Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick has highest level of killings and gun crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick is rough.
    We all know it and deal with it!
    Big whoop!
    Somewhere has to have the highest level of killings and gun crime!
    So what if we do?
    It's not the only thing Limerick has to it's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Sorry, Barry.....I took the yawn as a reply to my post, rather than at the thread title / headline.....apologies!!!

no worries Liam. It's just jaded at this stage, the way the national media won't acknowledge the fact that the trouble in Limerick (unfortunately for them) only affects a very small number of people, from what I can see...

Then, on the other hand, you do come across some people from Limerick who, when they are away, they seem to think they have to live up to some tough guy reputation...

Although, on occasions, I have put on a serious Limerick accent to get me out of some situations, then was accused of being a "cork wa*ker"!!! I'm FROM Limk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is Limerick a rough place or is Southill a rough place? Is Dublin a rough place or is Finglas a rough place?

See what I'm getting at with bold font? The media doesn't want Limerick to be a sports capital/vibrant college scene/Georgian blocks/majestic river centrepiece. It wants the entire place to be some kind of cartoon-style crime blackspot.

On the other hand - Dublin is cool hibernia/docklands/U2/point depot (oh and yeah there may be the odd drunk teen burning out a car/visitor getting finger ripped off/heroin addict begging for change - but let's not focus on that)

One can become very misinformed by subcontracting out one's thinking to the ridiculously Dublo-centric media. Judging by the reactions I get when introducing myself as a Limerick City native, a lot of people seem to be doing just that.

I wonder what the coverage would be like if that tourist had his finger ripped off in Limerick city.
    Does that go into the area of scumbags just getting worse and worse all over the country...they just don't seem to care.
    back on topic, good point by topper75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yup, topper75 is bang-on the button.

I was watching TV3's - ahem - "news" last night and they were on about the riot in FINGLAS.......now here's a pop quiz....

If that had been in a suburb of Limerick, which would have been in the headline:

A) The name of the suburb
    B) LIMERICK

I texted them about the discrepancy but - surprise, surprise - they ignored it.

Not only that, but there's a massive, scary difference between the two.......ANYONE could have been killed or injured in that riot, whereas Limerick's violence is 90% targetted at family members in the feud.....

I know where I feel safer, anyway......no contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

doesnt matter what happens in dublin or else where, when something happens in Limerick they all jump on it and highlight it as evidence of what a dive of a city we have.

there was a fight one night near supermacs and i think a car was damaged, the media portrayed it to scenes similar to belfast at the hight of the troubles.

that love ulster riot, which was a real riot, hasnt stuck to dublin reputation. I am sick to my teeth of people using misinformed and biased new paper articles to illustrate what a **** city Limerick is.

Just recently i got an article from a friend showing some guy walking down a deserted street strewen with rubbish, it was impossible to make out where the street was, but the article is how Limerick is a stagnent , declining city, haven fallen behind galway in terms of population. of course it utterly failed to mention that half of Limerick city was outside a boundry which hasnt been changed in years. even though Limerick is still bigger than galway, it has now in the eyes of the media sliped to the 4th largest city in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

daithicarr wrote: »
    doesnt matter what happens in dublin or else where, when something happens in Limerick they all jump on it and highlight it as evidence of what a dive of a city we have.

there was a fight one night near supermacs and i think a car was damaged, the media portrayed it to scenes similar to belfast at the hight of the troubles.

that love ulster riot, which was a real riot, hasnt stuck to dublin reputation. I am sick to my teeth of people using misinformed and biased new paper articles to illustrate what a **** city Limerick is.

Just recently i got an article from a friend showing some guy walking down a deserted street strewen with rubbish, it was impossible to make out where the street was, but the article is how Limerick is a stagnent , declining city, haven fallen behind galway in terms of population. of course it utterly failed to mention that half of Limerick city was outside a boundry which hasnt been changed in years. even though Limerick is still bigger than galway, it has now in the eyes of the media sliped to the 4th largest city in the republic.

I've never had a problem walking down any street day or night in Limerick, I've seen fights and all kinds of stuff in cities all over Ireland what makes Limerick a media attraction? Well they have to find something wrong don't they!
    Limerick is a great place to be, nice friendly people clean streets new places popping up all over.
    So what’s Limericks problem?
    Nothing that any other city can claim to be free of, crimes happen everywhere it's just how the media have painted limerick and of course it's brought up again if the smallest thing happens.
    I just came back from Rome, now I know size wise and population wise there is no comparison but as for dirty streets! Boy they certainly win the prize and to walk down a street there at night well I’d feel a lot safer in Limerick
    IMO

FAB CITY not Stab city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

The Muppet wrote: »
    I live in Swords north Co Dublin which is appoximately the size of Limerick with a similar population and a fraction of the serious crime Limerick has.

Limerick has a very serious crime problem and it's not a figment of anyones imagination.

hah i just have to laugh at this quote! i cant believe no1 has wrote back about this! swords has a population of about 35000, its a town..slightly bigger than one of limericks bigger suburbs..Limerick is a city with comfortably over 100,000, trying to compare a town which is significantly dwarfed by it is fairly redeculous to say the least! no offence!

:)
    True, the correct phrase would start with "some areas of Limerick", but since it affects the entire city's reputation, it has become a citywide issue.
    All we ask for is fair and balanced reporting. That's not too much to ask, is it ?

I couldn’t agree more
    The Muppet wrote: »
    I live in Swords north Co Dublin which is appoximately the size of Limerick with a similar population and a fraction of the serious crime Limerick has.
    Limerick has a very serious crime problem and it’s not a figment of anyones imagination.

All crime is serious!

I think you should revise your geography and census!
    Swords is nowhere near the size or population of limerick city, more like the size and population of Raheen or Castleroy.

Show me a CITY in Ireland that doesn’t have a crime problem

The Gardai in Limerick are in need of more resources - however at the moment Henry Street (HQ) simply cannot hold anymore Gardai by the looks of it. The quicker they build the new planned station the better.

Yeah, crime affects me, the average bloke, more. All of these murders tend to be amongst feuding family's or whatever. Robberies, assaults and the like are not. Just think about it. :rolleyes:

Very true Gardai are under resourced in this instance in (limerick), how many stations are there Edward St (Closed), Mary St (think it’s still open if so it’s undersized) Henry St (Bulging) Mayorstone (undersized) Roxborough (Bulging)

Murder in limerick does tend to be feud related, when was the last time anyone heard of John Doe being shot in limerick unless it’s a stray round! (Touch wood it will never happen anywhere)

As for arming uniformed Gardai I say yes,
    Picture walking or driving through a part of a city where drug dealing gangs reside who in order to guard their turf (or repel feuding gangs) are most certainly within reach of some ballistics ordnance

What chance do two Gardai with radios and batons stand against a bullet fired from a gun held by some 20 yro twit who is bombed on weed, ecstasy or cocaine and couldn’t give a flying fiddlers about doing time.
    Okay the two Gardai get on the radio for back up that takes how long? 2 5 10 minutes by that time this little scumbag could have shot and killed anyone who passes, innocent civilians or Gardai.
    What then he gets 15 years for manslaughter gets out after 8 and guess what, he’s a hard man now so he starts making money from more crime.

These gangs don’t feel threatened by Gardai or the law; ok they go inside for 6 months to 2 years what happens? Well they meet up with the rest of their cronies and have a great time, until they arrive out on the streets and start all over again
    Arm the Gardai let these scumbags know that if they bite they will get bitten not sent on holidays for a few months so they can watch DVD’s, have a laugh, get fed and found.

These criminals have perfectly good estates in limerick ruined, driving out the genuine people only for the houses to be boarded up as no one will live there.
    Then the media get hold of a big brush, paint limerick city and county one colour and put a big DO NOT ENTER STAB CITY AHEAD sign up!

(End of my weekly rant) :) Written with all due respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

roadruner wrote: »
    :)

)

Murder in limerick does tend to be feud related, when was the last time anyone heard of John Doe being shot in limerick unless it’s a stray round! (Touch wood it will never happen anywhere)

its the same in dublin, most of it is feud related there also, the last innocent victim i remember in limierick was a few months ago, some guy visiting from england had his head sevred with an axe, so it would be naeive to think it never happens in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

utick wrote: »
    its the same in dublin, most of it is feud related there also, the last innocent victim i remember in limierick was a few months ago, some guy visiting from england had his head sevred with an axe, so it would be naeive to think it never happens in limerick

Good god. Sounds horrific.

