Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I had a dream....

• 11-03-2008 7:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

.....well more so a nightmare.

The other night the most horrible thing happened while I was in a state of sleep - Xavi signed for United. Couldn't believe it. I could see Fergie's smug grin as he was unveiled wearing red. Woke up the next morning and, heart racing, quickly checked BBC just to be on the safe side.

It has happened in real life though i.e. Campbell going to Arsenal, Cantona/Smith to United, Figo to Madrid etc.

What would be/has been your worst case scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,429 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    .....well more so a nightmare.

The other night the most horrible thing happened while I was in a state of sleep - Xavi signed for United. Couldn't believe it. I could see Fergie's smug grin as he was unveiled wearing red. Woke up the next morning and, heart racing, quickly checked BBC just to be on the safe side.

It has happened in real life though i.e. Campbell going to Arsenal, Cantona/Smith to United, Figo to Madrid etc.

What would be/has been your worst case scenario?

Ronaldo (brazillian one) signing for any english side when he was at his best would have killed me. Now i'd be horribly jealous if either Messi or Eto'o signed for a side that wasn't Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newcastle fan I was pretty gutted that Woodgate was snagged by our North East rivals Boro.

Messi to United or Ronny to Chelsea would really irk me. The latter, because I think he would be another Sheva, but that means fook all to Chelsea with their bottomless pit of money. Teams should really suffer (like Newcastle are now :() when they consistently throw around big money on turd.

Wouldn't hold a grudge against Arsenal signing any big boy as I feel they've earnt it at this stage, but I honestly think signing big players generally works against the Arsenal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fergie wouldn't sign Xavi. He already has Carrick.

I would be fairly gutted if Berbatov or Benzema went to utd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That's like saying Newcastle wouldn't sign Eto'o because they have Michael Owen.

They won't sign him, but it isn't really because of the existing players they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Tusky wrote: »

I think Xavi is a bit better than Carrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Crowe going to Shels just as he was passing his peak, would have been devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ade Akinbiyi signing for Shels :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tusky wrote: »
    hamnegg wrote: »
    Yeah, just a smidge.

ffs.
    bohsman wrote: »
    Crowe going to Shels just as he was passing his peak, would have been devastating.
    :confused::confused: I is confused tbh.

He won the league at Shels, scoring the winning goal on the last day of the season, against the Bozos, to clinch the title. Did he not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

When Tevez signed for United, I thought that's it for another year. Liverpool were crying out for him, but I should have known Benitez wouldn't have made a move for him.

Elsewhere, Ballack and Shevchenko going to Chelsea within a few weeks of each other.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

That Carrick comment was me being sarcastic. Lowest form of wit and all that.

• Advertisement

Looking a bit further back, Andy Cole going to United from us was a bitter pill to swallow, especially seeing as we only got Daniel Day Lewis and a few quid in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Heary to Bohs. That'd make me cry. Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

When Gerrard was on the verge of signing for Chelsea. Horrific times!

monkey9 wrote: »
    When Gerrard was on the verge of signing for Chelsea. Horrific times!
    Never happened.

According to Liverpool fans on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

steve gehh ad gehh ad
    he kisses the liverpool crest
    then hands in a transfer request
    steve gehh ad gehh ad

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

As a spurs supporter Carrick to United was pretty devastating and the already mentioned Campbell to the Arse was stomach churning, Sheringham to united sucked as well and would top myself if Berbatov went to united and for Robbie Keane to be anywhere except for Spurs would be bollox.

Trilla wrote: »
    steve gehh ad gehh ad
    he kisses the liverpool crest
    then hands in a transfer request
    steve gehh ad gehh ad
    Transfer Request?

Nah, couldn't have happened.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=275644 :D

Some of the vitriol in that thread is hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

torres leaving pool would tear my heart out.
    shearer going to utd would have pissed me off back in the day too. looking back tho he would have been immense and become probably a true legend of the game. he still is i know, but he could have done so much more imo. quality player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

hamnegg wrote: »

no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Figo to Madrid broke my heart. =P

My dad always talks about how unfairly Madrid got their hands on Di Stefano, and Puskas, along with a chap named Kubala, they all played together for barca in some friendlies before Madrid snatched Puskas and Di Stefano.. I was told it would have been the best front 3 ever to play the game, and they would have single handedly won la liga after la liga and european cup after european cup. (you only have to look at their domination while those players played at Madrid to see how effective they were)

http://www.elpais.com/elpaismedia/diario/media/200309/22/deportes/20030922elpepidep_7_I_LBW.jpg
    Alfredo Di Stéfano, Ladislao Kubala , Ferenc Puskás all playing for Barca in a friendly in 1953.

Messi going anywhere would make me cry, along with Iniesta, they are Barca through and through and it would kill me to see them play for any other European side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ditpoker wrote: »
    no.

What do you mean "no"? More sarcasm I hope.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cantona/Smith to United

Both truly horrific moments. Of all the clubs they could have signed for it had to be that lot. Nothing else comes close unless you count Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen doing the same thing in the 70s (us Leeds fans have long memories). On the plus side, I suppose they did sell Gordon Strachan to us. :D

My brother still has nightmares about the day I rang him to tell him Robbie Fowler had signed for Leeds. I'd say he wasn't the only Liverpool fan to be traumatised by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Totti to Inter would be the one that would piss me off the most with Terry to United a close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

DesF wrote: »
    Transfer Request?

It seems most liverpool fans are as disloyal as Gerrard was. I usually don't deliberately read threads when lfc fans congregate but that was enjoyable.

A nightmare would be Keegan buying back Titus Bramble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Iniesta is a far better player than Xavi ever was.

Morf wrote: »
    A nightmare would be Keegan buying back Titus Bramble

That's the kind of thing that makes you wake up in a cold sweat during the night. That, and contract extension for Stephen Carr.

At least we haven't signed any more rubbish defenders since Bramble left. Oh wait..........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

When Yorke went to Man Utd from Villa it was a nightmare, i couldnt believe he was always one of the untouchables who i tohught wouldnt leave Villa, at first in the 97/98 season it was just a whisper, then it came clear he was agitating for a move, then he went to Utd and everyone hated him, John Gregory had his famous shotgun comment and Yorke got the boos whenever he returns, what game was it he acted distant with his body language and it was made clear he wanted nothing to do with Villa(end of 97/98)?

I think at the time it was galling coz he had been at Villa for years, this kid form Trinidad(or was it Tobago?), he was in the squad for years and he always showed flashes of brilliance (didnt get into 94 league cup squad but scored in the 96 final!), but he took a while, he got his chance under Little and was the star of the 95/96 season.

In hindsight, i suppose he did win the treble after he left, but jeez he didnt have to be such a nasty git about trying to get out of Villa, still he had his tabloid success as well after and i guess Villa just wasnt as big enough to keep him, hopefully today our young crop of Young, Agbonlahor, Davies(fingers crossed) and the like stay put will see there is enough ambition in the club to match their developing talents.

(I really do ramble on about Villa i apoligise, anything but doing this essay is preferable at this ungodly hour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

That's the kind of thing that makes you wake up in a cold sweat during the night. That, and contract extension for Stephen Carr.

At least we haven't signed any more rubbish defenders since Bramble left. Oh wait..........:eek:

I'm just waiting for the next washed up has been to come to the end of their current contract. Maybe we could bring Fowler back to the prem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PhiIIy Huges to Shels... That hurt me badly, he was gonna be a Dundalk legend. :( Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real hurt the most, same with Keane to Celtic. I wouldn't be happy if Almeria sold `el Capa` either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

RODDY COLLINS is set for a shock return to football management with Longford Town after a Dublin-based consortium last night shook hands on a deal to take over the Midlands club.

Oh wait it wasnt a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

the day RVN left Utd for Real was a killer for me.

also when Ronaldo signed for Real Madrid.there had been talks for months that he was going to sign with Utd as part of Utd's impending switch to Nike kits.Nike were going to pay half his wages while he was there.and then it all fell through and he went to Real.ah well............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Transfer Request?

Just had a look through that thread, made me realise, where the bejesus is Jivin Turkey gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

kev_s88 wrote: »
    the day RVN left Utd for Real was a killer for me.

also when Ronaldo signed for Real Madrid.there had been talks for months that he was going to sign with Utd as part of Utd's impending switch to Nike kits.Nike were going to pay half his wages while he was there.and then it all fell through and he went to Real.ah well............

I had a permanent hard on that summer, but then he signed for Madrid.

Im not exagerating when I say was inconsolable for a couple of weeks afterwards...

Also when we were so close to signing Ronaldinho. A lot of my mates were like 'oh sure he only scored one poxy goal against England, cant be that good...' but due to Football Manager (Championship Manager back then), I had been following him for years - since his Gremio days and Ill never forgive Peter Kenyon for f*cking up that deal. But oh well, it was because of that we got Cristiano Ronaldo - so happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Archimedes wrote: »
    I had a permanent hard on that summer, but then he signed for Madrid.

Im not exagerating when I say was inconsolable for a couple of weeks afterwards...

Also when we were so close to signing Ronaldinho. A lot of my mates were like 'oh sure he only scored one poxy goal against England, cant be that good...' but due to Football Manager (Championship Manager back then), I had been following him for years - since his Gremio days and Ill never forgive Peter Kenyon for f*cking up that deal. But oh well, it was because of that we got Cristiano Ronaldo - so happy days!

aww man Football Manager kicked ass.it was that that got me on the trail of Tevez and Mascherano back when Tevez was with Boca Juniors and Masch was with River Plate.how does a computer game manage to get it right so often??

aww i remember the Ronaldinho buzz.killer when i found out we didnt get him
    same as i felt when we didnt get Arjen Robben cause we were being a bunch of stingey pricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi, i **** you not, dream last night that your boyfriend signed for us in the summer with Alonso going the other way :)

• Advertisement

Ha ha that'd be my second worst nightmare. Have no fear though, he's more faithful to me than that.

imagine he actually signed for City in the summer, Christ we'd have to peel you off the comp screen! ;)

I'd move to Manchester if he did. I plan on going back to Ireland next Feb for three weeks and during that time I hope to hop across to Barca and meet the man himself.

and how do you plan on meeting him you mind me asking?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm gonna assassinate him before you get a chance. HAH!

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and how do you plan on meeting him you mind me asking?!

Good ol fashioned stalking should do the trick!

Nah sure they have open training sessions etc where the players hang about after. Either that I'll blag a media pass no bother. My mate did it before for a college assignment. Got to sit in on interviews with Rijkaard and the players.

Where there's a will etc.
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm gonna assassinate him before you get a chance. HAH!

Yeah you go back to whorin yourself in AH.

christ, someone should warn him ;)

christ, someone should warn him ;)

So he can free up some time for me? Sounds good!

Was gonna buy his signed match worn boots a few months ago but €400 was a bit steep. I'll settle for gettin my jerseys signed

jesus you really are obsessed

jesus you really are obsessed

Ah not really. I collect jerseys and that of my favourite players. I've 3 Zidane shirts, 2 Xavi, a Quaresma, Dunne etc. Sure it's a hobby that keeps me off the streets and away from drugs!

thats pretty cool. best i have is a program signed by Phil Neal, was sitting beside me at the Benfica match the year they knocked us out of the CL, right grumpy ****.

Autographs?

I usually just have a pint with my favourite players after the game.

eL ftw.

thats pretty cool. best i have is a program signed by Phil Neal, was sitting beside me at the Benfica match the year they knocked us out of the CL, right grumpy ****.

I've a couple of pretty cool things. Ireland ball signed by the USA 94 squad, Leeds ball signed by the 99 Champions League squad, MArdid jersey signed by Raul, signed City and United jerseys (won the United one btw).
    Autographs?

eL ftw.

I have a programme signed by Dean Fitzgerald......

Autographs?

eL ftw.

yea but your favourite players are shiiiiite des! ;)

yea but your favourite players are shiiiiite des! ;)
    So are yours. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement