Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

Sherifu wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan's wife and kids say thanks then, better? Legal fees and seperation costs and what not.

Ya much better....curse on the tv licence....what next......licence for sunshine and fresh air!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I believe gufcfan is correct, a computer monitor can still be considered a tv, I have no source though. Just something I vaguely remember being told. Even if it isnt currently true, you can be damn sure it will shortly.

Oh and here's a pic of me feeding a troll
    feedtrolljl1.jpg

Edit: Legal discussion forum - computer = tv licence?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55379745#post55379745

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just by comparison .. they got rid of the TV licence in New Zealand around 10 years ago: the compliance-costs of collecting 'em and debt-collecting fines and prosecuting non-payers outweighed the revenue collected, or so I'm told.

But before that, there were specific laws that let the TV licence people get purchase data from retailers ... and I'm sure they would have done cable-providers if cable had existed then (hmm, maybe Sky did, I can't quite remember). There were lots of cases of people moving into a new flat on Saturday, buying a TV on Sunday, and wondering how the inspector knew to pay a visit a week/month later.

(you think the retailer doesn't know who you are ... wrong, unless you paid in cash .. that Laser/Visa transaction had a great big thumbprint on it!)

I expect the same thing happens here ... let me guess, they could be working from lists of newly-registered tenancies, sold TVs, cable-providers, newly opened estates (there will be a city-council process that notifies this) ...I wonder what else ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think the 'equipment capable of receiving a television signal' is that which tunes the signal as opposed to a dumb aerial, dish or cable. Technically this means that an aerial, dish or cable alone doesn't require a licence until a TV tuner is attached. Obviously, best of luck trying to explain why you pay the fee for NTL cable but don't attach a TV.

Also, a broken TV or one with a missing TV tuner is still defined as capable of receiving a TV signal by design so a licence is still required. Only tuner-less TVs that are bought by businesses for security/training purposes are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

dafunk wrote: »

Everything in life is a gamble. Minimum of 650, maximum of 1200 euro fine if you get caught without one ... hmm. Pretty crappy but if you've got away with no tv license for a couple of years you're still a winner.

Shirley, you get a warning first? and they check up again to make sure you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Obviously, best of luck trying to explain why you pay the fee for NTL cable but don't attach a TV.

Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I lived with a fella and the inspector called round more than once. We only used the tv for watching dvds really.

When the inspector came he would go out and start ranting about why he would never have a tv or licence and the cost is an absolute disgrace etc. etc.

Funny. And you don't have to let them into your house if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

po0k wrote: »
    Broadband.
    Best of luck getting them to accept that if there is an analog signal coming in... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Return the digibox to NTL.
    They still jip you out of your 20-30euro a month for mandatory market research/advertainment, but it's a valid reason to ahve an NTL subscription.
    Just don't have any sort of tuner card.

PC monitor is not capable of receiving TV signals.
    I'm fairly certain that modern TFTs can have their demodulators removed easily enough.
    They're most likely all modular/socketed by design to ease localisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Pete4779 wrote: »
    If I remove the Coax/TV part of my TV and make it so it cannot receive TV signals is it exempt?

in a word... NO :eek::eek:

think of the likes of xtravision and other buisnesses that use a tv only for video presentations, even that have to buy a licence..

the whole law about tv licences should be changed for the better, they say it pays for improved programming, yet who in their right mind watches half of the stuff on rte 1, rte 2 and tg4 (tv3 is the only station that runs off its own advertising, the way it should be done)

i lived in a house out in salthill once that had a tv ariel on the roof(it belonged to next door) inspector came and we litterally dragged him around the house to prove to him we didnt have a tv and told him to look where the coax cable was going, the following week a letter in the post saying get a licence or else a fine will be imposed..:eek: and there wasnt a tv in the house (the rest of the inhabitants were crusties)

its just better to pay up and shut up than create a whole load of fuss and end up getting fined :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

traceyde wrote: »
    hI,
    i GOT A VISIT FROM THE TV LICENCE INSPECTOR. I POSTED A QUESTION BUT ON THE WRONG FORUM (MYTHOLOGY) AND WAS ADVISED TO GET A TV LICENCE. i FOUND OUT IT WILL COST ME 160 EURO!!! ANYONE ELSE GET A VISIT FROM THE INSPECTOR.....ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED

so you were caught without a licence and didnt get a fine ?
    you were just told to get a licence ?

dafunk wrote: »

Everything in life is a gamble. Minimum of 650, maximum of 1200 euro fine if you get caught without one ... hmm. Pretty crappy but if you've got away with no tv license for a couple of years you're still a winner.

It's like paying for parking tickets.If you get caught once a year and get a fine for 50 quid then so what? If you'd paid for all those times you'd parked you'd have spent more.

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

green123 wrote: »
    so you were caught without a licence and didnt get a fine ?
    you were just told to get a licence ?
    They won't fine you if you get one usually. Their job is done once you pony up.

Advertisement