Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon

• 11-03-2008 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Is there anyway of applying for the London Marathon for an oversea's entry without going through a travel agent?

I know this year is too late, but thinking about next years marathon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

You need a UK address to apply through the lottery. If you know someone who lives in the UK (or N. Ireland) then use their address to apply. I did that for this years race but was unsuccessful so ended up running through Sports Travel International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The most common way into London seems to be through a "golden bond" charity place, where you commit to raise a certain amount of money and teh charity pays for your starting slot. A lot of them also have dedicated support around teh event, training newsletters and advice, private pasta parties and the like. I would imagine that they won't be too bothered about where you live. Targets are quite high though - £2,000 STG seems about the average.

Personally I'm not sure I agree with the whole idea of "golden bond" places as you tend to question the motives of people raising the money. Also the bigger charities tend to get into a race over what support they provide, which costs more money that probably should be going to whatever worthy cause they support.

If you google "golden bond london marathon" you'll get a list of links. I am sure if you check the official website they'll have a list somewhere as well. EDIT - Link here . Concern do it, may be a good 1st port of call.

There are also "Good for age" places - you'll need a UK address and a fast time to qualify though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I'm running it for Concern through Sports Travel. Not a big fan of the Golden Bond either so I've decided to pay my costs and give whatever I've raised to charity. Croi and the Irish Cancer Society also have places in London but Concern only require you to raise €1,500 while the others are €2,500+

Advertisement