Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote For Terence

• 11-03-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all
    My name is Terence, and I'm running for the position of VP/ Communications & Development in the SU elections this year.
    My Manifestoyou can also visit my bebo if you're interested
    http://www.bebo.com/terenceforvp(link working now?)
    Most of what I what to do is centered around improving the website, and including student generated content more.

I'll try to get back on here before Thursday to answer any questions you guys might have, but I'd appreciate your vote!
    Thanks for reading :D
    Terence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ok, seeing as Ive been quiet this year

1) Im a remote student (postgraduate) who gets on campus maybe 4 times a month. How do you propose better communication between remote students and the SU?
    2) What changes and new initiatives would you plan to take to VP/Coms&Dev, particularly in the Dev field?
    3) Will you be comitted to bringing information to students who are not involved in the SU in the form of class reps etc, ie enforcing class reps talking to the members of the class, filling them in on changes and their rights etc? How do you plan on improving this?
    4) how do you (or do you) plan on making all students aware of their rights and how to get the most information and help on them, ie grants, housing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Free lollies and you have yourself a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hey all
    My name is Terence...

Great name! You'd have my vote, if I had one. :D

Bebo link doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

That Terence is a bad man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Terence For VP

Hey folan, thanks for the responce.
    folan wrote: »
    1) Im a remote student (postgraduate) who gets on campus maybe 4 times a month. How do you propose better communication between remote students and the SU?

By moving communications to the internet instead of the publication. With regular newletters, blogs, podcasts and videos you don't have to be on campus to be aware of what's going on and also have an input/give your opinion.
    2) What changes and new initiatives would you plan to take to VP/Coms&Dev, particularly in the Dev field?

In the Dev field I want to look at how Class Reps are recuited, as at the minute it takes alot of man power. There has to be a better way of doing it! I also want to run communication classes for the President and Secratary of every society so that they are aware of the new channels of communication I want to build, and also so that they can use them efficently.
    As I say in my manifesto I want to move to the website much more and have multimedia and interactive communications so that more people can feel like they are involved in the Union.
    3) Will you be comitted to bringing information to students who are not involved in the SU in the form of class reps etc, ie enforcing class reps talking to the members of the class, filling them in on changes and their rights etc? How do you plan on improving this?

I'd actually hope to develop a class rep forum on the existing Mikadosoc.ie forums so that class reps have somewhere to give information to the students without having to interupt lecturers. There would also be alot of information included in the Newletter, and there would of course be advertising campaigns for bigger issues.
    4) how do you (or do you) plan on making all students aware of their rights and how to get the most information and help on them, ie grants, housing etc.
    That would obviously involve working with the President & VP/Welfare, and alot of that information would be given out in the Freshers' Handbook and also during the various Welfare campaigns that run through the year. Alot of that info is already on nuimsu.com, but some updating would be needed.
    Hope that answers your questions!

Rozabeez wrote: »
    That Terence is a bad man...
    But you're going to vote for me, right:D

• Advertisement

I'd actually hope to develop a class rep forum on the existing Mikadosoc.ie forums so that class reps have somewhere to give information to the students without having to interupt lecturers. There would also be alot of information included in the Newletter, and there would of course be advertising campaigns for bigger issues.

Question on this.

I am not a member of Mikado, as are a huge number of other students. Why Mikado?
    Would there be an avenue for legitimate concerns of the singular student to voice their opinion to the Union anonymously? I'm well in favour of the internet, but believe Maynooth over-relys upon Mikado to spread word to students. Especially when it is a student organisation which requires student registration, ie not anonymous, and numbers are far from reaching the full size of the college! Would a nuimsu.com board be implementated to meet these issues?

one of my suggestions (nice to haves as a student and would be nice for alumni) would have to be an RSS feed from the news section of the nuimsu site. just something i always thought would be handy.

Cheers for getting back to me on these points, and best of luck tomorrow.

While its still fresh in the head, more on the mikado issue.
    never mind the fact that to avail of this, the entire student body would have to join mikado.

Your idea seems to be putting the onus on the students to find out about whats happening in the union, and not to inform them. while i can see where you are coming from, the idea is flawed as since many students will not want to join mikado. so if its put somewhere else will they know where to look for such information, and many will not check regularly which could easily lead to them missing important issues relating to them.

How many copys of the spoke are read at the minute. Is this a viable way of getting information to students?

If not, why does a message board that only members can view seem like a more viable option. Should the onus not be the class reps to inform the students they represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

who actually cares about these elections in the college.
    do 10% of the college even vote in them.
    Its a load of rubbish.
    Ye all promise ye will change the whole college but actually ye all do nothing if ye get elected just go hiding for a year incase ye have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

Its a load of rubbish.
    Ye all promise ye will change the whole college but actually ye all do nothing if ye get elected just go hiding for a year incase ye have to do something.

roverjoyce wrote:
    Its a load of rubbish.

I care.
    Known someone in a sabat for for the last 3 years of my undergrad, all did serious work, most of it overlooked because people dont realise whats being done for em.
    If you feel that way about your sabats, go to them and get involved. do it yourself if it seems noone else will.

• Advertisement

While its still fresh in the head, more on the mikado issue.
    never mind the fact that to avail of this, the entire student body would have to join mikado.

Your idea seems to be putting the onus on the students to find out about whats happening in the union, and not to inform them. while i can see where you are coming from, the idea is flawed as since many students will not want to join mikado. so if its put somewhere else will they know where to look for such information, and many will not check regularly which could easily lead to them missing important issues relating to them.

How many copys of the spoke are read at the minute. Is this a viable way of getting information to students?

If not, why does a message board that only members can view seem like a more viable option. Should the onus not be the class reps to inform the students they represent?

Sorry, I may have been unclear.
    I don't plan on using the message board as a central part of communications, more as a resource tht can be helpful.
    I still plan on getting info out to the students through the website and also with The Spoke, I just want to add another method of communication.
    And anybody and everybody can view mikado, but you have to be a member to post.

roverjoyce wrote: »
    No, i'm not making wild promises. I have a few key issues
    If you feel that way about your sabats, go to them and get involved. do it yourself if it seems noone else will.
    Here here
    If they ain't doing a good job then don't just sit back and complain, get involved and try to improve it!

Advertisement