Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Rejected For Bagenalstown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

What I don't understand is why Lidl don't apply to build on the site of Fair Oak Foods, further up the road.

I think Lidl would be great but I do not think the current suggested site is a good idea. My 3 children either walk or cycle along that main road every morning and night and I think that road is busy enough. It is used as a through route for lorries as it is. There is plenty of space at the other end of the Royal Oak Road for a Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Amanda7148 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why Lidl don't apply to build on the site of Fair Oak Foods, further up the road.

I think Lidl would be great but I do not think the current suggested site is a good idea. My 3 children either walk or cycle along that main road every morning and night and I think that road is busy enough. It is used as a through route for lorries as it is. There is plenty of space at the other end of the Royal Oak Road for a Lidl.
    Why should they though. Very close to 100% of the people of the town are more than happy for them to locate in that field. Why should we instruct a multi national supermarket to go to a field over a mile out of town. They are a business and I am sure they want to be in the heart of the town rather than a mile out so that people from the town can walk there and back. And who is this Tim Dunne. I have never heard of him in 25 years in the town. Damn do gooder that we could do without

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

The Nationalist's reporting on the Bagnelstown LIDL planning story is totally biased and one sided. I wonder who prints all those 'special offer' print catalogs that you find in every LIDL and ALDI store? If someone objected to it....it's their right to object and no councillors should ridicule anyone for doing so. The LIDL's arrive and the local shops owned by local people close down. That's what's happened to every other town in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 damissus

Why should they though. Very close to 100% of the people of the town are more than happy for them to locate in that field. Why should we instruct a multi national supermarket to go to a field over a mile out of town. They are a business and I am sure they want to be in the heart of the town rather than a mile out so that people from the town can walk there and back. And who is this Tim Dunne. I have never heard of him in 25 years in the town. Damn do gooder that we could do without

+1

Also agree that it is a busy road but they are in talks about a new road from the royal oak (where connolly's hardware is) out onto the borris road so that could help reduce some of the volume...

Bagenalstown could do with these shops, there has been a monopoly in town for long enough with 1 supermarket serving the town and surrounding areas. If you want value for money, you simply have to go further afield!

Something really needs to be done with fair oak foods, that is one huge eyesore of a site!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Seamus Clancy

Aldi is a nice supermarket. Most of the staff are very friendly.

Saw a guy today (shelf-stacker) quiz a customer on a walker why she was using a small trolly (easer to fill while on walker).Then he asked her why she was using the walker.

She politely asked him to go away and mind his own business. Shame how one nosy guy can ruin a shopping experience and undermine the hard work of the other staff members in the bargain.

It may be German owned but has the old Irish failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Eh ok.

Please don't bump really old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement