Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOOH Im BANNED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,957 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

darkman2 wrote: »
    This argument is always used and mostly to get mods off the hook. Its all well saying that and there is of course truth to it, however, if you dont treat posters fairly word gets out quickly about how people are treated by boards.ie etc etc which is not great advertising tbh. You would be supprised how a negative image can have very quick knock on effects. So using this argument on its own is not good enough IMO and is constantly dug up as an excuse. Ive only once seen a mod reprimanded on feedback amongst the many dodgy modding examples available to view here and practically every thread has this line in it somewhere. Its getting tiresome. Surely something more original can be thought of:)?

I only ever see it used/use it myself when someone plays the hard done by 'stop oppressing my right to free speech' card. It's a nice trump to throw back at them ;)

\edit, forgot to include our little yellow friend.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Grinderman wrote: »
    Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.

LOL...you have free reign on here to attack Religion or anyone who holds a ''supernatural'' belief in something other than 'Karma' on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 waffler

shut up the whole lot of you and stop acted like fuc*ing bitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 waffler

thats acting and not acted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

OP!

You will find a bit of manners will open more doors in life if you learn to use some of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This argument is always used and mostly to get mods off the hook. Its all well saying that and there is of course truth to it, however, if you dont treat posters fairly word gets out quickly about how people are treated by boards.ie etc etc which is not great advertising tbh. You would be supprised how a negative image can have very quick knock on effects. So using this argument on its own is not good enough IMO and is constantly dug up as an excuse. Ive only once seen a mod reprimanded on feedback amongst the many dodgy modding examples available to view here and practically every thread has this line in it somewhere. Its getting tiresome. Surely something more original can be thought of:)?

Personally I've only ever seen it mentioned when someone feels they have been wronged because their right to free speech has been infringed. I can't think of how else to tell them that they don't have such a right here. IMO posters do get treated fairly here, and I'm saying that as a poster rather than a mod because the little corner of Boards I mod is quite small and doesn't require much intervention from me, so I spend most of my time elsewhere. Calling people names on a thread is going to get you banned, simple as that, and it's not a case of someone being treated unfairly. If you can't live with that simple rule there are plenty of sites out there that will allow you abuse people to your heart's content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

This argument is always used and mostly to get mods off the hook.
    Actually, I don't really care about whether or not people should be banned for calling someone a wanker in whatever forum the OP is complaining about. Comparing any bannings to freedom of speech issues is deeply offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,431 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i think this web site seems to have WAYYYYYYYY to many moderators

The forum you were banned in has about the lowest number of moderators per number of posts per time unit ;)

In fact, maybe it's time to ring the Guinness book of records to have them establish this officially...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

9438.jpg

**** freedom of speech lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I agree with the OP, his banning was harsh.

Then again, that's because I don't agree with automatic bannings for swearing or personal abuse, because when somebody's obviously a fucking moron I like to be able to say, simply, "You, sir, are a fucking moron" instead of having to waste my time trying to illustrate a point through line by line argument, especially when it's so succinctly summarised by the use of 'fucking moron'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

^ That'd be nice but who decides when someone's obviously a moron? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sherifu wrote: »
    ^ That'd be nice but who decides when someone's obviously a moron? :pac:
    Me.

OP, have you got a link to the thread?
    You can log out to view the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Terry wrote: »
    OP, have you got a link to the thread?
    You can log out to view the motors forum.
    This thread Terry.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thread: Drivers who cruise under the limit
    Grinderman's now deleted post was on page 6.
    someone mentioned the following:
    As I've said travelling at 50 - 80kph on a road which has a limit of 100kph is absolute stupidity. In fact it's retarded.
    Whilst not nice, it was not a direct insult.
    Grinderman retorted by saying to this poster:
    It's you who is the retard sir!.
    That was a direct insult and against the rules that are in place.
    Motors is, as already said, one of the less moderated forums within the boards empire. It works well most of the time. When people come on and think they can do something like this then they get banned. Simple as that! That I believe is why it does not frequently happen.

Now, Grinderman seems to have a chip on his/her shoulder against everything. Apparently because I was doing some work on my PC and didn't receive his first PM for almost twenty minutes after I PMed them regarding the ban, this seems to have given them the right to start getting snotty with me in a second PM (sent half an hour after the ban).

Grow up Grinderman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

This is the most cussin' I've seen in feedback. Ever.

So let me get this straight ... you are allowed to personally insult in feedback because there are no mods here!!! Cant be right. Is it!!!

Oh, and the OP's ban was a bit harsd IMO. Maybe he should have been PM'ed with a warning instead as he is fairly new here? I've also seen lots of "retard" pics posted and nothing done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Oh, and the OP's ban was a bit harsd IMO. Maybe he should have been PM'ed with a warning instead as he is fairly new here?
    He was PMed but the didn't take the warning on board! ;)
    Gandalf23 wrote:
    I've also seen lots of "retard" pics posted and nothing done about it.
    It depends on the Forum/Charter. It would result in an immediate ban in LTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

So let me get this straight ... you are allowed to personally insult in feedback because there are no mods here!!! Cant be right. Is it!!!

The Admins are the mods, if people have a problem with a post then report it. I've seen people banned for abuse here in the recent past.

That said a reported post doesnt mean you will get the result you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.
    Yawn. Oh, and Boards is a privately owned site so freedom of speech doesn't apply 100% - seeing as it can't.

This is the most cussin' I've seen in feedback. Ever.

oh my...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ibid wrote: »
    Who gives a shit? Pacman's back!!! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

t8wkl4ag0a1nbswn7r.gif

• Advertisement

@ sherifu ... thanks for your usuall insightful and helpful comment. Good to have an Internet Warrior like you around the place :D

InternetWarrior.jpg

Oh no gandalf23, b0rked link. Verdict.

Oh no gandalf23, b0rked link. Verdict.

haha ... have a read of this ... think it might be your autobiography ...

3903.jpg

That's right, you just keep reading feedback and complaining about it. :pac:

As for the OP, you can't use personal abuse in your arguments.

That's right, you just keep reading feedback and complaining about it. :pac:

As for the OP, you can't use personal abuse in your arguments.

And you just keep being, well YOU!!!

keyboardhero3zo.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

before this thread gets locked, just a quick nod to kbannon for deleting OP's post on the original thread. I often feel that pointless, insulting comments should often be deleted as they can dont offer any value to the discussion anyway.

Its something in particular that may be of more value to do in the more sensitive forums such as PI but thats up to those mods to decide. Or maybe im just an oversensitive water lilly floating on a pond of destitute! :p

I'd also like to big up kbannon and the other motors mods ... you guys are doing a fantastic job in a very busy (and sometimes heated) forum. Keep up the great work ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If people find conversations getting too hot or using inappropriate language, then point the moderator in the direction of the offending message. Instead of this "PC" attitude where you are afraid to use strong language or anything against the Government, Religion, USA etc.

F*ck Sh*t Poo

The government is not doing the best job that it could be doing under the circumstances.

Religion is a bad thing and scares and confuses me.

The USA are nuts and Bush will be the end of us all.

Now, there are all perfectly expressed opinions that will cause no problem.

Calling an actual person a retard is still considered personal abuse however.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

faceman wrote: »
    before this thread gets locked, just a quick nod to kbannon for deleting OP's post on the original.
    I'd also like to big up kbannon and the other motors mods ... you guys are doing a fantastic job in a very busy (and sometimes heated) forum. Keep up the great work ...
    Yaay - thats two more compliments to add to the boards page on my CV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

*sigh*

Advertisement