Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol lawnmower

Options
  • 11-03-2008 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Have been struggling with a Flymol last year so decided to get a decent petrol mower
    The size is for a medium size garden and I want to get something that would last at least 10 years. Should I go for a Honda engine or get a B&S one. Honda's are quite expensive. I would be prepared to spend a max 400 Eu. It is out first petrol mower so no experience with them. Self propelled-any good?
    Any store doing deals?
    Any response is depreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

what size is your garden?
    1/2 acre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

http://www.lidl.ie

they have one thursday for €279

Makes mowing the lawn easy in most conditions!
    Low vibration
    Rear wheel drive with 3,5 km/h
    Triple cutting system for excellent cutting and collecting of dry, wet, and high lawn
    Optimized design of blade, wind tunnel and ejection hole for excellent grass collection
    Lightweight: 30kg
    55L grass collector box with fill level indicator
    Includes easy to change replacement blades
    Cutting width: 46cm Easy height adjustment
    Easy to remove grass collector box
    Includes mulch kit, spark plug tool and replacement spark plug
    Comfortable: rear wheel drive
    Powerful: 4.0hp B&S engine
    Durable: corrosion proof chassis
    Price per item

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

regedit wrote: »
    I want to get something that would last at least 10 years
    I used to think like that but I now buy inexpensive ones and just get another if they break down. The costs of repairing or replacing parts on a lawnmower can be prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I used to think like that but I now buy inexpensive ones and just get another if they break down. The costs of repairing or replacing parts on a lawnmower can be prohibitive.

I have someone who will service the mower for free.
    The same man suggested that I get the Lidl one tomorrow with the B&S engine but for some reason, I have my doubts when getting Lidl/Aldi stuff. Althought this one comes with a 3 year warranty, I am hesitant. Should I go for a Honda powered machine and splash out an extra 150 Euro?!
    The lawn is about 200-250 square meters (2690 sq foot is what an online converter is telling me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

B&S will be fine for your lawn. They're a good engine also. It's possible the Honda is more refined alright - quieter but hardly worth the extra €€€ for your size lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

regedit wrote: »
    I have someone who will service the mower for free.
    The same man suggested that I get the Lidl one tomorrow with the B&S engine but for some reason, I have my doubts when getting Lidl/Aldi stuff. Althought this one comes with a 3 year warranty, I am hesitant. Should I go for a Honda powered machine and splash out an extra 150 Euro?!
    The lawn is about 200-250 square meters (2690 sq foot is what an online converter is telling me)
    My Father got that Lidl model last year and it is a great mower. I have used it as well and would highly recommend it.

Thanks for that. I guess will have to ask someone to Q for me to get the Lidl one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

would that Lidl one do a 3/4 acre site, just for this year, hoping to eventually get a ride on next year.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

secman wrote: »
    would that Lidl one do a 3/4 acre site, just for this year, hoping to eventually get a ride on next year.

Thanks
    My father's garden is about half an acre so I think you should be okay. The mower is self driven with a good mulcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

We've had a stiga petrol mower for the last 15 years, It doesn't look the best but never lets us down and we've it hasn't been serviced in 8 years or more. I would however recommend an aluminium deck as opposed to steel as this is the area most at risk of corrosion.

• Advertisement

We've had a stiga petrol mower for the last 15 years, It doesn't look the best but never lets us down and we've it hasn't been serviced in 8 years or more. I would however recommend an aluminium deck as opposed to steel as this is the area most at risk of corrosion.

Does the Lidl one have an Al deck or is it plastic?
    Someone mentioned that last year's model was plastic deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I got a reconditioned honda one from this crowd on ebay. Grade C, but it was like new....great little thing

http://cgi.ebay.ie/RECON-HONDA-16-HRG415SD-SELF-DRIVEN-IZY-LAWNMOWER-C_W0QQitemZ170200238415QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭blackbox

Concentrate on the mower, not the motor. Unless you go for a heavy aluminium deck, the motor will almost certainly outlive the rest of the mower. Plastic is still better than pressed steel, which rusts quickly. I have two small B&S motors at home - couldn't bear to discard them along with the worn-out mowers.

One thing I find useful in a mower is to have a single pont height adjuster - it is a pain to have to adjust each wheel individually.

Oh - and secman, 3/4 acre is a lot to cut with an ordinary walk behind mower - I did it for a year before buying a small (30 inch) ride-on. Go for the ride-on if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

bLACKBOX.

My sentiments exactly, I do think I need a ride on, what make and model did you go for and price guide if possible.

Thanks Secman

Advertisement