Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Boot With Static IP.

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

If you need/want to use a static IP & you have a dual boot system running XP Pro & Vista Ultimate, Do you need to set independent static IP's for each OS or will the same static IP do both systems?

Theory being that only one of the systems will be active at any one time, so the same static IP will be OK?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's right, the one IP will do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

If you need/want to use a static IP & you have a dual boot system running XP Pro & Vista Ultimate, Do you need to set independent static IP's for each OS or will the same static IP do both systems?

Theory being that only one of the systems will be active at any one time, so the same static IP will be OK?

-

The same Ip should eb fine as only one OS will be active at any time.

Also, I thought IP addresses were tied to the MAC address of the network card in the machine and not the actually machine itself. Therefore one network card = one MAC address = one IP, reagardless of operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah if you're only using one OS at a time then that should be fine. You will however have to set up that static IP address seperately on each OS.

If you're not sure how to do this let me know...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Also, I thought IP addresses were tied to the MAC address of the network card in the machine and not the actually machine itself. Therefore one network card = one MAC address = one IP, reagardless of operating system.

IP addresses are completely independant of any aspect of the machine or OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

seamus wrote: »
    That's right, the one IP will do fine.

Cheers, I thought so but wasn't fully sure.

Hmm, Well, I have the IP's set on the individual OS's using the same NIC but with two different static IP's & all is working fine.
    Achilles wrote: »
    Yeah if you're only using one OS at a time then that should be fine. You will however have to set up that static IP address separately on each OS.

-

If you're not sure how to do this let me know...

Yep, I have it done but thanks for the offer of help Achilles.
    I was more curious as to the Pros & Conn's of using two of the same or two different, if there is any?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was more curious as to the Pros & Conn's of using two of the same or two different, if there is any?
    That depends mainly on external factors. If you've any authentication/routing/restrictions set on any other machines or routers on the network, then having two IPs means that you have to maintain everything twice.

On the other hand, if you have two OSes but access is restricted to one (e.g. only you're permitted to use the Vista machine but the rest of your family uses the XP machine) then having separate IPs means that you can have separate restrictions on the router or on any servers.

Because it's a dual boot, the IP shouldn't be an issue because as you say, only one machine is active at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

seamus wrote: »
    That depends mainly on external factors. If you've any authentication/routing/restrictions set on any other machines or routers on the network, then having two IPs means that you have to maintain everything twice.

On the other hand, if you have two OSes but access is restricted to one (e.g. only you're permitted to use the Vista machine but the rest of your family uses the XP machine) then having separate IPs means that you can have separate restrictions on the router or on any servers.

Because it's a dual boot, the IP shouldn't be an issue because as you say, only one machine is active at a time.

So you're saying that while it might be a little more labour intensive, it is more versatile in so far as you have more control options?

I suppose that the fact both OS's will never be operational at the same time makes it all a bit hypothetical really? but I still like the idea of teasing it out among those members more knowledgeable then myself.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Power goes on power goes off.
    Simple.:rolleyes::D

Advertisement