Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sepp Blatter

• 11-03-2008 4:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Right I've had just about enough of this guy and his need to be the most talked about man in football. This story has finally tipped me over the edge -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/7288452.stm
    McLeish angry at Blatter comments

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish has criticised Fifa president Sepp Blatter's decision to investigate Martin Taylor's tackle on Eduardo.

Blatter wants to examine the Blues defender's leg-breaking challenge on the Arsenal striker and could try to extend his three-match suspension.

McLeish said: "Why is he (Blatter) talking about it?

"For me, there could be a hidden agenda here and he is having a go at the English game for being too robust."

Eduardo suffered a double compound fracture of his left leg and will miss the rest of the season as well as Croatia's Euro 2008 campaign.

The striker has since stated that he believed Taylor's tackle was an accident but Blatter was more critical in his response.

Blatter said last week: "It is shocking when you see how this player was attacked, it's not football."

McLeish has previously defended Taylor and does not think Blatter should get involved.

The former Scotland manager added: "Could there be a further suspension? Sepp Blatter could go to court with that one and he would fail 100%. Fifa have no jurisdiction over this.

"People keep making statements about this tackle and Blatter has opened it up again. It is disappointing but no-one can take Sepp to task. He is the top man."

"He is in a job just now where if he were to look at every tackle every week in every European game, he would be out of a job because he would have to ban everyone.

"We wouldn't have any football and Sepp would have to do something else. It is disappointing a man of that standing is saying things like he is. He is in the game because of football and teams and the way it is. For him to say that is poor for a man of his stature.

"When I heard his comments I was flabbergasted. Sepp has probably seen the extent of Eduardo's injury and some of the pictures in the papers and he has been horrified because of that.

"The people who know the game know it wasn't a malicious tackle, simple as that."

So Eduardo says it was an accident, Taylor says it was an accident and 99% of fans realise it was an accident yet Blatter wants to sh*t stir and make an example of Taylor and the situation. The FA are currently dealing with it so why does Blatter feel the need to stick his nose in?

The final quote there from McLeish sums it up best for me. Blatter hasn't a breeze what he's talking on not just this topic but many others. The sooner he leaves the role at FIFA the better.

As a German newspaper once put it: Sepp Blatter has 50 new ideas every day, 51 of them are bad.

The token petition to remove him can be found here -

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/resignation-of-fifa-president-sepp-blatter.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Another attention seeking stunt. I hope he ****s off somewhere. He is doing no one any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Blatter's a total clown. Comes out with sensationalist rubbish every couple of months. I'd really like to see Platini in the top job instead. He strikes me as a guy who genuinely wants to see the game do well and who wants to protect it from selfish agendas. Plus he's not stark raving bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yep, Blatter and William Gaillard really piss me off. Media whores who don't seem to have a clue what they're talking about!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's nuts, however i'm quite sympathetic to Platini's views on football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

is it just me, or is Sepp Blatter anti the English Premier League?

Maybe the EPL don't contribute to his alternative income:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Christ, there should be a McLeish media ban along with the Taylor ban extension. The man is talking rubbish day after day, now he's decided to blast Blatter's decision to investigate Taylor's ban and prolong it.

Absolutely unbelieveable that some of you think Blatter shouldnt step in, when the Fa have done nothing, he knew he was not getting the ball and clearly went for the player.

That Taylor is the typical carthorse English centre half with no skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class - but likes to get 'stuck in' and will 'run through brick walls' for his team - the foundations of English football and the reason why thye have won f**k all in that period.

He even got a letter of sympathy off that idiot Gordon Taylor the other week ffs...

Fair play to Blatter, Big awkward Cave men like Taylor have no place in the game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Blatter is perfectly entitled to step in if he feels the English FA have not applied the rules correctly. FIFA have instructed associations to clamp down on studs in tackles, so its hardly a shock that Blatter may have somthing to say about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... is a penis.

If that gets me banned, then so be it. It had to said.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Christ, there should be a McLeish media ban along with the Taylor ban extension. The man is talking rubbish day after day, now he's decided to blast Blatter's decision to investigate Taylor's ban and prolong it.

Absolutely unbelieveable that some of you think Blatter shouldnt step in, when the Fa have done nothing, he knew he was not getting the ball and clearly went for the player.

That Taylor is the typical carthorse English centre half with no skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class - but likes to get 'stuck in' and will 'run through brick walls' for his team - the foundations of English football and the reason why thye have won f**k all in that period.

He even got a letter of sympathy off that idiot Gordon Taylor the other week ffs...

Fair play to Blatter, Big awkward Cave men like Taylor have no place in the game...

You might want to read this http://archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/2002/1/26/637394.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Look, leaving aside your views on the Taylor tackle on Eduardo (which are quite absurd), Blatter is completely wrong to have a go at Taylor and just comes across as a bully.

Blatter is a buffoon.
    It's comendable to want to lessen the risk of injury to players but this is not the way a professional man goes about their business - you can bet he wouldn't have even approached Birmingham City Football Club to air his grievances. He comes out with a whole load of tripe every few weeks at some do or another just babbling on about the latest incidents, needs to have a say on everything no matter how little he knows or cares about it. And it all comes across as if we should treat his words as Gospel!

He pretends he cares so much, but is a complete self serving fraud.

Here is another quote from Blatter given the same day when asked about gay footballers...as I said a buffoon:
    “There are gay footballers, but they don’t declare it because they think it will not be accepted in these macho organisations. But football is open for everybody, which is why they made a gay competition in South America. And look at women’s football: homosexuality is more popular there.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Blatter should be hung drawn and quartered. it's amazing to think his former business partners are all facing prison and yet because of the power he commands at FIFA he's effectively untouchable.
    PHB wrote: »
    He's nuts, however i'm quite sympathetic to Platini's views on football.

Platini is like Blatter-lite. just another ex player who can't accept he's no longer in the spotlight who's turned into an almighty attention seeker.... he mightn't be as bad at the moment, but igve him power for a few more years and he'll be every bit the clown Sepp is.

Lets face it, Sepp Blatter and the whole FIFA organisation has been shown to be so full of greed and corruption, I doubt if anyone respects anything they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness to Blatter, he saw Womens Beach Volleyball and tried to change womens football for the better!

He is a clown and should not be in the job he's in.

I mean, would you let him drive the train to Cork?!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Platini is like Blatter-lite. just another ex player who can't accept he's no longer in the spotlight who's turned into an almighty attention seeker.... he mightn't be as bad at the moment, but igve him power for a few more years and he'll be every bit the clown Sepp is.
    I agree - I wouldn't go thinking that Platini's great just cos he's not as bad as Blatter. I don't recall many people being in favour of Platini's plans for the Champions League, for example, which I think were pretty far off the mark.

Blatter should be hung drawn and quartered. it's amazing to think his former business partners are all facing prison and yet because of the power he commands at FIFA he's effectively untouchable.

That does not mean he is wrong.

FIFA ordered a clampdown on those lunges and the English FA seem to have ignored it here. So in step FIFA.

If the Spanish FA ignored racist chanting and Blatter took a stand reminding them they had obligations in that regard, would the reaction be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Of course it was an accident, Taylor did not go in with the intention of really harming Eduardo, but imo it was a reckless tackle and sorry I don't go with the people who are saying Eduardo was too quick or that he miss-timed the tackle, as for Blatter, don't normally agree with him but feel Taylor should have got more than three games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Also in fairness to Blatter, he was at his most insane a few years ago with WC every 2 years notion, since then he has quitened down a tad and did come out against the 39th game proposal(because it undermined FIFAs power as opposed to fans interest i know), i think he has copped on that despite his power he isnt ever going to be taken as seriously as perhaps he would have been if he wasnt so crazy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I see some of his old buddies in ISM are in a spot of bother
    Fifa's ex-media partners on trial

Prosecutors have accused Fifa's former marketing arm ISL/ISMM of channelling 18m Swiss francs ($17.5m; £8.7m) in bribes through Liechtenstein.

A fraud trial in Switzerland is taking place of six former executives from the now-defunct firm, on charges including embezzlement and forging documents.

Prosecutors allege the six paid-off people involved in negotiating the rights deals to major sporting events.

The defendants have entered not-guilty pleas against all the charges.

Charges the six face include embezzlement, fraud, fraudulent bankruptcy, damaging creditors and falsification of documents.

They could face up to four-and-a-half years in prison if convicted. No current or former FIFA officials are among the accused.

ISMM, the parent company of ISL, owned the television and marketing rights to the 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

ISL ran Fifa's marketing and television rights for 20 years. It collapsed in May 2001 with estimated debts of $330m.

Investigators in Switzerland have been looking at claims ISL bosses paid bribes to sports officials to win valuable TV contracts.

As well as Fifa, ISL dealt with many sports bodies including tennis's ATP Tour.

The criminal investigation leading to the trial began when Fifa made a fraud complaint against two individuals following ISL's collapse.

The world football body later withdrew its complaint, saying it wanted to pursue civil proceedings, but prosecutors continued with the investigation.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said his organisation will not be affected by the latest proceedings.

"The court has said very clearly that no officials or staff members of Fifa are among the accused," he said.

"We look forward to this trial and to the ruling."

The trial is set to last for around seven days over March and April, with verdicts pencilled in for the summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7289346.stm

I'd love to see some of Sepp's shady deals with this lot come out in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

That does not mean he is wrong.
    no, but there certainly are a lot of unanswered questions. Remember the whole Carribean thing? weren't the senior figures at the centre of the allegations personal freinds? besides any time he's made a decent decision it's been because of enormous external pressure, and this is a guy who cares about power more than anything it seems.

no, but there certainly are a lot of unanswered questions. Remember the whole Carribean thing? weren't the senior figures at the centre of the allegations personal freinds? besides any time he's made a decent decision it's been because of enormous external pressure, and this is a guy who cares about power more than anything it seems.

I dont recall anyone disagreeing with your assesment of Blatter. But it doesnt mean he is wrong. The EFA seem to have disregarded a clear directive on the studded tackles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement