Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ports water supply?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you would use the tap water for drinking cooking etc.? A friend of mine only uses bottled water for cookking etc. Just wondering what you all do?

we moved down in Aug and both my LOs have suffered quite nasty tummy upsets at least one a month since. They would drink 1-2 pints of tap water daily just dawned on me last night (after yet another sleepless night) it could be the water? Mods please note I'm not asking for medical opinions merely just if other use the water supply!

So ....to drink or not to drink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

undecided wrote: »
    Just wondering how many of you would use the tap water for drinking cooking etc.? A friend of mine only uses bottled water for cookking etc. Just wondering what you all do?

we moved down in Aug and both my LOs have suffered quite nasty tummy upsets at least one a month since. They would drink 1-2 pints of tap water daily just dawned on me last night (after yet another sleepless night) it could be the water? Mods please note I'm not asking for medical opinions merely just if other use the water supply!

So ....to drink or not to drink?

i don't drink the tap water in port. tastes foul and can be cloudy sometimes. brita filter's yer only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Me either. I got a water filter system in which clears it completely and its like pure spring water. i never use the tap water only for showers or cleaning and even then i find my skin has got very very dry. im thinking about getting a complete house water system! the water here is terrible!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ports water comes from a large spring in Lough, near Emo.
    Its then pumped up to the reservoir and treatment system on Corrig Hill.

There is a large buffer zone around this water source to protect against ground water pollution.

Personally i have absolutely no problem drinking from our water supply. i have done it all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I drink it, cook in it, wash with it etc, etc....

I find it very hard alright and the limescale would drive you mental but I'm still alive....:D

My Mum and Dad complain though ~ they moved down about 9 months ago into a new house and got a house system put in. In fairness you can actually taste the difference in the water but not enough that I go around their house and fill up jugs or anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I have found it very hard and lots of limescale drives me mad :mad: If it comes into contact with my face I end up looking like an alien!

Think I'll try the bottled water for a while see how we go! Thanks everyone !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Well the water definitley is not the best but I have be using one of those filters and its grand from that.
    Not a believer in buying water :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I always drink the water. It never caused me any problems. Some people have weaker immune systems so maybe it's not of a very high standard.

I have noticed that their is planning permission for work on the reservoir pinned to trees up in Corrig hill. Don't know what exactly they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 metroman_12000

In Portarlington you need a water softener to remove the limescale and a carbon filter for drinking water. Give me a ring on (087) 2580318 and I will give you a quote for both which won't break the bank, Thanks

my uncles are in the business. they do drinking taps or full water systems. i have a tap in my house and the difference in the water is unreal compared to the normal tap. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

have you any prices on that ruby or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 metroman_12000

Ports best, you should expect to pay about 950.00 euro for a good water softener, including Vat installation and a 5 year guarantee. We are installing a couple this week in Na Cluainte on the tullamore Road :D
    You can buy a drinking water filter with its own tap for an extra 250 euro provided you dont have a granite worktop> We are relucant to drill granite for the extra tap in case it shatters.

hey lads i went to get some water from the tap last night, it has turned a kinda pale brown colour, now im worried has this happened to anyone else recently, my water always seemed to be ok but jaysus last night disturbed me a bit

I've seen that once up here in lough gate. It ran clear after 30 seconds and i drank it with no ill effect.

My policy, if it's brown don't drink it. Not really to concerned otherwise. Couldn't be bothered with water purifiers. Some people in other parts of the world drink water of a lot worse standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Silent Rain

There was a fire last night in a shed at the back of one of the houses on bracklone st. Whenever the fire brigade hook up their hoses to the mains it makes all the water go that murky colour. I dont really know why or if this happens everywhere, but it always happens in that area anyway. Think its just unsettling sediment somewhere along the lines, if that makes you feel any better :)

i was never really into those purifiers meself but when i seen that last night i taught there must be something serious wrong, im in brigids square just up from lough gate

kinda does silent im from brigids square and it happened around that time alright, Thank you

I always use those Britta jugs for any water I take from the tap. Not because I'm afraid of the water, but they seem to soften it so it tastes better and reduces the amount of limescale build up in your kettle (or at the bottom of your cup of tea).
    Excuse me if I sound like an add for Calgon or something.

i might invest in one of them alright, is calgon for washing machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I moved to Port from Portlaoise about 8 months ago. I find the water is not much worse than Portlaoise. I think does have more lime though. Our fridge has a water/ice dispenser which has an external filter we change every 6 months. Probably helps to have some kind of filtration.

Yes, they to keep your washing machines limefree and shiny... they might look a bit like dishwasher tablets and might even be sitting next to them in the supermarkets, but apparently they're not supposed to be used as dishwashing tablets.... emmm not that I ever accidently bought a packet thinking that that were dishwashing tablets and thats the only reason I know what they are.....

• Advertisement

we never suffered with lime or anything and we never had any trouble, it was just last night it happened but then as silent rain said it could be from the fire brigade at the fire on bracklone street

you dont seem like the type of person that would do that silent:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I can testify that the Fire Brigade Boys were out and about last night ~ backing the fire engine in as I got home from college around half 10......

.....not that I was looking at them or anything :o

they were at it so for about 2 hrs i think, any word on that girl from lough gate

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

PB I dont know how u dont have problems with lime! I have to use softner in washing machine, descale my kettle at least once a month and my shower scalds the arse of me about once a week coz the head is clogged with lime!!:mad:

Either way we have been using bottled water since my first done this thread and we have had no tummy upsets since so must have been conected before hand they were taking turns every week!!:)

yeah im gone to use the bottled water from now on undecided but honestly i never had any problems with lime in the water, maybe i just very or that the place i live in is over 50 years old, maybe that could have something to do with it

I can testify that the Fire Brigade Boys were out and about last night ~ backing the fire engine in as I got home from college around half 10......

.....not that I was looking at them or anything :o

Wheres the fire station in port???

On your right hand side as you go out the portlaoise rd from Supervalue.... its about a stones throw from that corner where you either turn left to go up foxcroft or right to go out to portlaoise.... Right beside where CV lives :)

and its gone to be moved to the link road isnt it, there flyin at that building there arent they,

• Advertisement

undecided wrote: »
    Either way we have been using bottled water since my first done this thread and we have had no tummy upsets since so must have been conected before hand they were taking turns every week!!:)

:eek: Glad ya got it sorted. But in fairness i don't think we should have to go out and buy water. This water is meant to be a drinkable. Imagine in a few years we could be paying for this filth.

PS: I'll still be drinking it. If i start getting sick i'll pay for it

Advertisement