Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Inter Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not a great performance but I don't really care. We're through! Great play by Aurelio and what a goal by Torres. 26 for the season now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, classy goal by Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Comfortable win there for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great result by liverpool, torres goal great, and oh look mancini quits!(at end of season)

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3285744,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

brilliant :D

I was just thinking the same thing myself!!

No doubt you would prefer your club to go out to Italy to play an inferior team and play extremely exciting, flowing football yet loose 2 nil and really do your chances of progressing to the next round some major damage? Oh ****, that is exactly what happened last week with Everton minus the exciting flowing football. I think the performance was described as a disaster by one pundit with the "only positive thing being that they have not conceeded a goal" being used at half time..

Quite an enteraining match tonight too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To whoever posted the odds for a 0 - 1 scoreline with Torres scoring, cheers!! I owe you a pink :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

no it wasn't.

chances wasted by Milan and little offered by Liverpool. Torres' goal was the only thing he did all night, wasted posession any time he got the ball.

also an "entertaining game" lasts 90 minutes; I think the only people watching after 60 minutes were Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

If only Liverpool could play 11 against 10 every week how many premier leagues would they have won. Inter were very harshly done by in both games. If one or two of Inter's chances had gone in things would have been very different.

I cannot understand why know-it-all dunphy thinks Italian football is on the brink. Before Liverpool won the CL in 2005 (having seen Milan capitulate after 30 minutes of scintillating football), the previous English winner was in 1999. Didnt hear anyone in the rte studios bemoaning the demise of english football during that time. In the last 15 years how many english winners of CL?

Just have to hope Barca can redeem real football and win again in 2008.

Mes che un club!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Comfortable win there for Liverpool

Let's let Liverpool play 11 against 10 every week and maybe then they'll win the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

Ray 'Hindsight' Houghton
    :D

Exactly what i was thinking listening to all his commentry. He's so frustrating

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    no it wasn't.

chances wasted by Milan and little offered by Liverpool. Torres' goal was the only thing he did all night, wasted posession any time he got the ball.

also an "entertaining game" lasts 90 minutes; I think the only people watching after 60 minutes were Liverpool fans.

I'd have to agree. I thought we were awful with the ball but pretty good without it. If it was any other team I probably wouldn't have watched the whole game.

Dont agree with the Torres comment though. He was pretty isolated and did ok with the ball. Almost scored in the first half as well.
    Ray 'Hindsight' Houghton

BRILLIANT! I love it. I hate his commentary. Try and count the amount of times he says 'What he should have done there' in a game. Bloody annoying. Of course when Ray was playing he never made a mistake.

Let's let Liverpool play 11 against 10 every week and maybe then they'll win the Premiership.

:rolleyes:

Inter never looked good even with 11 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If only Liverpool could play 11 against 10 every week how many premier leagues would they have won. Inter were very harshly done by in both games. If one or two of Inter's chances had gone in things would have been very different.

and if liverpool had scored from all their shots on target against barnsley (20+) they would have hit double figures :) thats football, liverpool had as many chances as inter tonight, torres and kuyt had great chances in the first half to score.

if the ref had spotted vieira's clear handball in the first leg it would have been even worse for inter

inter were truly awful over the two legs and liverpool never needed to get out of second gear tonite.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    and if liverpool had scored from all their shots on target against barnsley (20+) they would have hit double figures :) thats football, liverpool had as many chances as inter tonight, torres and kuyt had great chances in the first half to score.

if the ref had spotted vieira's clear handball in the first leg it would have been even worse for inter

inter were truly awful over the two legs and liverpool never needed to get out of second gear tonite.

Liverpool did't score in either game until Inter were down to ten men. Their passing was utter ****e and their best chances came from Inter players slipping on the turf rather than any creativity on their part. Will be found out very soon. Liverpool don't have a third gear.

Having said that Torres finished very well. Along with Gerard (inconsistently it has to be said), he's Liverpool's only quality player.

Is there a slight possibility you may be anti premiership and don't have the maturity to give credit where credit is due?

Having said that Torres finished very well. Along with Gerard (inconsistently it has to be said), he's Liverpool's only quality player.

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres.

Gerrard inconsistent ? 36 starts, 19 goals, 15 assists.

I'm not saying we have the best team in the league. I'm not even saying we played well tonight but your comments are ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The sending off tonight IMO was fair, two bad tackles, first one on Kuyt was just stupid and the second was pure reckless on Lucas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Liverpool to win 1-0, Torres or Gerrard, 40-1 and 60-1 respectively.
    GO ON YA GOOD THING!!!! :D:D:D:cool:

To whoever posted the odds for a 0 - 1 scoreline with Torres scoring, cheers!! I owe you a pink :)
    That would be me! ;)

DesF wrote: »
    edit....wtf, boards was down, so my post made no sense
    Des speaks nonsense 100% of the time! :p

Ray 'Hindsight' Houghton
    :D Haha. I'm always saying that about Houghton. If a player shoots and misses he should've passed it and if he passes and the other player misses he should've taken a shot himself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Torres goal was a fantastic finish,
    They have a real gem of a player there

The red card was a joke .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    The red card was a joke .

