Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOOH Im BANNED

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

On the Motors page some user called another a Retard for not driving on the hard sholder and letting the WA**ER pass. So i post a message basically saying no sir it is you who is the retard (a term that i havent used or hear used in 20years), my point being that the name caller should take a look in a mirror (what ever name he wants to call himself).

Another point i would like to make is that i think this web site seems to have WAYYYYYYYY to many moderators. I think it would be a lot better site if there were fewer moderators. If people find conversations getting too hot or using inappropriate language, then point the moderator in the direction of the offending message. Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

A link to the thread in question is customary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Grinderman wrote: »
    Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.

Why do you feel a need to resort to strong language? It takes away from an argument.

As for less Mods? Don't see any reason why that would be needed. The more there are, the more they are able to cover. Its a busy little site this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You called someone a retard and you're surprised you are banned? Personal abuse is a bannable offence here. You should have just reported the post where the first guy called someone a retard and let the moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.
    It's a privately owned forum to which the public have access providing they follow the rules. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

It's a privately owned forum to which the public have access providing they follow the rules. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Im guessing you are also a moderator

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You must be some sort of rocket scientist.

Guessing? It says it right there...
    CuLT wrote: »
    You must be some sort of rocket scientist.

I'm guessing you're an admin?

You called someone a retard and you're surprised you are banned? Personal abuse is a bannable offence here. You should have just reported the post where the first guy called someone a retard and let the moderator deal with it.

Can you read
    It was my way of telling the person to TAKE A LOOK IN A MIRROR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can you read
    So next time use those words. Tone and implication can be very hard to pick up in text.

Resorting to calling the user names to "make a point" is idiotic when you can make the point in other, more direct ways.

So we have
    Moderators, Administrators, Developers and one or two registered users (at the bottom of the barrel)
    So lots of Admin, Moderating and Developing and very little free speech

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

So we have
    Moderators, Administrators, Developers and one or two registered users (at the bottom of the barrel)

You don't get free speech on a privately owned website.

Again, privately owned website. No free speech.

I also fail to see how you're so shocked to see that mods, admins and developers look at the Feedback board. Its kinda the point of the board, that we take a look out, receive the Feedback and offer opinions much as anyone else is able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Beaten to it, never mind, move along

Can you read
    Why didn't you continue the debate in a mature and credible manner. Just ignore any such matters and stick to the debate at hand.

Silverfish wrote: »
    You don't get free speech on a privately owned website.

I thought it was a Forum to express ones self.
    If not, my mistake.

If not, my mistake.
    It is, within the forums rules.

Consider it to be like the pub, privately owned but you're allowed to come in and enjoy. However, cause commotion and you may very well find yourself outside in short time.

If not, my mistake.

So you express yourself by calling someone a retard? Very expressive. Why didn't you just say "take a look in the mirror"?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If not, my mistake.
    Sure, but within limitations. If you post here that xyz is a crook and a liar you're not the one who gets brought to court over it, we are.

FYI there have been several legal offences mounted against boards.ie for equivalent to what you've posted, believe it or not. Aside from a simple matter of courtesy, we avoid solicitors letters where possible simply because it's a waste of valuable time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can you read
    But you didn't say "take a look in the mirror" you called them a retard (well going on your opening post, I haven't seen the post you are refering to).

If you can't be civil to other posters then you get your posting rights removed. If that wasn't the case threads would be over-run with posters calling other people retards/dickheads/whatever simply because they didn't agree with their opinion. See the thunderdome for example.

So we have

Those tend to be the type of people who post here. Free speech doesn't extend to personal insults.

Each forum has a charter for a reason. Did you read it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

very little free speech
    **** like you really irritate me.

People sacrificed their lives so that we can enjoy free speech because it's actually pretty darn important that publishers should have freedom to publish what they see fit.

How dare you cite "free speech" when telling publishers that they should publish what you see fit, not them.

There's plenty of Fascist and Stalinist forums you can join instead if you want to fantasise about having the power to dictate what people allow on their websites. Why don't you go to one of them instead?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Talliesin wrote: »
    **** like you really irritate me.

In a feedback forum such as the this one where personal abuse is the key issue, by calling the OP a wanker, doesnt this put you in the fireing line for a banning too? 1 rule for everyone and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Who gives a shit? Pacman's back!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

In a feedback forum such as the this one where personal abuse is the key issue, by calling the OP a wanker, doesnt this put you in the fireing line for a banning too? 1 rule for everyone and such.
    No mods in Feedback = no bans! ;)

No mods in Feedback = no bans! ;)

You fcukin cnut.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ive just heard. Ive forgotten what I was even talking about. Woka woka woka:pac:

That was a quick response, my above comment here is about the return of pacman though. Ive moved on very quickly to things which interest me more.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You fcukin cnut.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If not, my mistake.

Internet anonymity is not a license to slander and harass. I express myself here all the time: people with birth defects should be sterilised to stop them from contaminating the gene pool. There. I said it.

What I didn't do is attack anyone who has a birth defect: it must be an awful thing to live with for some people. But if it were up to me, if we can remove those faults from our gene pool then nobody would have to suffer like that anymore. But of course gene therapy will blow my crude solution for this out of the water by the end of the century so, there you go. Freedom of Expression.

In every legal sense of the word (and the folks on the Legal Discussion forum will gladly back this up) you are committing a civil offense when you insult someone. Boards.ie is a public entity that is housed in the Irish interweb and as such is bound to Irish law. Hence if boards.ie harbored these insults and a user were to pursue legal action, Boards.ie takes that flak long before you do. You come into their server and piss on the carpet. Get the fuck out and do your pissing outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Again, privately owned website. No free speech.

This argument is always used and mostly to get mods off the hook. Its all well saying that and there is of course truth to it, however, if you dont treat posters fairly word gets out quickly about how people are treated by boards.ie etc etc which is not great advertising tbh. You would be supprised how a negative image can have very quick knock on effects. So using this argument on its own is not good enough IMO and is constantly dug up as an excuse. Ive only once seen a mod reprimanded on feedback amongst the many dodgy modding examples available to view here and practically every thread has this line in it somewhere. Its getting tiresome. Surely something more original can be thought of:)?

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Surely something more original can be thought of:)?
    "Bring it to Feedback" :pac:

Advertisement