Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance problems

• 11-03-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi guys

I seem to be having a problem getting insurance for my camper. According to Dolmen, the previous owner registered the vehicle as a manufacturer build (it isn't - it is a home conversion). They also stated that it was too big (Iveco 59.12 turbo daily) and could not insure it.
    I contacted the motorcaravan club and Bill told me that the room in the back was too large and could be used as a commercial - he also said that he would not be able to insure it!

Can anybody help on this matter?
    Should I try Stuarts, or will I get the same answer there?
    Does this mean that I am going to have to invest a lot of time and money to reduce the space in the back?

3 questions for the price of one :D

All help gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

How much space is there in the back and could it accomidate a fixed bed?
    It sounds like it was a race vehicle or the likes previously.
    Is it currently registered as a motorhome or a commercial vehicle?
    Does it meet all the requirments for a motorhome? ie Sink, cooker etc.
    I'm guessing you may have to modify it to ensure that it couldn't be considered a commercial.
    There's vehicles out there these days registered as motorhomes but used day to day as vans. In the event of an accident then insurance could be invalid.
    Contact Stewarts and explain or ask them what you would need to do to get it insured. Post some pictures to give us a better idea of the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bogtrotter72

Yes, you are right.
    I believe that the van was used to transport motorcycles in the past.

As you might be able to see from the attached picture there is plenty of space in the back. (Too much obviously for Dolmen and the Motorcaravan club).

Thanks for the tip though - the missus and I are planning on taking a trip to Stuarts to ask them exactly that - what do we need to do.....

When I spoke to Dolmen on the phone, they assured me that the van has all the necessary requirements of a camper (cooker, etc, etc)......it is already registered as a camper for tax purposes, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Yep,it has that appearance allright. I'd suggest getting a few sheets of kingspan and some plywood and framing it out for extra living space. Put in a double bed, possibly hinged so it could be folded up for bicycle storage etc. It shouldn't cost a fortune and it's always nice to have the extra space.
    Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement