Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Rejected For Bagenalstown

Options
  • 11-03-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Lidl once again have been refused permission to establish themselves in the town of Bagenalstown thanks to a few local people who shall remain unnamed for legal reasons. This is a personal shame in my view as competition is needed in the town seeing as there is only one supermarket there that can pretty much dictate their prices. The opposition against the building seems to be a certain big business and several small ones according to rumours circulating the locality . Their reason being the trade they would stand to lose. These are unacceptable reasons to oppose a much needed supermarket. How is the town ever to expand if such businesses are refused permission. Outrageous...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

thats a crazy decision considering Tullow has a smaller population has a revamped supervalu, an Aldi and a new Tesco to open this Spring..

I think Londis in the centre of the town has closed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

lucylu wrote: »
    thats a crazy decision considering Tullow has a smaller population has a revamped supervalu, an Aldi and a new Tesco to open this Spring..

I think Londis in the centre of the town has closed ...

and centra is gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

There would appear to be something of a monoply in Bagenalstown, which isnt fair. However the proposed location for me was a poor choice, traffic around that area is already pretty hectic without the addition of a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

There would appear to be something of a monopoly in Bagenalstown, which isn't fair. However the proposed location for me was a poor choice, traffic around that area is already pretty hectic without the addition of a supermarket.

I agree totally with that "where's me jumpa". There is a severe monopoly in bagenalstown, a trading company that seems to think that it should have a say on all new buildings and amenities that dare venture to ask for permission to set up within bagenalstown. The small town is in dire need of a new company in the supermarket industry to come in and refresh the area and provide much needed competition for some of the shops and supermarket that is there now. It seems to be a veto on change is in place, or perhaps a veto on sharing profits if we were to dive deeper. An expanding little town which has seen an influx of 200 plus new residential houses in the last two years in one estate along, Bagenalstown needs to expand its shopping portfolio to cater for everyone's needs.

But be all that as it may, There are a minority in the town that no matter what site is picked, whatever company it is, no matter the employment it would provide it will always be objected to if it is seen as a direct threat to their profit margins. Such "thick-headedness " is the reason the town is not likely to expand any time soon, with the certain minority ruling the roost so as to speak.

It happens a lot tbh. My own village has been subject to similar objections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

its going ahead..down by the river...

clearin the site as i type this!

2nd july 2009.

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

It's a real shame about Lidl. At least construction of Aldi has started in bolgers yard.

so is it Aldi or Lidl ??

Lidl applied for planning for a site on the royal oak road and according to this thread that has been rejected. Aldi applied for planning for bolgers yard (beside river) which was approved. so the current construction project is an Aldi build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lilltanya1

The only thing I would say about Lidl and aldi is while i agree they are great I think we have to get more of a culture in ireland of buying Irish again and Superquinn is a great supermarket that have brought down their prices, also supervalue .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

dont mean to go off topic.
    but i could never go to superquinn after they were bought over, they seem cheap and plasticy. lild or aldi, a lot of them actually use Irish sourced food, or products, and get them at a great deal. altho, half their stock does usually come from germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Haven't noticed anything cheap or plastic about SQ, usually the opposite.

One thing I find about Aldi & Lidl is that they don't seem to restock throughout the day. Often see loads of empty or nearly empty pallets and bins. Its just my perception so I maybe I'm entirely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

lilltanya1 wrote: »
    The only thing I would say about Lidl and aldi is while i agree they are great I think we have to get more of a culture in ireland of buying Irish again and Superquinn is a great supermarket that have brought down their prices, also supervalue .

Im not having a go but its all well and good saying buy irish, but at the moment myself and the partner are both on social welfare due to redundancies earlier in the year. We can do a weekly shop at lidl for in around 35euro and get our meat at the butchers but when we do that same shop again minus meat but same products obviously different brands in supervalu it comes to close to 70euro. Thats a lot of money when you have very little and weve only woken up to this now that were on a tight budget. To be honest unless Lidl was kicked out of Ireland I doubt I will ever go back to shopping in Irish supermarkets unless its in for 1 or 2 small things I need. For our household anyway its just not feasible.

I totally agree with that. If I'm doing a shop I always go to Lidl. I do pop in to tesco if I need a few bits late in the evenings but that's just cause its so close to me.

I find it funny that the site that is now an Aldi in Bagenalstown was once wanted by Niall Quinn to build a hotel and the powers that be in Bagenalstown rejected it. Its a great site, great location to give off an image of the town. The right hotel would have looked the part and now they are left with an Aldi being the first thing you see soming into Bagenalstown from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

I find it funny that the site that is now an Aldi in Bagenalstown was once wanted by Niall Quinn to build a hotel and the powers that be in Bagenalstown rejected it. Its a great site, great location to give off an image of the town. The right hotel would have looked the part and now they are left with an Aldi being the first thing you see soming into Bagenalstown from that direction.

I agree 100%. Fantastic location for a hotel, natural split level site with great views over the river. Would have surely been very popular for weddings. Aldi is welcome but should have been accomodated elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 upthepark

Lidl coming to Tullow now, planning premission has been granted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Is it true that Lidl has succedded in getting permission for the Bagenalstown after appealing??

I agree 100%. Fantastic location for a hotel, natural split level site with great views over the river. Would have surely been very popular for weddings. Aldi is welcome but should have been accomodated elsewhere.

It will add much needed competition to the town just a shame the location wasnt better used.

When will it be open?

upthepark wrote: »
    Lidl coming to Tullow now, planning premission has been granted;)

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 upthepark

Brophys Agri Site on Abbey Street

Article in the Tullow Notes of the Carlow People today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lilltanya1

Well i'm sorry but if Aldi goes where Niall Thingy's hotel was its another case of terrible planning yet again, have you ever tried to drive around bagenalstown , there are always silly traffic jams on that street where the garda station is cause the street is narrow enough and there is parking both sides , can you imagine if Aldi is down the end of that street , its going to be 10 times worse:confused:

lilltanya1 wrote: »
    Well i'm sorry but if Aldi goes where Niall Thingy's hotel was its another case of terrible planning yet again, have you ever tried to drive around bagenalstown , there are always silly traffic jams on that street where the garda station is cause the street is narrow enough and there is parking both sides , can you imagine if Aldi is down the end of that street , its going to be 10 times worse:confused:

AFAIK Aldi will be in Bolgers yard, so it will almost be on the Leighlinbridge road as opposed to being in the market square. Its probably the best location for it in that its central and will have room for parking. Its just a shame the site wasnt used for something more attractive as Niall Quinn was planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I cant wait for it to be built. I hope it puts Connelly's (Super Value) out of business! Bagenalstown would of been a fine town only for them lot rejecting new business' everytime someone makes an effort.

The sugar factory would of been in Bagenalstown years ago only for they objected the plannin. It would of been a thriving town instead of a bitter hole it is now.

*Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Watchman99

When are Aldi / Lidl opening?

I heard Lidl has been rejected again - anyone got any info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Watchman99

paulfitzg wrote: »
    I heard Lidl has been rejected again - anyone got any info on this?

Just heard that now myself - it's true, they've been refused planning. :(
    On a brighter note, when are Aldi opening? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Dboy85 wrote: »
    I cant wait for it to be built. I hope it puts Connelly's (Super Value) out of business! Bagenalstown would of been a fine town only for them lot rejecting new business' everytime someone makes an effort.

The sugar factory would of been in Bagenalstown years ago only for they objected the plannin. It would of been a thriving town instead of a bitter hole it is now.

*Rant over

I agree with this completely for too many years they have stopped massive potential developments in the town through stupid objections. I've spent a lot of time in the town for the past six years and to think if a quarter of the developments that were objected to had gone through the town would be a much more appealing place for its inhabitants and people passing through. Why the hotel in bolgers yard was rejected i'll never know, it would have been a prime location for a hotel with the scenic view of the barrow. I guess its something that there is something being built there now although it would be better as a site for a hotel than aldi.

As far as i know one of the town's own residents told me last saturday that lidl has once again been rejected for the proposed site in doctor gavins field near conway park.

Anyone got any info on when Aldi will open in Bagenalstown. The main structure is looking well advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

According to todays Nationalist

Article,

Lidl ruling ‘a disaster for town’

Last Updated Nov 2009

by Brendan Lawrence

PLANS FOR a Lidl store in Bagenalstown have been put on hold after a second application by the company was refused by An Bord Pleanála. The proposed retail outlet would have consisted of a large store with 161 car parking spaces at Moneybeg on the Royal Oak Road, but the German chain store must now go back to the drawing board and decide if they want to apply a third time.

Tim Dunne from Bagenalstown, who is one of the objectors to the proposed store, has told The Nationalist that he and his fellow objectors have nothing against the store coming to the town, but just not at that site. “Myself and the other objectors were very pleased with this decision to refuse planning,” explained Tim.

“We have nothing against Lidl coming to Bagenalstown, but it’s the wrong development for that particular site. That’s our whole objection. There are plenty of other sites. Aldi has gone down to Bolger’s Yard and the best site for Lidl would be the Fair Oak Food site. What was proposed would be visually intrusive in a prime location on the main approach road to Bagenalstown. It would be a wrong development for that particular site,” he added.

But councillor Denis Foley, who has long been an advocate of bringing the Lidl and Aldi stores to Bagenalstown, says that this decision by An Bord Pleanála is nothing short of a disaster for the town.

“I was shocked when I heard the news. This is a disaster for Bagenalstown,” said councillor Foley.

“It’s hard to believe that in a time of deep recession, when you have people who are willing to invest money in Bagenalstown, that An Bord Pleanála would turn down this application.

Carlow County Council went out of their way to make sure everything was correct. We rezoned the land from residential to town centre. This wouldn’t happen in any other country in the world.”

Councillor Foley was also upset that “a small number of people could hold up such a huge development” for the town.

“Everybody else thinks it’s the right site for Lidl,” he said. “It’s an idle field surrounded by housing estates. No, I don’t think they have valid concerns. We all live in a democracy, but how can a small number of people dictate to the rest of the population? It’s democracy gone astray. This would have created competition and the opportunity for jobs. It would have brought people to Bagenalstown from all over the county.”

But Tim Dunne and his fellow objectors claim that they feel vindicated with this second refusal.

“We are calling on the council to desist from its wrong-headed decision making. The sensible decision now would be for them to abide by the two decisions of An Bord Pleanála,” he added.

When contacted by The Nationalist, a spokeswoman for Lidl refused to comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement