Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When isn't 24hr banking 24hr banking? After hours of course

Options
  • 11-03-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever notice that 24hr banking (from a well known provider) isn't 24hrs but more like 19hrs instead?

Yep even though the website is now "internet banking" the telephone dial-in still says 24hr bankin and the 1890 number still ends in 24 24 24.

Yet, have you ever tried to login between 1am to 6am? It's impossible.
    Backups & consolidation must be going on.

That certainly ain't my idea of 24hrs is it?

and WHY is this on after hours?? well, if any of you are up after hours it certainly affects you, right??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Yup.

Aib reboots its system from about 3.30 onwards i think. usually for about an hour. maybe more.

used to frustrate the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Never tried it at those times. I shall wait 5 minutes and give 'er a go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I emailed them a few weeks back about it and this was the response i got..

Thank you for your email.

Internet banking is available for a minimum of 20 hours daily, and is by necessity unavailable during off-peak times (3am -7am) to facilitate systems updating. During this period, a limited telephone banking service is available.

I apologise for the inconvenience,

So much for ppl who do shift work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

True.
    Fcuking annoying..

Edit:
    Kinda reminds me of the bit in the Simpsons' meteorite episode (IIRC):
    The bit where Bart has to get up at 4 in the morning to help Skinner with his astronomy, turns on the radio and the dj on the 24 hour radio station is talking about how there's actually no need for radio at that time of the morning cos everyone's wrapped up in bed and duly says "night, night everybody".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Small sacrifice to pay in the name of data backups/updates for your accounts information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

and the stupid phone banking service asks you to please hold for "24hr banking service" which isn't available 24hrs.

I mean jeez, would it kill them to lable it 20hr banking at least??

It's only a small price to pay if you're up or work "normal" hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

it's all a snazzy marketing catchphrase, 24 hour banking doesnt really sound as snazzy and effecient as 20 hour banking does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tech77 wrote: »
    True.
    Fcuking annoying..

Edit:
    Kinda reminds me of the bit in the Simpsons' meteorite episode (IIRC):
    The bit where Bart has to get up at 4 in the morning to help Skinner with his astronomy, turns on the radio and the dj on the 24 hour radio station is talking about how there's actually no need for radio at that time of the morning cos everyone's wrapped up in bed and duly says "night, night everybody".

is there just a bunch of classic simpsons episode on tv im not watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

miju wrote: »
    it's all a snazzy marketing catchphrase, 24 hour banking doesnt really sound as snazzy and effecient as 20 hour banking does it?

Isn't it false advertising then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Small sacrifice to pay in the name of data backups/updates for your accounts information.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Buttes, Le Mao

kraggy wrote: »
    Yup.

Aib reboots its system from about 3.30 onwards i think. usually for about an hour. maybe more.

used to frustrate the life out of me.
    They used to go down at half twelve. im not to bothered about the half three reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wandererz wrote: »
    Yet, have you ever tried to login between 1am to 6am? It's impossible.

I have just done the impossible.

*bows to the audience*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

To compare, we have a gym nearby called "24 Hour Fitness," and on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays they are not open 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

maybe I should have started another thread but another bank who boasts a banking 365 service is actually only .... 364!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

To compare, we have a gym nearby called "24 Hour Fitness," and on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays they are not open 24 hours.
    Yeah... I saw that too, wondered how they can facilitate this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It doesn't effect me but it's a long time for a backup. Suppose if they're updating stuff too it could take a while. What's covered by the limited telephone banking service?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, because the telephone agents are there 24/7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.
    Feel free to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

I tried logging in at 5am before, but had to call to get "service" on hold for 8 minutes till I got through to a distinctly american sounding "Pam".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

D.T. Jesus wrote: »

no, because they do offer a "limited phone banking service during these times" so therefore they can say 24 hour banking (though all you can do on the phone is check your balance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They renamed their service a good while back from "24 Hour Banking" to "Online Banking" changing the domain name and everything aswell.

I've complained / commented about it in the past and I got the same response as the guy who posted further up.

Advertisement