In fairness it was 2 yellows. MAybe he could have not booked him for the 2nd but it was worth a yellow. It was late and a bit furthe up his leg could have injured him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness it was 2 yellows. MAybe he could have not booked him for the 2nd but it was worth a yellow. It was late and a bit furthe up his leg could have injured him.

Lucas' leg was just as high though. it was chest height. he should have really gotten a card for it as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lucas' leg was just as high though. it was chest height. he should have really gotten a card for it as well.

I thought the same but he got to the ball a bit earlier.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Is there a slight possibility you may be anti premiership and don't have the maturity to give credit where credit is due?

No.

I just have a healthy distain for the overhyped premiership and the fawning pundits who feed the whole sorry circus.

Eamon Dunphy reckons italian football is dead and buried although he admits he doesn't watch it. he wasn't saying english football was dead in 2003 when there were two italian clubs in the CL final nor in 2000 when Real played Valencia. Let's face it Liverpool were outplayed in the first half in 2005 and took advantage of Milan complacency. Man Utd were utterly played off the park in 1999 only to fluke two late goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol someone's in for a rough ride around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Havent read thru the thread but just home from the pub delighted to get thru and a good day on the bookie, cheltenham and pool.

Poor game but another quarter final. Liverpool wont be be afraid of anyone but will also respect any team they play next in CL.

Torres makes it look easy.

Would like finnan back, carragher in middle, hyppia sory but you were brill but your day is gone, Kuyt you try your dammenst god love you but just not good enough.

Heres hoping for more european glory nights and to cement a 4th place.

P.s. rafa Leave Torres and gerard in for every game left, they understand each other please thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, that was a boring game.
    Rafa got the tactics spot on, but only because Inter got their tactics so utterly wrong.
    I mean, come on, you are chasing the game, try commit some people forward. That said, I guess if Ibrahimovic had the ability to put away a chance or two that came his way the tactics would have worked.

Extremely professional performance from Liverpool, breezed through that.

I can't believe Crespo sat on his arse for 90 minutes. Surely if you're chasing the game you bring on a natural goalscorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yep Crespo being left out altogether confused the **** out of me, very professional performance from liverpool, i was impressed with how disciplined they were to be fair. they played the cushion perfectly and inter just didnt do enough to win it. well done lads (christ that hurt)

BBC Match Report:

"Inter, who had Nicolas Burdisso sent off for a foul on Lucas Leiva after 50 minutes, wasted several chances."

"...Reina was outstanding..."

"The challenge looked innocuous and Inter were understandably enraged when Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo produced a red card that was harsh in the extreme."

"It was a stroke of luck for Liverpool and ill-fortune for Inter, who saw Marco Materazzi sent off in debatable fashion in the first leg at Anfield."

And your point?

Liverpool didn't play well (apart from Reina apparently)? At all? Over two legs?

• Advertisement

I thought with your usename you might prefer football as it should be played.

My point is that Liverpool were handed the tie on a silver platter and wonder how they would fare against any team if they had 10 men for 2/3 of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

My point is that Liverpool were handed the tie on a silver platter and wonder how they would fare against any team if they had 10 men for 2/3 of the game.

You're going nowhere with these posts.Liverpool won, Italian/European teams aren't as good as they were,English teams are now better than most.
    They have been dominating the CL for the last three years and may do so for another while to come.

Get over it.

Like the vast majority of football fans, I appreciate teams that deserve to win games. Are you telling me Inter did despite not scoring a goal in 180 minutes?

Out of curiosity, who do you support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Inter were P1SS POOR last night. In fairness they did well to hold Liverpool for as long as they did at Anfield playing with 10 for a long time, but last night they didnt have a clue. Liverpool lads prob didnt even bother having a shower after the match as they barely broke a sweat :D

In fact they were so bad I think someone should start a thread "I cant believe he's a Serie A footballer"

On a side note, didnt Wenger do well selling Paddy Vieira ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Liverpool were awful, but Inter were worse. Vieira looks like a complete shadow of the player that he used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Liverpool were awful, but Inter were worse. Vieira looks like a complete shadow of the player that he used to be.

Thats a bit harsh to say Liverpool were awful. They did exactly what they needed to do to win the tie. Why go out and break a sweat if you don't need to. They plyed it tight at the back and caught them on the break for the killer goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Highlight was the Torres goal, the rest was poor. Liverpool need to work on their passing and Inter were doing crazy stuff at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Lucas played the ball - there was no player there when he raised his foot yer man didnt arrive until about 5 minutes later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Can't believe anyone here is complaining about the red card. It was for a second yellow ffs. Lucas touched the ball away and Burdiisso caught him. Simple as.. I did think the ref was pretty quick with the cards e.g Aurielo getting one cause Chivu ran straight into him..
    If he had been letting them go all evening then i wouldn't have a problem with letting Burdisso off with a warning but he was consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

No doubt you would prefer your club to go out to Italy to play an inferior team and play extremely exciting, flowing football yet loose 2 nil and really do your chances of progressing to the next round some major damage? Oh ****, that is exactly what happened last week with Everton minus the exciting flowing football. I think the performance was described as a disaster by one pundit with the "only positive thing being that they have not conceeded a goal" being used at half time..

Very off the point post there jesus_thats_gre. I made a comment that the Inter vs Liverpool wasn't going to be all that exciting and I think I was right. It wasn't a great game. Liverpool produced absolutely nothing except a great goal for Liverpool's 'get out of jail card', Fernando Torres.

The Inter sending off changed the game completely again.

With regards to the Everton game, I wouldn't peg Fiorentina as an 'inferior team'.. Quite the opposite in fact. A good team riding high in Serie A (no matter what dunphy says about the league). They were better than Everton on the night. We can beat them at home tonight though.... tut, tut on the thread spoiling jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kuyt was sadly back to his old self last night, Pennant should have been on at half-time. Lucas was pretty damned useless so thank God for Masch - we missed Alonso. Anyway while I was dissapointed we beat 10 men again (cue Lucky Liverpool jibes) Inter were crap with 11 playing - some shocking attempts at goal and comedy defending.

Mike.

dobsdave wrote: »
    You're going nowhere with these posts.Liverpool won, Italian/European teams aren't as good as they were,English teams are now better than most.
    They have been dominating the CL for the last three years and may do so for another while to come.

Get over it.

Champions 2007: AC Milan
    Champions 2006: Barcelona
    Champions 2005: Liverpool (great comeback granted but AC trhew it away)
    Champions 2004: Porto
    Champions 2003: AC Milan
    Champions 2002: R. Madrid
    Champions 1999: Man Utd
    Champions 1984: Liverpool

Yeah, real domination by english clubs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool finalist and winner 2005
    Arsenal finalist 2006
    Liverpool finalist 2007
    EPL club finalist 2008 (almost certainty)

Looks pretty dominant to me that will be the story for the next 7-10 years, mark my words.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool finalist and winner 2005
    Arsenal finalist 2006
    Liverpool finalist 2007
    EPL club finalist 2008 (almost certainty)

Looks pretty dominant to me that will be the story for the next 7-10 years, mark my words.

Mike.

Do you get a cup for being a finalist?
    the only english whom i think would be palatable as winners from a footballing point of view would be arsenal. Man Utd struggled against a mediocre Lyon team despite having the greatest player the world has ever seen and the second greatest player in the universe. This is something they have done so for the last decade.

Forza Barca! Mes che un club!

Champions 2007: AC Milan
    Champions 2006: Barcelona
    Champions 2005: Liverpool (great comeback granted but AC trhew it away)
    Champions 2004: Porto
    Champions 2003: AC Milan
    Champions 2002: R. Madrid
    Champions 1999: Man Utd
    Champions 1984: Liverpool

Yeah, real domination by english clubs there.

Why did you go back six years when I clearly said 'last three years'

2007: AC Milan. three semi finalists, one finalist. Oh and Man Utd 7-1 Roma.(Ow that hurts:D)
    2006: Barca (Great result granted, 1-0 down against a 10 man Arsenal team with ten minutes to go.)
    2005 Liverpool (Thats better:).Two english semi finalists and a very fortunate AC Milan team that got past PSV in the semi.

In my opion (and many others on here It looks like) that shows english teams have dominated)
    Who do you support by the way?

Edit, Aah just saw you support Barca, that explains alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Forza Barca! Mes che un club!

Ehh, isn't it "més que un club"/"mas que un club" !?
    I don't think "che" is a word in spanish/catalan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Officially the best performing country for the last 3 years is:

Spain, although England are catching up.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

patmac wrote: »

Ah, good aul Bert, can't be beaten for the stats.

patmac wrote: »

Each countrys Co efficient is calculated over the previous five years as far as I recall.
    So 2008 'score' would take results from 2003 onwards.
    hence R Madrid and Barcelona putting Spain on top for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This thread is as I was expected. "You can only beat what is put infront of you".

Inter were flat and sloppy. I don't mind. LET US RUN GOOD IN THE DRAW AND GET SHALKE OR FERNABACHE PLZKTHX.

Advertisement