Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Inter Match Thread

• 11-03-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

While I expect Liverpool to go through, there's a part of me that thinks theres a fairy decent chance of Inter turning them over.

I think the game will go along the lines of Inter being very aggressive, Liverpool trying to hit Inter on the break. It's probably that Torres or Gerrard or even Babel will be able to get a goal, but i'm just not as sure.
    While I'd predict a Liverpool victory, I think there's a fairy reasonable chance of Inter going 2-0, and taking it to extra time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

PHB wrote: »
    part of me that thinks theres a fairy decent chance of Inter turning them over. .

Perish the thought PHB!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Inter to win 1-0, Pool to progress

Steven Gerrard is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra-Hyypia--Aurelio
    Masch--Lucas
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

Is my guess, its worked well so far and with the Inter defence a bit patched up Gerrard, Torres and Babel should have enough about them for an away goal - just make it an early one lads. Inter will then have to score 4 as 3 won't even get them extra time. Mayhem will follow and a 1-3/2-4 type scoreline (1-5/2-6 agg) will result. :)

Or 0-0, either way I don't care.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

inter to win 4-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not gonna guess a result as I have no idea how it will turn out. What I do know is that Liverpool have won their last five scoring 15 goals and conceding 3 so hopefully they can take this form into the game at the San Siro.

Inter will be on the attack but I think Liverpool will try and surprise them by starting off the game at a high tempo and trying to nick a goal. If Liverpool score its pretty much game over as we haven't conceded four goals at all this season...or last season even (I think).

I dont think people should underestimate Inter though. We made them look very ordinary at Anfield but they are a great team.

One thing that has surprised me though is their star player Ibrahimovic. He has scored 20 goals in all comps but 8 have been from penos...! Thats only 12 goals from open play, two more than Benayon. Hardly prolific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Liverpool to win 2-1, leaving Dunphy, once again, scratching his head as to how it could happen. I think we'll win tonight, scoring an early goal, which will completely knock the stuffing out of Inter. If that happened they could well give up. If anyone gets turned over tonight, i think it will be Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

smemon wrote: »
    inter to win 4-1

Could ya imagine! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Inter to score first leaving Liverpool fans sweating. Liverpool defend deep but hit back on the counter with a lightning break from Babel who sets up Torres. Inter get a second to win 2-1 on the night but Liverpool go through.

thats what I think will happen.

What I hope though is a Inter 2-0 win in normal time, and win a penalty shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KevIRL wrote: »
    What I hope though is a Inter 2-0 win in normal time, and win a penalty shootout.

Carlsberg don't do Tuesday evenings....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Trilla wrote: »
    Carlsberg don't do Tuesday evenings....

lol exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tusky wrote: »
    One thing that has surprised me though is their star player Ibrahimovic. He has scored 20 goals in all comps but 8 have been from penos...! Thats only 12 goals from open play, two more than Benayon. Hardly prolific.

If penos don't count then neither do goals against Havant & Waterlooville!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I think the game is perfect for Pool, i.e. defend and not have to create anything. I continue to have major doubts about this Inter Milan team and it is going to take a massive effort, even at home for them to turn Pool over in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Think Liverpool will go at Inter for the first while...Inter will then hold out and come at us.. Think it will be a draw 0-0 or 1-1....think Torres will score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

0-1 liverpool. counter attack goal to kill off the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mada999 wrote: »
    Think Liverpool will go at Inter for the first while...Inter will then hold out and come at us.. Think it will be a draw 0-0 or 1-1....think Torres will score!

So you think Torres will score, but it might be 0-0??????

:pac:. . . . . o .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I don't think Inter have any chance of progressing in 90 mins tonight, but a 2-0 win is conceivable.
    If they do take it to extra time that would be a magnificent effort, but I can't see them containing Torres/Gerrard with all those defenders out...if they manage it I'd expect Inter to progress a.e.t.

Prediction: 2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I continue to have major doubts about this Inter Milan team
    Hi Eamonn.

Inter 27 64
    Roma 27 58
    Juve 27 51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on who scores first and when. If Inter score early it'll be a long night. If Pool score first and early, it's over.

If no one scores early, I'd expect a nil-nil. or one-nil inter.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DesF wrote: »
    Hi Eamonn.

Inter 27 64
    Roma 27 58
    Juve 27 51

5 years ago, the prospect of paying the top Italian team would have had be ****ting myself.. The fact that no on here is convinced that Inter Milan can turn over the 4th placed Liverpool in the San Siro pretty much sums up the state of Italian football at the moment..

I think Liverpool will go through but the occassion of playing in the San Siro for the first time could cause a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's set up in an interesting way. If Liverpool score it's arriverderci Inter. I think Inter have enough in them to score however. Whether they will remains to be seen. My head says Liverpool will progress but my heart says Inter will just manage it.

After the complacency shown by Liverpool fans last week who were already charting their route to the final, I really hope Inter leave them with egg on their faces. If I may paraphrase one of their legends, I will love it if Inter beat them! Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I reckon Inter will win on the night. having Materazzi sent off created space for Pool when it looked like Inter were just about to get into the game. It will be a completely different game in the San Siro i'd imagine. They probably wont win by the necessary margin though, they aren't prolific enough as mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Liverpool 2-1 Inter

Along with Eamon Big Mouth Dunphy proclaiming this time that Ireland are better than Liverpool...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Inter by nature play a quite defensive game. I dont think having to go out and score will suit them, and on the other side of things, Liverpool this season have had trouble getting the first, but once they do, and teams are forced to come at them, they regularly go on to score 3 or 4, as evidenced again last week. Everything at the moment suits Liverpool, though I think if Inter got an early one, they'd actually settle back into their normal style, not go gung-ho and hope to get one in their usual grinding fashion. This scenario i fear the most, as I think it could very well work for Inter, bringing us to extra time. It all depends on that early goal though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I reckon Inter will win on the night. having Materazzi sent off created space for Pool when it looked like Inter were just about to get into the game. It will be a completely different game in the San Siro i'd imagine. They probably wont win by the necessary margin though, they aren't prolific enough as mentioned.

On no occasion did Inter look like getting into that game.
    The sending off changed the game, but Inter were never in it.

1-1 Tonight, Liverpool to score early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Weirdly enough, I personally thought that Liverpool were having considerably more trouble breaking Inter down after the sending off. Up to that point, Inter were actually trying to create and leaving some space behind. Once they got the man sent off, they pretty much sat in front of the box intending to go home with a scoreless draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

5 years ago, the prospect of paying the top Italian team would have had be ****ting myself.. The fact that no on here is convinced that Inter Milan can turn over the 4th placed Liverpool in the San Siro pretty much sums up the state of Italian football at the moment..

I wouldn't agree there. Until 3 weeks ago Inter were arguably the best team in Europe. They've lost their unbeaten record since then but would merit being in the same bracket as Arsenal Manchester United and Chelsea. They've hit a little wobble since then but are more than capable of beating us by 3 goals. Obviously with a two goal headstart I expect us to qualify but I'm only 60%-40% confident. If Stevie hadn't gotten that late goal I'd say Inter would be favourites.

IMHO (and I confess I haven't seen as much Serie A these past two years as I used to), the Italian league is of a higher quality than the Prem, "Big 4" aside. Although they haven't won UEFA cups to backup my argument, I think the mid-table Italian teams are far superior to the English equivalents and I'd much rather watch two mid0table Italian teams than two mid-table English teams. Despite what E. Dunphy thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Depends if Inter score first early on or not.

I can see it being 11 men behind the ball stuff from Liverpool and come away with a 0-0 or 1-0 defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I'll just be interested to see how Liverpool hold up going into the second leg of a champ league knockout round as favourites. Lets face it. While they are good at getting in finals they tend to scrape their way there as oppose to sweeping teams aside. I reckon (not being bad to Liverpool) they will bottle it big time. I won't venture a score but I really feel Inter never got going at anfield and were taken apart at 10 men and the pool may walk into this one a little too cocky and that will be their downfall. They prefer the tag of underdogs. Just ask Barnsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh how this reminds me of 2005 and last season.

Beating Juve 2-1 at home in the 1st leg Liverpool were going to Turin for a hiding going to get stuffed and had no chance. Liverpool went with a makeshift back 4 and yet still had the best chance to score in the whole game.

Then last season V Barca and Chelsea After beating Barca 2-1 in Camp Nou Liverpool were going to get tanked at Anfield and be but out, fair enought Barca won that leg 1-0 and Liverpool went through on Away goals after hitting the post and crossbar.

Been 1-0 down against Chelsea at the Semi Final Chelsea were going to close up shop and go on to Final but we all know what happened.

If this was United Arsenal or Chelsea dont think anybody would be predicting them to lose it just seems everyone bar Liverpool fans are jealious of Liverpools success in recent years in Europe

• Advertisement

I think the most important player for Liverpool tonight will be Mascherano. When he is on form he is so hard to play against...and he is usually on form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-7q8sbiYxs v Arsenal last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIXq3quFt5s 06/07 compilation

Getting excited now. Finding it hard to concentrate at work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote: »
    While I expect Liverpool to go through, there's a part of me that thinks theres a fairy decent chance of Inter turning them over.

I think the game will go along the lines of Inter being very aggressive, Liverpool trying to hit Inter on the break. It's probably that Torres or Gerrard or even Babel will be able to get a goal, but i'm just not as sure.
    While I'd predict a Liverpool victory, I think there's a fairy reasonable chance of Inter going 2-0, and taking it to extra time.
    I think it will resemble Arsenal vs Juventus two years ago, when Arsenal went to Italy with a 2-0 lead.

0-0 FT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Beating Juve 2-1 at home in the 1st leg Liverpool were going to Turin for a hiding going to get stuffed and had no chance. Liverpool went with a makeshift back 4 and yet still had the best chance to score in the whole game.

Then last season V Barca and Chelsea After beating Barca 2-1 in Camp Nou Liverpool were going to get tanked at Anfield and be but out, fair enought Barca won that leg 1-0 and Liverpool went through on Away goals after hitting the post and crossbar.

Been 1-0 down against Chelsea at the Semi Final Chelsea were going to close up shop and go on to Final but we all know what happened.

If this was United Arsenal or Chelsea dont think anybody would be predicting them to lose it just seems everyone bar Liverpool fans are jealious of Liverpools success in recent years in Europe

I notice you left out what happened in 2006 when Liverpool went out at the hands of the mighty giants Benfica. ;)

It amazes me how fans like yourself can be so arrogant about tonight's match viewing it as a formality. Only half-time in the tie mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

2-0 is such a helathy lead, and Liverpool excel at stopping other teams play, especially in Europe. As long as they keep their concentration, they should be through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I really do love how Liverpool fans ALWAYS have to refer to hitting the post and crossbar when they played Barca at Anfield. What about Ronaldinho hitting the post at anfield? Or deco hitting the crossbar with a free kick towards the end of the game at the Nou Camp. Ye deserved to go through, but it grinds my gears that those two points up are always mentioned.

I think the most important player for Liverpool tonight will be Mascherano. When he is on form he is so hard to play against...and he is usually on form.

Agreed 100%, he normally delivers on European nights.

Tight game, Liverpool to go through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Liverpool to win 1-0, Torres or Gerrard, 40-1 and 60-1 respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I predict a Dunphy rant. Which is the most important thing :)

Hope for a pool win, and not some mediocre goaless draw. I reckon 2-0 the pool.

Actually I reckon Torres has two in him. So maybe a third from Gerrard or Babel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I predict been bored to f*cking death for 90 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

shane86 wrote: »
    I predict a Dunphy rant.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Me too.

I notice you left out what happened in 2006 when Liverpool went out at the hands of the mighty giants Benfica. ;)

Thats the only tie that Benitez has lost over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A lively scoreless draw.

• Advertisement

Thats the only tie that Benitez has lost over two legs, the rest we won on peno's

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Winning the Champions League Final is just as sweet on penos. :D

FYP.

err no, not quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

brilliant :D

I was just thinking the same thing myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It amazes me how fans like yourself can be so arrogant about tonight's match viewing it as a formality. Only half-time in the tie mate.

Only as arrogant as other teams fans you have to go into every game thinking your going to win. I was not confident going into the Benfica game in 2006 as at that stage of the season Liverpool were really really playing bad.

Yep same mighty Benfica that put the mighty Manchester United out at the Group stage

And i am not saying Liverpool are 100% through right now. Anything can happen tonight but you have to say its 70-30 in Liverpools favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Inter always score at home. ALWAYS! so i think if they get a goal and maybe another one they could go into ET etc, i dunno. i don't support Inter but think they will win. They will be more cautious of torres tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Inter always score at home. ALWAYS! so i think if they get a goal and maybe another one they could go into ET etc, i dunno. i don't support Inter but think they will win. They will be more cautious of torres tonight.

But Torres didnt score the last night?
    Its Kuyt they should be afraid of. Running around aimlessly, clapping himself, giving the thumbs up but never threatening, thats the way to score goals! :D

Its Kuyt they should be afraid of. Running around aimlessly, clapping himself, giving the thumbs up but never threatening, thats the way to score goals! :D
    lolz

Hardest working man in English football but never does a tap.

clap clap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well you are wrong

people predicted Man Utd and Arsenal to go out last week so stop being so paranoid ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

it was Torres who was too quick and they kept fouling him and got a player sent off early. it was indeed Pennant who changed the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement