Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Galway

Options
  • 11-03-2008 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hI,
    i GOT A VISIT FROM THE TV LICENCE INSPECTOR. I POSTED A QUESTION BUT ON THE WRONG FORUM (MYTHOLOGY) AND WAS ADVISED TO GET A TV LICENCE. i FOUND OUT IT WILL COST ME 160 EURO!!! ANYONE ELSE GET A VISIT FROM THE INSPECTOR.....ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Firstly, you have CAPSLOCK on.
    Secondly, you have to get a licence. Unfortunately but it's the law.
    Which area of Galway are you in? In case there's a sweep going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and you can't try and be a smartarse and say the TV isn't yours it's the landlords because it doesn't matter a damn. whoever is living in the house at the time is in charge of the TV licence.

even if you put the tv in the attic or under the stairs if it's in the house you need a licence. it's a pain in the ass but if you get it for the year (you can't get it for x amount of months for some stupid reason) you can transfer the address if you move house

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Advice: Buy a licence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

<rant> If you don't get one they can prosecute and you can be fined 1200. I think it's a f&&king disgrace. It's scandalous to make people pay for a licence. Fair enough to pay to fund it if there's no advertising but advertising and a license is blatant thievery. Those licences are paying that talentless ugly smarmbag Pat Kenny 850 K a year.
    </rant>

traceyde wrote: »
    hI,
    i GOT A VISIT FROM THE TV LICENCE INSPECTOR. I POSTED A QUESTION BUT ON THE WRONG FORUM (MYTHOLOGY) AND WAS ADVISED TO GET A TV LICENCE. i FOUND OUT IT WILL COST ME 160 EURO!!! ANYONE ELSE GET A VISIT FROM THE INSPECTOR.....ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED

It'll cost you 160 euro every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

danniemcq wrote: »
    and you can't try and be a smartarse and say the TV isn't yours it's the landlords because it doesn't matter a damn. whoever is living in the house at the time is in charge of the TV licence
    Are you sure about this? I was pretty sure its up to whoever owns the TV. If I were move into a house and theres a TV there, id assume that the TV licence is paid. Fair enough, if i move into a house and bring in a TV, its probably safe to say theres no TV licence for that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I think you'll find that you still need a licence, even if you have a saterlite dish, antenna, or signed up for cable but no TV. The licence is not a TV licence as such but a TV Receiving licence which includes any equipment that can receive a TV Signal. The price of 160 Euro is a disgrace as I for one never watch RTE and, like what has already been mentioned, they still have the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dafunk wrote: »
    <rant> If you don't get one they can prosecute and you can be fined 1200. I think it's a f&&king disgrace. It's scandalous to make people pay for a licence. Fair enough to pay to fund it if there's no advertising but advertising and a license is blatant thievery. Those licences are paying that talentless ugly smarmbag Pat Kenny 850 K a year.
    </rant>

Dafunk for President!

WooHoo!

Free TVs for All!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Posting a thread about TV licence on a Mythology website...brilliant :D

by the way, paying €160 for Pat the plank Kenny and more ads than Sky One? no thanks, i'll take my chances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Get a tuner card for your pc/laptop and ditch the TV. As if they'd ever catch on...:)

Get a tuner card for your pc/laptop and ditch the TV. As if they'd ever catch on...:)

It's the way forward alright. Oh, alternatively just ditch the TV altogether and live off streaming and downloads. 4oD and the like seem to be getting more and more commonplace, unfortunately for me few of them are offering linux compatible software at this moment in time but there's plenty of video available online for windows users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

If I remove the Coax/TV part of my TV and make it so it cannot receive TV signals is it exempt?

It pissed me off to pay a license as I only use it for 360 and PS3 and as a computer screen for my laptop, and I don't have any NTL/cable subscription or have any channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sherifu wrote: »
    Advice: Buy a licence. :pac:

Or get rid of your TV, it only rots the brain, anyway.

Anyone know if I'm supposed to have one if I have a TV card for a computer, but no actual TV set in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

traceyde wrote: »
    I POSTED A QUESTION BUT ON THE WRONG FORUM (MYTHOLOGY)

How the hell did you manage to post it there?

JustMary wrote: »
    Or get rid of your TV, it only rots the brain, anyway.

Anyone know if I'm supposed to have one if I have a TV card for a computer, but no actual TV set in the house?

The law refers to devices capable of receiving television pictures. I think the fact that there is a tv card in your PC is immaterial. If you have a PC monitor you need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its the owner of the tv that must supply the acquire the license.

A computer monitor is not really capable of receiving tv images on its own, i highly doubt they charge you on that.

You are ment to get a tv license for pc with a tv tuner. The inspector might not know much about pcs but if he knows your paying for sky or NTL he might cop on!

An ex-colleague of mine was renting an apartment to 2 girls and they got a visit from the licence inspector. They rang my colleague straight after to tell him to pay it, because the TV was his. He is a real tight bastard and didn't want to pay it, but he didn't think he was liable for it in any case.

He investigated it and bought the licence himself in the end.

I dont know if he found out 100% if he had to, but I can be damn sure he wouldnt have paid it if he thought he didnt have to...

I'd tend to agree with you on that. The owner of the set should be liable. He allowed the girls use the TV, but that doesn't waive his responsibility in paying the licence.

A computer monitor is not really capable of receiving tv images on its own, i highly doubt they charge you on that.

You are ment to get a tv license for pc with a tv tuner. The inspector might not know much about pcs but if he knows your paying for sky or NTL he might cop on!

I don't think that NTL are allowed to give them this information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

Im pretty sure that is not the case! I took this from tv lisence website
    "Terms and conditions. 1. Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya it's definitly up to the occupiers of the house to buy a TV licence, not the landlord. If the inspector comes around the prosecution will be taken on whoever is living in the house at the time as one of my friends found out a year back.

Now we laugh behind his back just like the add they had out last year!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Get rid of your TV - that way you won't have to pay the licence or be looking over your shoulder, and you'll have more time for more worthwhile activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Just don't answer the door in future before checking to see who it is!!!

If they don't have a name they can bring you to court!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

gufcfan wrote: »
    How the hell did you manage to post it there?

I thought the "tv licence inspector" was an urban myth until i actually met one!!!! Scary!!:eek:

Good to see you found capslock. TV Licence is a pain in the ass. Have you decided what you're gonna do?

I think we should all protest. Let's have a good ol fashioned riot.

Down with TV licences!!

But seriously ... Tracyde ... are you going ot get one? Once you get one once they have you for life because you're on their database, so every year you get a letter from them saying 'your license is now expired. please send us another 160 euro sucker'.

Everything in life is a gamble. Minimum of 650, maximum of 1200 euro fine if you get caught without one ... hmm. Pretty crappy but if you've got away with no tv license for a couple of years you're still a winner.

It's like paying for parking tickets.If you get caught once a year and get a fine for 50 quid then so what? If you'd paid for all those times you'd parked you'd have spent more.

Good to see you found capslock. TV Licence is a pain in the ass. Have you decided what you're gonna do?

Ya i found capslock!!! looks like i will have to fork out 160.......don,t fancy paying a fine of 600euro+
    will hurt me bad to fork out 160........ i think will get rid of the damn tv after this.......

Gerry Ryan says thanks!

Gerry Ryan says thanks!

That really makes me feel better.!!!!.....not............... :mad: But tv is definately getting the door in the near future.....in all fairness if i dont pay now i will have to pay a hell of a lot more in fines......... So this will be my last contribution to Gerry,s and Paddy K,s salary.............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gerry Ryan's wife and kids say thanks then, better? Legal fees and seperation costs and what not.

Advertisement