Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting motivation

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

I know I won't be able to get a quick fix to this, but what do you guys do on a Saturday when you just can't be bothered going up a mountain?

I am not putting enough effort in and am still weak going uphill. I know all I can do to change that is to get out there, but me being crap is putting me off!

Any advice? I know once I get the fitness up I'll enjoy it more and then be motivated.........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Make a motivational songlist to listen to, always does the trick for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Htfu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

are you cycling alone?? best motivation is to cycle with at least one other person. it will increase your average speed as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Maybe try to get fit more gradually? Having to climb a mountain can feel... well, like you've got a mountain to climb!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I was never the best climber ... but I just follow the bunch, take my time, ... and usually after I bitch about not putting enough effort into it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Having riding partners helps a lot. Even if you aren't riding with them every time, you've still got the motivation there to go out on train on your own to make sure you aren't the one holding everyone up. If you've got no one to ride with, join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Thanks all. Usually go out with one or two others. Wary of using headphones while biking. Awareness etc.
    Also have had a few big offs across rocks and into water, so don't fancy risking the ipod!

May just suck it up and put in the effort into fitness on flat land for a while. Then back to the forest tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Just some thoughts

Don't try to hit the hills until you've been in the saddle for ~45 mins, build up a nice natural happy from the endorphins?

Don't get put off if you find yourself spinning the lowest gear you have - I know I did the first few times I tried the roads over Sally Gap. I'd much rather spin in a low gear than grind my joints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

join a club.
    surround yourself with other cyclists
    watch the paris-nice + other televised races
    roll up to some of the open races every sunday to watch, check cyclingireland for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

No road racing for me thanks. MTB all the way! I love the downhill I just can't get back up the far side! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Mountainbiking eh? Come along to this and they'll make a man of you :)

http://www.madmtb.com/wordpress/bbpress/topic.php?id=159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Morgan wrote: »
    Mountainbiking eh? Come along to this and they'll make a man of you :)

http://www.madmtb.com/wordpress/bbpress/topic.php?id=159

Just out if interest why do they have these rules......

Atire :- Lycra only no baggys
    Banned:- Camelbaks and peaks on mtb helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That's Martins private joke - don't worry about it...

Advertisement