Sad but true unfortunately

its the same in dublin, most of it is feud related there also, the last innocent victim i remember in limierick was a few months ago, some guy visiting from england had his head sevred with an axe
    Strange....never heard about that and there's no sign of it during a couple of Google searches.....

Urban legend or actual story ? roadruner seems to imply that it's true, so I don't want to doubt anyone. Any chance of a link to back it up ?
    so it would be naeive to think it never happens in limerick
    That's just it - no-one's saying that it doesn't. We're just saying that it's nothing like what's reported. You'd expect that crap from tabloids, but when broadsheets and "reputable" sources start doing it, then there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did not think his head was severed. I am guessing we are talking about the guy who was killed in Southill? He was back from England, and going by the news reports at the time, was looking for work in Limerick.

An axe or machete was what was reported as being the most likely murder weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Last year or the year before there was a guy in Dublin who had his body chopped up by his girlfriend and her sister, then they dumped the body parts in the Grand Canal, the Gardai found the headless torso afik.

Both women are in prison know so voilent deaths are not just a Limerick thing. It would equally be naeive to think so.

Strange....never heard about that and there's no sign of it during a couple of Google searches.....

Urban legend or actual story ? roadruner seems to imply that it's true, so I don't want to doubt anyone. Any chance of a link to back it up ?

That's just it - no-one's saying that it doesn't. We're just saying that it's nothing like what's reported. You'd expect that crap from tabloids, but when broadsheets and "reputable" sources start doing it, then there's a problem.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/3419/Southill-community-in-shock-at.3515078.jp

its a link from one of your own media outlets, so you can hardly accuse it of being dublin media hype either

Sources claimed that Mr Hannon was "bludgeoned to death and was struck with an axe at the back of his neck", and that "the attack was so brutal that his head was practically severed from his body".

I said 'Sad but true unfortunately' to the quote about it being feud related, nothing about 'some guy visiting from england had his head severed with an axe'

The guy who was murdered was not from england he lived in southill all his life, and wasn't killed by the axe he was bludgeoned apparently

As for links to back it up Liam you have had your say here too :)
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/one-more-killing-and-limerick-is-murder-capital-of-western-europe-134911.html

As for an axe murder in Limerick well It must have never made the media, I can't remember a murder like it happening
    This was the last one
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/murder-investigation-launched-into-limerick-death-1296832.html

If your looking to find history of murders in limerick that were published
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/template/results.aspx?SearchText=murder&SearchType=Exact&PageId=1&SectionID=3419

I said 'Sad but true unfortunately' to the quote about it being feud related, nothing about 'some guy visiting from england had his head severed with an axe'

The guy who was murdered was not from england he lived in southill all his life, and wasn't killed by the axe he was bludgeoned apparently

As for links to back it up Liam you have had your say here too :)
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/one-more-killing-and-limerick-is-murder-capital-of-western-europe-134911.html

As for an axe murder in Limerick well It must have never made the media, I can't remember a murder like it happening
    This was the last one
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/murder-investigation-launched-into-limerick-death-1296832.html

http://www.limerickleader.ie/template/results.aspx?SearchText=murder&SearchType=Exact&PageId=1&SectionID=3419

i posted the link for you above, made it nice and simple for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Utick, what have got against Limerick?

You were describing Limerick as stab city in After Hours not so long ago, you only seem to row in here when you have something negative to say?

I mean, surely you life isn't so empty you get your kicks running down Limerick on the internet, surely there's better things to do with your time?

With regards to the stats, as soon as the irish middle-class decide to stop doing drugs, perhaps Limerick's problems will clear up. If you are doing drugs in ireland, you are supporting violent crime, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

It's funny to see people from Dublin pointing the finger at Limerick and shouting "stab city", "your town is full of criminals" etc etc. The fact of the matter is that this is an attitude held by small minded people who cannot see beyond their own confines (little kingdoms syndrome).
    The problem that Limerick experiences with serious crime levels shouldn't be considered a Limerick problem, it's an Irish problem. The feuds in Limerick are fueled by the drug industry, which I might add is pandemic in this country with a major source of the market based in Dublin.
    As Amaz stated, the blame should be shared by the middle class 'shapers' who indulge in Class A "recreational" narcotics whose self imposed blinkering wont let them admit that they are paying for these murders.
    To see people from one part of Ireland slagging people from another part is so hilarious considering the tiny little island we live on, and the 4 or so million of us who would easily fit into a decent sized European city. Dublin is only 2.5 hrs or so from limerick, there is no 'us' and 'them', there is only 'us'.

• Advertisement

Fair enough - in my defence I did say "seemed to imply".

But from the previous comments and the lack of any links to back up the story AS DESCRIBED it seems like it is an urban legend - i.e. a load of rubbish, possibly exaggerated and embellished from the story of...

Just realised that utick even posted the link to the original, relatively unembellished story. The one where "sources" (unnamed and unverified) said that "bludgeoned to death and was struck with an axe at the back of his neck", and that "the attack was so brutal that his head was practically severed from his body".

Terrible, true; but not quite the same as someone going into a crowded pub and chopping off someone's hand, and definitely not "did ya hear about yer man that got his head chopped off with an axe" :rolleyes:

So therefore the embellished story is yet another example of the rubbish that people think and believe about Limerick.

Yup, and in actual fact that was a condensed version of what I sent to the Sindo, because they never retracted that story or published the original letter. In fact, I posted a link to that comment myself earlier. The cowards never published it, and they wouldn't come on air with Ed Myers and myself to explain the gaping holes in their conclusions either.....plonkers!

Interesting.....you say "it must have never made the media"; given Dublin's penchant for latching onto ANYTHING bad about Limerick, that's highly unlikely - it's probably more to the point (in the absence of any link ANYWHERE on the web to back it up) THAT IT NEVER HAPPENED ?? The story that's there in the Leader happened, but the story described earlier in the post did not.

No-one's saying that stuff doesn't happen, and it shouldn't. But the above rubbish about someone getting decapitated is a perfect example; as was pointed out, something like this DID happen in Dublin, but DIDN'T happen in Limerick, and yet people still come on bulletin boards and ask "do you remember this happening in Limerick?" :rolleyes:

5 houses shot at in Limerick city

And it starts again

http://www.95fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=n&id=88221

Devil's advocate here, but what's the Dublin link ?

"The gunmen were driving in a taxi car which had been stolen in Dublin on Saint Patrick`s Day. "

Were the shooters from Dublin ? I know if it were the other way around there would be headlines focussing on this angle......

Aside from the biased coverage, though, it does happen, and we need the powers-that-be to crush these scum before they drag our fine city into the sewers.....

Lol good on you Liam, I was expecting you to reply to it :-)

Amazing all the same, Dublin have some connection to it!

a few weeks ago, some guy visiting Dublin from england severed his finger in the city centre, running away from scum.

"The gunmen were driving in a taxi car which had been stolen in Dublin on Saint Patrick`s Day. "

Were the shooters from Dublin ? I know if it were the other way around there would be headlines focussing on this angle......

Aside from the biased coverage, though, it does happen, and we need the powers-that-be to crush these scum before they drag our fine city into the sewers.....

Sorry Liam I never read your post properly, the link is the taxi came from Dublin :D

BarryCreed wrote: »
    a few weeks ago, some guy visiting Dublin from england severed his finger in the city centre, running away from scum.

He said afterwards he confused an argument he had early in a take away where he got a headbutt, with losing the top of his finger

He climbed over a fence for some reason, thats how he lost it apparently :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

yep he lost it clibing over a fence heh fekin fool.

looks like it was a ak47 that was used down the island by the way
    so we got another ak in the hands of the scum!!

from new zealand http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/Story/tabid/209/articleID/50674/cat/41/Default.aspx

to america http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23807824/ the whole world has a vendetta against limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

imagine the degree of conspiracy! now the Dublin media even bribing news agencies and tv stations abroad!

Advertisement