Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol Pumps

Options
  • 11-03-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

From this day onwards i am starting a campaign, that when some idiot decides to park at the petrol pumps in front of me and just saunter into the shop without even putting a drop of petrol in the car, i am going to press the horn on my car continually until that said fool comes back out and realises how stupid of a thing they are doing. really, whats wrong with these people that do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Never seen that happen.

If the pumps are really busy, then I usually just move the car out the way and down to the edge of the filling station bay and then go in to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Never seen that happen.

If the pumps are really busy, then I usually just move the car out the way and down to the edge of the filling station bay and then go in to pay.

thats because your a decent person jeremiah. i comend you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Follow them into the shop and say in a loud voice "Since you're not getting petrol you need to move your car so I can fill up"?
    Alternately crash repeatedly into their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Really some people have very little to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stevoman wrote: »
    i am going to press the horn on my car continually
    All the attention would be drawn towards you and you would look like a complete idiot.

Regardless of courtesy etc. filling stations are on private property and therefore those people are not doing anything illegal.

After I fill up I always move my car to another part of the forecourt. I don't understand why others just saunter into the shop, and spend ages selecting food etc. while holding up the pumps.

After I fill up I always move my car to another part of the forecourt. I don't understand why others just saunter into the shop, and spend ages selecting food etc. while holding up the pumps.

this is my point. thats the way i always operate whilst i am at a pumps. now i know maybe i will look like an idiot but desperate times call for desperate measures. this will highlight to the fool that what they are doing is so stupid. Ok going out on a limb here i have to say that about 80% of the time the culprits are women in my experience, as was this morning.

80% of the time the culprits are women in my experience, as was this morning.
    A few years ago I was waiting a long time for a driver to reappear. She did. Got in and spent ages putting on seatbelt, sunglasses and adjusting hair etc. Just when I thought she was ready to move she takes out the mobile and makes a call. I gave a tiny 'beep' (I'm patient by nature) to let her know I was there. She went absolutely banannas, jumped out of the car and began to abuse and threaten me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Busy petrol stations seem to frown upon people moving their cars away from the pumps before they've paid for their fuel. I think it makes it harder to track who's paid for what on the CCTV.

A few years ago I was waiting a long time for a driver to reappear. She did. Got in and spent ages putting on seatbelt, sunglasses and adjusting hair etc. Just when I thought she was ready to move she takes out the mobile and makes a call. I gave a tiny 'beep' (I'm patient by nature) to let her know I was there. She went absolutely banannas, jumped out of the car and began to abuse and threaten me! :rolleyes:

oh, wishbone my blood would boil! that would be asbo time! Ithink i would combat this by throwing acomplete wabbler or driving around in front of her and refusing to move. going in and doing the same as she has done. uuuhhh thats just drove a thorn in my side:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I fill up then pay for it before moving my car. Sorry, but i'm paying for a service and I plan on making use of it.

My local Esso does be fairly busy at weekends when the petrol is a little cheaper and some people really do take the biscuit e.g Fill up, have a chat with the guy next to you for a while then go in and pay, meet someone else on the way out and chat for another few minutes before getting back into your car and moving. That happened to me a few months ago and really got on my nerves!

I see no problem with leaving your car at the pump while you go in and pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

If there was free parking else where i might be mildy annoyed, but if there was no free parking then its a problem for the petrol station not the OP. Frankly how much of a rush can you be in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Stephen wrote: »
    Busy petrol stations seem to frown upon people moving their cars away from the pumps before they've paid for their fuel. I think it makes it harder to track who's paid for what on the CCTV.

I'd think that too. What happens if you move your car forward and then go into the shop to stand in the inevitable queue for 5 minutes?
    Does the guy behind you reset the pump some way (is there a way?) or does he just put a fiver of petrol into his car before noticing the pump wasn't reset to zero? Then you've got a big delay while you try to explain that to the guy behind the register.

Vikings wrote: »

I see no problem with leaving your car at the pump while you go in and pay though.

No thats sensible, unless their is somewhon behind you and you feel like you can move out of couresy, but parking and not getting petrol and going in for a shop is madness.

deegs wrote: »
    If there was free parking else where i might be mildy annoyed, but if there was no free parking then its a problem for the petrol station not the OP. Frankly how much of a rush can you be in?

The fact is where im talking about there was plenty of parking and in most stations there is. its pure ignorance to park at a pump, look at the car behind you, not get petrol and walk in.
    frankly im usually in a rush and frankly id have manners and common sense at these pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

:DAgree and also would do the same for folks who park their car for wash before actually buying the coupan...

Lets do it!

P.S
    What if someone bring out the gun and shoot us back :-):rolleyes:

Ithink i would combat this by throwing acomplete wabbler or driving around in front of her and refusing to move. going in and doing the same as she has done. uuuhhh thats just drove a thorn in my side:eek:
    But then you'd only be dragging yourself down to her level. ;)

My reaction - totally blanked her out. Windows remained tightly shut while I played with the radio. She then looked and felt like a complete idiot drawing all that attention on herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well what can also happen is - if someone parks not at a petrol pump but 'elsewhere' they can block people trying to get out of the petrol station. And you have to sit and wait for someone beside you to move or them to come back.
    Also with moving after you've filled up, I never do - I go in and pay first. I've gone up to pumps before and they're not reset/won't work until the person inside has paid.

The only major thing that might bother me at petrol stations is people who park a mile out from the pump (thus blocking you getting around).

But then you'd only be dragging yourself down to her level. ;)

My reaction - totally blanked her out. Windows remained tightly shut while I played with the radio. She then looked and felt like a complete idiot drawing all that attention on herself.

your a patient man wishbone i'l give you that. Im not blessed with that virtue im afraid to say, wish i was sometimes though!

.........and of course, there are those who park at the water/airline when they don't intend to get water/air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Ok slightly off topic here but.....does anyone know how to lock the pump so that it pumps itself ? There's some sort of catch on it that u can lock in so u don't have to stand there holding the handle up the whole time. Anyone know how to work it.

On topic i must say it really pisses me off ppl leaving their cars at pumps, a few weeks ago i seen two women blocking two pumps with their cars having a good ole chat, oblivious to the fact that there were other ppl who wanted to use the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,818 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those catches are specifically broken in Ireland as 'automatic' pumps are illegal here.

Zorba wrote: »
    Ok slightly off topic here but.....does anyone know how to lock the pump so that it pumps itself ? There's some sort of catch on it that u can lock in so u don't have to stand there holding the handle up the whole time. Anyone know how to work it
    The catches are usually removed. Too many instances of nozzles falling out of the tank inlet and spilling gallons of fuel all over the ground.

Some truck diesel pumps do have them though as one's hand can tire waiting for 1000 litres to dispense. ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,818 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some truck diesel pumps do have them though as one's hand can tire waiting for 1000 litres to dispense. ;).

Despite them being specifically banned in law? :confused:

Theres been a thread on this before, theres some SI from the late 1970s that bans their use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

As said , the stations car park IS private property and so road traffic laws need not apply.
    There is no need to park at the pump if your not getting petrol , but also there is no need to move your vehicle until you have paid also.

I was once followed by the son of petrol station owner because the thick "young'wan" at the register forgot i had paid.
    Needless to say i was straight back to the station telling the "dodgy" owner what i thought of his "business" and have never returned since.

MYOB wrote: »

Theres been a thread on this before, theres some SI from the late 1970s that bans their use.
    I'm not really familiar with those regulations. Anyone know which Statutory Instrument covers it. Perhaps there are exemptions.

(PS - some green diesel (agri) pumps do not have those catches removed either ;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Zorba wrote: »
    Ok slightly off topic here but.....does anyone know how to lock the pump so that it pumps itself ? There's some sort of catch on it that u can lock in so u don't have to stand there holding the handle up the whole time. Anyone know how to work it.

On topic i must say it really pisses me off ppl leaving their cars at pumps, a few weeks ago i seen two women blocking two pumps with their cars having a good ole chat, oblivious to the fact that there were other ppl who wanted to use the pumps.

Just stick your petrol cap in to the nozzel handle securing the pump...then lean casually back against your car looking > super cool < while all the other mugs hunch over the nozzel. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MYOB wrote: »

Is it something that would keep you up at night though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Regardless of courtesy etc. filling stations are on private property and therefore those people are not doing anything illegal.
    hottstuff wrote: »
    As said , the stations car park IS private property and so road traffic laws need not apply.

While the garage is trading, the forecourt is a public place, so the Road Traffic Act does apply.

Same with shopping carparks and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Personally I leave the car at the pump until after I've paid.

If it's a small forecourt, it's usually not too busy anyway so I'm not holding anyone up.
    If it's a big forecourt, there's usually plenty of room for another car to get by anyway.

Do people pay by cash or by card?
    If you're paying by cash, you can stop the pump at €20.05, throw the grl a twenty and be on your way.
    Paying by card, stop the pump at €50.01 and the extra cent is charged.....

Advertisement