Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick has highest level of killings and gun crime

Options
  • 11-03-2008 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojcwojqlkf/
    Article wrote:
    Limerick reportedly has a higher level of killings and gun crime per head of population than any other area in Ireland.

Reports this morning say an analysis of serious crime statistics in the various garda divisions shows that Dublin has the highest level of overall crime.

However, there were five times more shootings in Limerick compared to Dublin over the last two years when measured against population numbers.

Limerick also had the highest incidence of homicides per head of population, with Tipperary second and Dublin third.

The Donegal division, meanwhile, had the highest number of sexual offences and also ranked second in the "assault causing harm" category.

It makes for sad reading. This city now has the highest level of murders per head of population than any other city in Ireland. If this is isn't a wake up call as to how bad things have gotten here I don't know what is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Yipee another fine award for our fair city.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

lies, lies, lies! it's such a peaceful place here!

[conspiracy]it's only coming from the dublin media! i'm telling ya![/conspiracy]

is anyone out there thinking that something will seriously change here??

regeneration project? my a*se! moving the scum just to other places in town but the scum is still alive and active...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There's one thing we've been able to point at in the past, and thats the fact that the city is not that violent when you compare it to the population size of Dublin. I think we've lost our last defence against the criticism we recieve.

Regeneration projects are only going to improve the look of the areas they are operating in. They are in no way going to change the gutter level scumbags that live in those areas. They're too concerned with all this macho bull**** of stabbing or shooting people that don't agree with them or cross their paths. If you ask me, the only way we're ever going to improve this city is if the scumbags ruining it are wiped out (and I don't mean prison ;) )

That of course is not going to happen, so I guess we'll just have to sit back as usual and watch this place get worse and worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

. . . .

Reports this morning say an analysis of serious crime statistics in the various garda divisions shows that Dublin has the highest level of overall crime.

Stupid, biased article. They bash Limerick even though Dublin's crime is higher all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yes but there is a big difference between crime and murder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Limerick also had the highest incidence of homicides per head of population, with Tipperary second and Dublin third.

I would be interested to know what those population figures are. Limerick city officially has population ~ 55,000. The actual figure is probably closer to twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Aesop's right, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....the figures for Dublin are the "Greater Metropolitan Area", while the figures for Limerick are relative to the City boundary only, which goes from the Parkway to The Gaelic Grounds, and from The Crescent to Corbally bridge.

And I'm NOT being defensive or ostrich-like; I just wish they were fair in their comparisons; if they compared a "Greater Limerick Area" with "Greater Dublin", then we might have a fair reflection of the comparison.

I mean, there was a murder in Callan, Co. Kilkenny at the weekend - a tiny village outside Kilkenny; does that mean that "per head of population", Callan has a bigger "per capita" murder rate than Limerick ?

Callan : 1 / 1,224 = 0.08169 %
    Limerick : 5 / 91,000 = 0.00549 %

I'm not saying the above is in any way scientific, but it CAN be PROVEN by skewed use of FACTUAL STATISTICS.....

Slightly less biased version of the story available at http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/12383311?view=Eircomnet, although the headline is again used to deflect from Dublin's status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Aesop's right, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....the figures for Dublin are the "Greater Metropolitan Area", while the figures for Limerick are relative to the City boundary only, which goes from the Parkway to The Gaelic Grounds, and from The Crescent to Corbally bridge.

And I'm NOT being defensive or ostrich-like; I just wish they were fair in their comparisons; if they compared a "Greater Limerick Area" with "Greater Dublin", then we might have a fair reflection of the comparison.

I mean, there was a murder in Callan, Co. Kilkenny at the weekend - a tiny village outside Kilkenny; does that mean that "per head of population", Callan has a bigger "per capita" murder rate than Limerick ?

Callan : 1 / 1,224 = 0.08169 %
    Limerick : 5 / 91,000 = 0.00549 %

I'm not saying the above is in any way scientific, but it CAN be PROVEN by skewed use of FACTUAL STATISTICS.....

Slightly less biased version of the story available at http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/12383311?view=Eircomnet, although the headline is again used to deflect from Dublin's status.

Well allow me LB.

The Limerick Garda district, takes in all of Limerick City, Limerick County, Most of Clare, and parts of Tipperary.
    The total population is in and around 300,000.
    The "official" population of Limerick city is under 54,000.

The figures quoted are for murders in Limerick Garda district, and the population is taken as Limerick City's.

This means that the murder per capita rate in Limerick is actually almost 6 times lower than implied!!!!!!

Let me repeat that!

The murder per capita rate in Limerick is actually almost 6 times lower than implied!!!!!!

Coincidentally, the official Population of all of Dublin's Garda districts is around 750,000.
    The population that they take for Dublin is that of the greater area, and comes to around 1,450,000.
    This means that the official rates for Dublin, are less than half what they actually are!!!!!!

Let me repeat that too.

This means that the official rates for Dublin, are less than half what they actually are!!!!!!

Now before you ask why I don't have the exact numbers, it's because as of last year, the government stopped releasing them.
    And amazingly, two years ago, was when a University of Limerick maths professor went to a national newspaper, using those figures to point out that Limerick had one third of the crime per capita than Dublin, and in fact had less crime of any kind than the national average.

Last year was also the first time in the history of the state, when more than half of the murders in Ireland, happened within Dublin!!!!!

Now lets think about that.

Dublin's population is less than quarter of the nations, and they had more than half the murders, and yet Limerick has a higher level of murders!!!!!!

Come on people, don't forget to clean the sand out of your ears after you've removed your heads from it!!!!!!!

Please tell me how, I think, 4 murders in Limerick last year, consists a higher number per capita than the over 40 in Dublin?!!!

And again, just so you won't have to take my word, I'm sending in a written request for a detailed list of all crimes, and murders carried out in Ireland to Garda headquarters.
    We are guaranteed this information in our constitution, but the Gardai seem to have forgotten this for the last two years!!!!!

Once I have this, I am going to make out a detailed list of all murders and headline crimes in all parts of the country, and then I am going to seriously consider sending a legal request to all involved government agencies, and all media releasing this crap to issue a public retraction.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm gone past being mad at this crap!!!!

Well, strike one for free speech....

While checking for the actual figures behind this, I found an article that the Sindo published 18 months ago; at the time, I was interviewed on the radio about it, but my letter to the Sindo wasn't published and Live 95's calls to the paper were not returned.

The article itself isn't TOO bad, apart from the last line which is pure tabloid rubbish, but the headline is unbelieveably biased!, since it only refers that last line....

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/one-more-killing-and-limerick-is-murder-capital-of-western-europe-134911.html

BUT they actually published a comment that I posted today when I found the article.

I *think* the full letter that I sent to the Sindo is somewhere here on boards.ie in another thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Well allow me LB.

The Limerick Garda district, takes in all of Limerick City, Limerick County, Most of Clare, and parts of Tipperary.

The figures quoted are for murders in Limerick Garda district, and the population is taken as Limerick City's.

This means that the murder per capita rate in Limerick is actually almost 6 times lower than implied!!!!!!

Let me repeat that!

The murder per capita rate in Limerick is actually almost 6 times lower than implied!!!!!!

Coincidentally, the official Population of all of Dublin's Garda districts is around 750,000.
    The population that they take for Dublin is that of the greater area, and comes to around 1,450,000.

Let me repeat that too.

Now before you ask why I don't have the exact numbers, it's because as of last year, the government stopped releasing them.
    And amazingly, two years ago, was when a University of Limerick maths professor went to a national newspaper, using those figures to point out that Limerick had one third of the crime per capita than Dublin, and in fact had less crime of any kind than the national average.

Last year was also the first time in the history of the state, when more than half of the murders in Ireland, happened within Dublin!!!!!

Dublin's population is less than quarter of the nations, and they had more than half the murders, and yet Limerick has a higher level of murders!!!!!!

Come on people, don't forget to clean the sand out of your ears after you've removed your heads from it!!!!!!!

Please tell me how, I think, 4 murders in Limerick last year, consists a higher number per capita than the over 40 in Dublin?!!!

And again, just so you won't have to take my word, I'm sending in a written request for a detailed list of all crimes, and murders carried out in Ireland to Garda headquarters.
    We are guaranteed this information in our constitution, but the Gardai seem to have forgotten this for the last two years!!!!!

Once I have this, I am going to make out a detailed list of all murders and headline crimes in all parts of the country, and then I am going to seriously consider sending a legal request to all involved government agencies, and all media releasing this crap to issue a public retraction.

firstly, there was definatly more than 4 murders in limerick last year.
    and secondly including the peaceful countryside in limericks stats would actually make the numbers look better than they do, not worse as you seem to think.
    and thridly 101 shootings per 100,000 people is pretty awful any way you look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Well allow me LB.

Let me repeat that!

Let me repeat that too.

There were 8 murders in Limerick last year and 25% of all gun crime (shots discharged) happened in Limerick. Putting your head in the sand and ridicously claiming that the Limerick Garda division includes all of the Mid West or just Limerick City and thereby claiming the stats are wrong is a denial of the reality that Limerick is a very violent city. I really don't undersatand your maths. It is done on a per capita basis for each area.
    Accept it and deal with it. Consistently denying it won't help matters.

rebs23 wrote: »
    claiming the stats are wrong is a denial of the reality that Limerick is a very violent city
    rebs23 wrote: »
    I really don't undersatand your maths. It is done on a per capita basis for each area.
    . Accept it and deal with it. Consistently denying it won't help matters.

Once we get some statistical balance in the reporting, we can deal with it. Hysterical headlines claiming Limerick is worse or more dangerous than Dublin will only be accepted once the reporting is accurate and unbiased; otherwise people WILL start to say "that's wrong/unfair" and WILL bury their heads in the sand.

Pointing out that the stats are wrong doesn't deny that Limerick - or, more specifically, some areas of Limerick combined with some dodgy criminals in Limerick - are violent (I'd dispute the word "very"). Let's look at it another way - the overall safety of the general, law-abiding public......which is safer, Limerick or Dublin ? Factoring in the fact that almost all of the deaths in Limerick were criminals and gang members and not members of the public, I know where I'd feel safer.

Yes, there's a knock-on and some day an innocent bystander could get hurt or worse; so there's no call to put heads in the sand.....but looking for factual stats and balanced reporting is required so that we can see the extent of the problem and in fact is ESSENTIAL so that people WON'T dismiss it as just unbalanced and biased reporting.....

Plus, as I demonstrated above, "per capita" isn't a fair reflection, since a small village in Kilkenny has overtaken Limerick on the basis of one murder - 1 per approx 1,000 as against 1 per 10,000.

I can - and did - objectively say that's unfair, but the newspaper headlines don't give Limerick the same respect.....why not ? Did you see a headline at the weekend claiming that Kilkenny has a higher "per capita" murder rate ? Or did you even hear people associating Kilkenny City's reputation with something that happened in the county, 10 miles out ? It's ironically a similar distance away to that of the murder of Gerry McCabe in Adare which one newspaper associated with/added to the Limerick City crime level at the time !!!! Funny how it was OK for them to do that in Limerick's case, but not in Kilkenny's......

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Karmafaerie according to the article below the populations are taken on a county basis from the CSO?

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/12383311?view=Eircomnet

The crime figures are done per Garda division does this mean they include large parts of Clare and Tipp? I can't find any information on how garda districts are divided up in the Limerick/Midwest region.

The homicide rate 7 per 100,000 for Limerick. That would mean there were 12 murders between Limerick city and county if the crime figures are just for Limerick. That would seem very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

As far as I know, the crime figures are taken from the past two years, 06 and 07. Here's the Irish Times article on it:
    Limerick is black spot in State for homicide and gun crime

CONOR LALLY, Crime Correspondent

Dublin has the highest per capita overall crime rate in the Republic, but when it comes to very serious crime including homicide and gun crime Limerick is the State's black spot.

The findings are contained in figures obtained by The Irish Times which for the first time give a breakdown of headline, or serious, crime in counties and Garda divisions across the State.

The data reveal that in the last two years the number of incidents in which firearms were discharged was five times higher in Limerick than in Dublin, the next worst affected county.

There were some 101 incidents of discharging of firearms per 100,000 population in Limerick in 2006 and 2007 combined. This compares with 20 incidents per 100,000 people in Dublin.

The Wexford/Wicklow Garda division was next with 13 cases per 100,000 over the past two years.

The number of cases of possession of firearms was also highest in Limerick, with 46 cases per 100,000. This was followed by Tipperary, with 30 cases per 100,000, and Dublin with 28 cases.

The homicide rate for the last two years has also been highest in Limerick where there were seven cases of murder and manslaughter per 100,000.

Surprisingly, Tipperary had the second highest per capita number of homicides, with six cases per 100,000 over the past two years.

While Dublin has seen the highest incidence of homicide, at 63 cases, over the past two years, it ranks third on a per capita basis, with five cases per 100,000 in the period.

Mayo is the only Garda division in the State where no homicides were reported in the last two years. The county also boasts the lowest overall crime rate in the State.

The data also reveal discrepancies in the level of Garda manpower assigned to various Garda divisions.

Dublin is the most policed area with 356 gardaí per 100,000 population. This is followed by: Sligo/Leitrim, 337 gardaí per 100,000; Cavan/Monaghan, 334; Donegal, 324; and Limerick, 322.

The least policed region is the Wexford/Wicklow Garda division with 142 gardaí per 100,000 population.

The drugs problem is worst in Dublin, with 311 cases per 100,000 of possession of drugs for sale or supply in the past two years.

This level of drug dealing detections is almost twice as high as the next worst affected area, the Laois/Offaly Garda division. In Laois/Offaly there were 172 cases per 100,000, followed by Limerick, with 171 cases per 100,000.

Away from drug dealing and gun crime, the Cavan/Monaghan Garda division has the worst record in the "assault causing harm" category, with 282 cases per 100,000.

This is followed by: Donegal, 275 cases per 100,000; Limerick, 220 cases; Longford/Westmeath, 214 cases; and Dublin, 205 cases.

The Donegal division had the highest per capita number of sexual offences, with 88 cases per 100,000. This was followed by: Waterford/Kilkenny, 79 cases; Cavan/Monaghan, 71 cases.

Dublin is the burglary black spot in the State with 1,594 cases per 100,000 population in the past two years. This was followed by: Longford/Westmeath, 1,450; and Carlow/Kildare, 1,404.

The figures have been compiled by The Irish Times after obtaining a Central Statistics Office (CSO) breakdown of headline offences for Garda divisions over the past two years.

The CSO has just taken over from the Garda in compiling crime statistics.

The per capita rate of crime for each crime category in each division has been established using a combination of the divisional crime statistics and the CSO's county population figures.
    © 2008 The Irish Times

A lot more objective from the Irish Times, INCLUDING:
    Dublin is the most policed area with 356 gardaí per 100,000 population. This is followed by: ....... Limerick, 322.

Would it be fair to suggest that "More Gardai = less crime ?"

Therefore, can we logically conclude that IF Limerick had the same level of support from Government as their beloved Dublin, and we had the same level of Gardai, that things might be at least some bit better ?

Odd that we've 34 less Gardai even after the powers-that-be single us out for special attention, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

yawn....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I live in Swords north Co Dublin which is appoximately the size of Limerick with a similar population and a fraction of the serious crime Limerick has.

Limerick has a very serious crime problem and it's not a figment of anyones imagination.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I live in Swords north Co Dublin which is appoximately the size of Limerick with a similar population and a fraction of the serious crime Limerick has.

Limerick has a very serious crime problem and it's not a figment of anyones imagination.

Show me one place where anyone said otherwise ?

True, the correct phrase would start with "some areas of Limerick", but since it affects the entire city's reputation, it has become a citywide issue.

All we ask for is fair and balanced reporting. That's not too much to ask, is it ?
    BarryCreed wrote: »
    yawn....

Of course, if people are yawning during the discussion, :rolleyes: then they're probably not awake enough to spot the subtleties required to read between the lines of statistics and attention-grabbing headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Odd that we've 34 less Gardai even after the powers-that-be single us out for special attention, isn't it ?

There could be other, more boring and practical, reasons why Limerick does not have the same amount of guards per capita as Dublin - for instance, there might not be enough capacity in Limerick Garda Stations to accomodate them. I remember reading an article to that effect in one of the local papers about a year ago. There is talk though of the guards moving from Henry St to a larger more modern facility which could hopefully accomodate increased numbers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

The homicide rate for the last two years has also been highest in Limerick where there were seven cases of murder and manslaughter per 100,000.

Surprisingly, Tipperary had the second highest per capita number of homicides, with six cases per 100,000 over the past two years.

While Dublin has seen the highest incidence of homicide, at 63 cases, over the past two years, it ranks third on a per capita basis, with five cases per 100,000 in the period.

per capita doesnt tell you anything, it just makes things look better.

If Limerick had a similar population to dublin it would probably be the same over all.

To say Limerick has a worse homicide rate compared to Dublin is ludicrous.
    The Muppet

Limerick has a very serious crime problem and it's not a figment of anyones imagination

muppet by name and nature judging by that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Sunn wrote: »
    per capita doesnt tell you anything, it just makes things look better.

If Limerick had a similar population to dublin it would probably be the same over all.

muppet by name and nature judging by that post.

what would you suggest would be a better way to do the murder rate.

if limerick has 10 murders in a year and dublin also had 10 murders in a year, where would YOU be less likely to be murdered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

utick wrote: »
    what would you suggest would be a better way to do the murder rate.

if limerick has 10 murders in a year and dublin also had 10 murders in a year, where would YOU be less likely to be murdered?

Just because Dublin has a bigger population doesn't mean it would generally be safer, or you would less likely to be killed. Most people murdered are involved in criminal activity in some shape or form.

Your comment is purely hypothetical, I based my argument on the so called "facts".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ludicrous but true.

Your comment is purely hypothetical, I based my argument on the so called "facts".

Facts LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A lot more objective from the Irish Times, INCLUDING:

Would it be fair to suggest that "More Gardai = less crime ?"

Therefore, can we logically conclude that IF Limerick had the same level of support from Government as their beloved Dublin, and we had the same level of Gardai, that things might be at least some bit better ?

The Gardai in Limerick are in need of more resources - however at the moment Henry Street (HQ) simply cannot hold anymore Gardai by the looks of it. The quicker they build the new planned station the better.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    Yes but there is a big difference between crime and murder...

Yeah, crime affects me, the average bloke, more. All of these murders tend to be amongst feuding family's or whatever. Robberies, assaults and the like are not. Just think about it. :rolleyes:

Of course, if people are yawning during the discussion, :rolleyes: then they're probably not awake enough to spot the subtleties required to read between the lines of statistics and attention-grabbing headlines.

yawn and stretch and yawn again. I've never felt any danger walking around Limerick city. Granted about 10 to 12 years back, there was a nasty crew hanging around supermacs on saturday nights, but id assume most of them are now in prison or have been killed off.
    I felt far more uneasy walking around tullamore on a saturday night...
    and anytime i mention im from limk, people think its some s**thole.

Dublin has an amazing amount of scum walking around the city centre during the day. classy...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder if this had happened in Limerick would the media reaction be different?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/finglas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dublin has an amazing amount of scum walking around the city centre during the day. classy...

Yeah I'm from Limerick and feel no threat as the trouble is contained in certain dodgy estates and doesn't really affect the man in the street. It certainly isn't a problem for visitors to the city centre. If scumbags wipe out scumbags, my eyes stay dry.

However, on my regular visits to HQ of work in Dublin, I feel quite uneasy at times. I travel from Heuston on the Luas to the docklands area and the entire route has dodgy customers hanging around Luas stops getting on and off, harrassing people at the ticket machines for change and generally being menacing. I don't know why the authorities in Dub tolerate this. This Luas route and Heuston are frequented by a lot of visitors to our country.

its nearly more intimidating during the day in dublin than at night.
    i also agree with the above poster, I have no problems with scumbags wiping out each other.
    what they could do is get them all into the gaelic grounds or croker, like gladiators, and charge in to see them all fight till the death.
    seriously, most small towns in ireland are worse than limerick id say...
    you rarely see scraps and the likes in town (limk), i suppose there are always gonna be risks in the quieter parts of town, but i wasnt 10 minutes in a nightclub in tullamore on saturday, and there was a mass brawl, women and all, and then you get slagged cos you're from limk.
    if what happened in finglas happened in limk yesterday, would be a different story alright...

yawn and stretch and yawn again. I've never felt any danger walking around Limerick city. Granted about 10 to 12 years back, there was a nasty crew hanging around supermacs on saturday nights, but id assume most of them are now in prison or have been killed off.
    I felt far more uneasy walking around tullamore on a saturday night...
    and anytime i mention im from limk, people think its some s**thole.

Sorry, Barry.....I took the yawn as a reply to my post, rather than at the thread title / headline.....apologies!!!

It's true, though - I've NEVER, EVER seen anything in Limerick that was even REMOTELY like the level of violence shown in Dublin's St Patrick's Day riots....how many years have they gone on now ?

So where are (law-abiding) members of the public safer, then ?

• Advertisement

utick wrote: »

On the face of it, probably Limerick, but that's because I live here (so I'm here 365 days a year and I'm in Dublin about twice a year if I can't avoid it).

Although, on second thoughts and looking at current trends, I'm not involved in the drugs trade or associated with anyone in the feud, so therefore even if there were 10 murders in each I'd probably have a better chance of being killed in Dublin.

Of course, looking at yesterday's headlines, I could always stay on O'Connell St in Limerick instead of going to Dublin on St Patrick's Day, thereby doubling my chances of not being killed or maimed.

Advertisement