years back....without having any agreement with NUIG to buy it .

One each of the boys and girls secondaries should move east , pronto, as should the empty st pats national school on the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Know all about the school in Knocknacarra, meant the one in Doughiska...seems to be a bit up in the air. Funding a no no at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It does become a serious problem when a sizable percentage of the parents in the city insist on bringing a single sprog across town by car and then crossing back in the opposite direction to work. Once the schools close for the summer it feels like a different city beside me due to the traffic reduction.

Easily fixed by targetted school buses: pick the sprogletts up from holding-pens in the East, bus 'em through town without letting 'em get off anywhere except the school gates. Reverse the procedure in the afternoon. Oh ... you might have to call the holding-pens "after-school-care" or some warm-fuzzy name, but the idea is the same.

Bus Eireann's factory buses work effectively and reliably ... no reason why school buses couldn't do so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I agree. The only major impediments to school buses working correctly are funding, planning. parental cooperation and of course Bus Eireann. If less parents felt the need to deliver their sprog all the way to the school gate by car the lack of bus lanes might even become less problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

JustMary wrote: »
    (yup, Galway is the fastest growing European city and all)

Indeed it was... In 1996. It came up in my college studies at the time. And a piece of rainforest the size of Wales has been destroyed every day since.

Oh and Marilyn Manson is actually Paul from the Wonder Years.

The real unsatisfied demand is actually outside the city to the east and thats where any money available this year will be spent .

Claregalway, furthermore, has been earmarked as a priority area because Oranmore is full and Kinvara will be closing ....although that builder reputedly did not cough up the money to the nuns yet so its still open for a while although it was supposed to close this year. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement