Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Inter Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Forza Barca! Mes che un club!
    tibor wrote: »
    Ehh, isn't it "més que un club"/"mas que un club" !?
    I don't think "che" is a word in spanish/catalan...

Yep, it's "més que un club". Also "forza" is an Italian word, "força" is Catalan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You just can't find good support these days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

dobsdave wrote: »
    Each countrys Co efficient is calculated over the previous five years as far as I recall.
    So 2008 'score' would take results from 2003 onwards.
    hence R Madrid and Barcelona putting Spain on top for now.

That particular one is for the last 3 years.

I haven't time to read all the thread(work eh) so apologies if said before, I have to say Ibrahimovic was absolutely dreadful could have laid on 2 open goals and his and Inter's free kicks were abysmal, good result for Pool and nice finish by Torres, think I might back Spain for Euro 2008 on that form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That includes the uefa Cup aswell doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Very off the point post there jesus_thats_gre. I made a comment that the Inter vs Liverpool wasn't going to be all that exciting and I think I was right. It wasn't a great game. Liverpool produced absolutely nothing except a great goal for Liverpool's 'get out of jail card', Fernando Torres.

The Inter sending off changed the game completely again.

With regards to the Everton game, I wouldn't peg Fiorentina as an 'inferior team'.. Quite the opposite in fact. A good team riding high in Serie A (no matter what dunphy says about the league). They were better than Everton on the night. We can beat them at home tonight though.... tut, tut on the thread spoiling jesus...

So do you expect strikers not to score?

Of course he is going to be leading the goal charts for Liverpool he is the only striker playing in a striking role

• Advertisement

dobsdave wrote: »
    Each countrys Co efficient is calculated over the previous five years as far as I recall.
    So 2008 'score' would take results from 2003 onwards.
    hence R Madrid and Barcelona putting Spain on top for now.

Thats why i dont want Everton to get 4th no harm to them but last time they were put out right away, and when the met a top team in this season Uefa cup they were beat easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Unearthly wrote:
    That includes the uefa Cup aswell doesn't it?
    Yes, UEFA Cup included. There's bonus points awarded to clubs as well for reaching certain stages in the competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would imagine now that Everton have enough seeding points to get an easy 3rd round draw? Would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Glad to see Mancini step down. He's won the scudetto twice by default and has shown that he has practically zero tactical nous. Inter are not a fantastic team by championship standards, let alone the standards set by Milan and Juventus in the last decade. Even this season they have been aided in their league challenge by Milan's aging crisis, Juventus being managed by Ranieri and Roma just being terrible as usual.

I'm surprised his card-waving antics every time an Inter player fell over weren't laid into by Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Very off the point post there jesus_thats_gre. I made a comment that the Inter vs Liverpool wasn't going to be all that exciting and I think I was right. It wasn't a great game. Liverpool produced absolutely nothing except a great goal for Liverpool's 'get out of jail card', Fernando Torres.

Why sorry Third_Echelon. If it was someone that I do no know so well, I would not automatically assume that you were having a sly dig at your beloved Liverpool football team. Being a devout Everton support, such a thing is obviously beyond you.

It seems we have two get out of jail cards now. Happy days.
    With regards to the Everton game, I wouldn't peg Fiorentina as an 'inferior team'.. Quite the opposite in fact. A good team riding high in Serie A (no matter what dunphy says about the league).

They were better than Everton on the night. We can beat them at home tonight though

I think you have misunderstood me - I hope you have anyway as saying Fiorentina are not inferior to Inter would be somewhat off the mark. Fiorentina are a considerably inferior team to Inter Milan. I know you have been obsessed with being in the 'big 4' all season, but the naievity shown by your club in Europe in recent years show conclusively that ye are still a significant distance off the 'big 4'. Everton should have been able to beat them but unfortunately went to Italy and bottled it.
    .... tut, tut on the thread spoiling jesus...

For anyone in doubt as to the ability of this poster to be a troll, need a I say anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

So do you expect strikers not to score?

Of course he is going to be leading the goal charts for Liverpool he is the only striker playing in a striking role

What is your point here? I was talking about the overall team performance. They didn't do much to attack Inter apart from the Torres goal. That is all I was saying...
    Thats why i dont want Everton to get 4th no harm to them but last time they were put out right away, and when the met a top team in this season Uefa cup they were beat easily

We were very unlucky not to beat Villarreal. We had a goal disallowed (which was a goal) that would have put us through to the group stages... Villarreal went on to the semi-final that year, so they were a very good side. We had a tough game against Fiorentina last week, but they are a decent side as well at home. Away they are a different prospect as with any Italian side. We can beat them at home tonight..

What divine right do Liverpool have to the 4th spot? Everton or any other time for that matter have the right to challenge for a Champions League spot. Its up to them to then perform and take part. You only get better by taking part. If they do qualify for the champions league, they will without doubt get beaten against the top sides in Europe, but on the night we can scrap with the best of them. Its the only way to improve...
    PHB wrote: »
    I would imagine now that Everton have enough seeding points to get an easy 3rd round draw? Would that be right?

Yes, indeed. Everton have accumulated 19.7435 points this season in the co-efficient UEFA team ranking.

To compare... Chelsea 21.7435, Man Utd 23.7435, Liverpool 20.7435, Arsenal 21.7435. Spurs 15.7435

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html

By this table, Everton are the 8th best team in Europe this seaon:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/tcoef2008.html

Fair enough, some of the teams we played were from mickey mouse leagues, but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

I think you have misunderstood me - I hope you have anyway as saying Fiorentina are not inferior to Inter would be somewhat off the mark. Fiorentina are a considerably inferior team to Inter Milan.

Oh really? Here comes the big fact stick:

UEFA Team Coefficients 2007/2008

Cup Matches Points Team Coef
    14 Fiorentina Ita UC 9 14 17.0935
    15 AC Milan Ita CL 8 14 17.0935
    Internazionale Ita CL 8 14 17.0935

In the Italian League, Inter are ahead ok. But Inter seem to be crumbling at the moment.
    I know you have been obsessed with being in the 'big 4' all season, but the naievity shown by your club in Europe in recent years show conclusively that ye are still a significant distance off the 'big 4'. Everton should have been able to beat them but unfortunately went to Italy and bottled it.

I haven't been obsessed as you describe at all. Just glad to be pushing the top teams. Being ahead of Liverpool is great for any Everton fan, but I'm not one to gloat about it.

We just didn't perform on the night... Surely this has happened to Liverpool before as well if I'm not mistaken, say the first half of this season's champions league group stage with very poor performances against Porto (draw), Marseille (loss) and Besiktas (loss), which by your reckoning are inferior teams to Liverpool. It happens to the best of us it seems...
    For anyone in doubt as to the ability of this poster to be a troll, need a I say anymore.

The oul facts getting in the way again? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

What is your point here? I was talking about the overall team performance. They didn't do much to attack Inter apart from the Torres goal. That is all I was saying...

We were very unlucky not to beat Villarreal. We had a goal disallowed (which was a goal) that would have put us through to the group stages... Villarreal went on to the semi-final that year, so they were a very good side. We had a tough game against Fiorentina last week, but they are a decent side as well at home. Away they are a different prospect as with any Italian side. We can beat them at home tonight..

What divine right do Liverpool have to the 4th spot? Everton or any other time for that matter have the right to challenge for a Champions League spot. Its up to them to then perform and take part. You only get better by taking part. If they do qualify for the champions league, they will without doubt get beaten against the top sides in Europe, but on the night we can scrap with the best of them. Its the only way to improve...

Yes, indeed. Everton have accumulated 19.7435 points this season in the co-efficient UEFA team ranking.

To compare... Chelsea 21.7435, Man Utd 23.7435, Liverpool 20.7435, Arsenal 21.7435. Spurs 15.7435

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html

By this table, Everton are the 8th best team in Europe this seaon:

Fair enough, some of the teams we played were from mickey mouse leagues, but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

Old Bert's stats (which are the official UEFA one's by the way) are quite confusing designed specifically to keep the top 3 countries on top so all teams in all countries get starting points each year in England's case it is 4.735 this year which is the highest and why Newcastle are the 14th best team in Europe just ahead of Valencia and Roma, Bolton are 49th with Millwall and Southampton joined 94th. I'm surprised Keegan hasn't pointed this out yet, it's only a matter of time really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Regarding Vieira.

There was always the debate as to who was better Keane or Vieira. Well Keane was still the best midfielder on the planet in his early 30's....Vieira ain't even on the radar!

I

Mes che un club!

Barca diehard I see. I'm only a Barca admirer and I know that quote is wrong.

Liverpool have no right been there, but i would want a team who can qualify for the group stage to be there.

Oh really? Here comes the big fact stick:

UEFA Team Coefficients 2007/2008

Cup Matches Points Team Coef
    14 Fiorentina Ita UC 9 14 17.0935
    15 AC Milan Ita CL 8 14 17.0935
    Internazionale Ita CL 8 14 17.0935

In the Italian League, Inter are ahead ok. But Inter seem to be crumbling at the moment.

Oh now you have to be taking the complete piss? Are you actully using this to back up your claim that Fiorentina are a better team than both AC and Inter Milan?

I think I may have blown a funny fuse..

About these stats, is there any weighting for the CL to reflect the fact that it is considerably more competitive than the UEFA Cup?
    I haven't been obsessed as you describe at all. Just glad to be pushing the top teams. Being ahead of Liverpool is great for any Everton fan, but I'm not one to gloat about it.

Of course you aren't...
    We just didn't perform on the night... Surely this has happened to Liverpool before as well if I'm not mistaken, say the first half of this season's champions league group stage with very poor performances against Porto (draw), Marseille (loss) and Besiktas (loss), which by your reckoning are inferior teams to Liverpool. It happens to the best of us it seems...

Liverpool are more than capable of messing up aright.. Saying that however, we still do what is needed when it counts in recent seasons. Take the reverse fixtures of those games you highlighted and you will notice that we turned them around quite drmatically.

I genuinely hope that Everton do turn over Fiorentina. I also think that should be capable of doing so.
    The oul facts getting in the way again? :p

Shame you presented the facts after my initial reply :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I genuinely hope that Everton do turn over Fiorentina.

WTF?!?!?!:eek:

Mr Alan wrote: »

It's a response from a genuine football supporter Mr Alan.... They do exist...

You should take some lessons from jesus_thats_gre ;)

Why wouldn't I?

To be honest, I generally always hope that the PL clubs advance as far as possible in Europe. I would have absolutely no problem with United winning the CL either - once we don't end up facing them that is.

From a purely selfish point of view, if Everton get knocked out, they have a far greater chance of getting 4th place if we end up progressing in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OT but how come none of the Irish stations are showing a match tonight? I would have thought after showing the first leg of the Spurs game that at least the 2nd leg would be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poor thing, his world has been rocked. Red tinted glasses almost fell off.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Poor thing, his world has been rocked. Red tinted glasses almost fell off.

:D:D:D:D

Stekelly wrote: »
    OT but how come none of the Irish stations are showing a match tonight? I would have thought after showing the first leg of the Spurs game that at least the 2nd leg would be on.

I think TV3 are showing highlights tonight at 10pm

It's a response from a genuine football supporter Mr Alan

My humblest apologies.

i was under the impression that football was something of a tribal sport. I wasnt aware in this PC world gone mad that we now hope our biggest rivals win matches?!?!?!

WTF! proper my arse.

If thats wat it means to be a "genuine football supporter", well i am glad i am a "genuine Liverpool supporter" instead.

Seriously, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

crikey, you'd swear you were born outside Anfield...

i was born in the centre circle at anfield Mr Flowers.

I was born into he 78 European cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I wasnt aware in this PC world gone mad that we now hope our biggest rivals win matches?!?!?!

In truth I was half hoping Man U would win against Lyon if it meant them facing Liverpool.

Although after last night I would fear even Man Us two mediocre performances v Lyon would be adaquate to take out the Pool the way they played last night. Havent been as bored watching a match in yonks. Even Torres was average. Gerrard was doing nothing. Ditto Babel. Skrtel seems tl be trying to get noticed alright, and Reina made a nice save or two, but all in all poor stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Inter are poor. I don't care what you say, in the real world they are poor. Leaders of Serie A. So what? That league has been in decline for five years and is at least ten behind the top in Europe. They are on the downside of the cycle. We must stop referring to their clubs as "giants" and stop overestimating their prowess. Serie A is third or fourth rate in Europe now - about parity with France I would say. Give a few more years for the remaining superstars to age and retire and no-one will be talking about them. Seriously, Inter are not great. I also expect Everton to win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

shane86 wrote: »
    In truth I was half hoping Man U would win against Lyon if it meant them facing Liverpool.

Although after last night I would fear even Man Us two mediocre performances v Lyon would be adaquate to take out the Pool the way they played last night. Havent been as bored watching a match in yonks. Even Torres was average. Gerrard was doing nothing. Ditto Babel. Skrtel seems tl be trying to get noticed alright, and Reina made a nice save or two, but all in all poor stuff.

You're not wrong. Football also in the UK is not good - although successful. Technique has gone the way of flair - out the door to be replaced by power and athleticism. And before you point out the exceptions, I mean generally, not specifically, there are of course exceptions.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I was born into he 78 European cup.

jammy bastard! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Forza Barca! Mes che un club!

Please dont say that... Forza is Italian, its Força Barça. And its also Mes que un club. Just out of curiousity, do you know what thats even about?

Edit- Damn you Citeog, got there first. I should have read on before posting... :p:p
    2nd Edit- Damnit Nunu too.

Sick burn lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

tibor wrote: »
    Ehh, isn't it "més que un club"/"mas que un club" !?
    I don't think "che" is a word in spanish/catalan...

Yes, you're dead right. well spotted. I was running out.

In Catala': mes que un club
    In Italian: piu' che un club

Mi sono confuso con l'Italiano!

:D

Nunu wrote: »
    Regarding Vieira.

Barca diehard I see. I'm only a Barca admirer and I know that quote is wrong.

Sorry sometimes when one speaks more than one language one can easily mix up things.

I support la Vecchia Signora in Italy and Barca in Catalunya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sorry sometimes when one speaks more than one language one can easily mix up things.

I support la Vecchia Signora in Italy and Barca in Catalunya.

Go you

eZe^ wrote: »
    Please dont say that... Forza is Italian, its Força Barça. And its also Mes que un club. Just out of curiousity, do you know what thats even about?

Edit- Damn you Citeog, got there first. I should have read on before posting... :p:p
    2nd Edit- Damnit Nunu too.

Of course i know what Mes que un Club is all about. I mixed up my Catalan and Italian while rushing. Let me know if you want italian lessons. Mamma mia sei un po' pignolo! My Catalan is not near as good as my italian though. Ciao!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Of course i know what Mes que un Club is all about. I mixed up my Catalan and Italian while rushing. Let me know if you want italian lessons. Mamma mia sei un po' pignolo! My Catalan is not near as good as my italian though. Ciao!

Tranquilo. Un trol es lo mismo en cada idioma, sei es deutsch, castellano, català o inglés!;)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Inter are poor. I don't care what you say, in the real world they are poor. Leaders of Serie A. So what? That league has been in decline for five years and is at least ten behind the top in Europe. They are on the downside of the cycle. We must stop referring to their clubs as "giants" and stop overestimating their prowess. Serie A is third or fourth rate in Europe now - about parity with France I would say. Give a few more years for the remaining superstars to age and retire and no-one will be talking about them. Seriously, Inter are not great. I also expect Everton to win tonight.

Sorry? Serie A in decline for the last five years? On a par with French league? Well, you were wrong about Everton tonight maybe you're wrong about the rest of your absurd observations.

• Advertisement

Sorry? Serie A in decline for the last five years? On a par with French league? Well, you were wrong about Everton tonight maybe you're wrong about the rest of your absurd observations.

Everton did win tonight. 2-0 if I'm not mistaken.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Everton did win tonight. 2-0 if I'm not mistaken.

technically, yes Everton did win during the 90 minutes but cool and calculated Fiorentina penos and a great save from Frey.

Fiorentinas young italian striker looks like hot **** too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Please tell me noone is trying to base the strength of a nations league on one penalty shootout..?

I really think its hard to argue that the Italian league hasn't diminished from its former glory in recent years relative to the English league.

Even just looking at the top teams, taking them as ambassadors for the league. The best Italian team of all time historically, Juve, was decimated after the dodgey dealings and they're only in a state of rebuilding now. AC are quite clearly in a state of transition with only a few players in their prime and only one or two of these being top notch The rest are either promising starlets or getting on in years. Roma we saw fail to challenge Man U over the past 2 years. Very decent team alright, with a few very classy players, but they're just short of being very good. That leaves Inter. Quite functional team, consistent and great in the league but consistently fail on the big stage. People can say what they like bout the 10 man thing, they offered little at any point over 180minutes.

Im not sure thats its as bleak as pundits were saying, but something does need to be done to re-energise that league. Maybe if it became less 'ultra' orientated and became a more attractive option for the regular joe, or even families they might recapture the crowds. It just always such a hostile match going experience. At the top level, I couldn't see Milan Juve or Inter ever really dropping down a level for too long, they all have too much money and are still very attractive clubs for players to come to.

technically, yes Everton did win during the 90 minutes but cool and calculated Fiorentina penos and a great save from Frey.

How do you "technically" win 2-0? They won 2-0 , no technically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There is no technically about it. They won, you are wrong, face it.

There is no two languages thing or anything of that ilk to blame now bud.

There is no technically about it. They won, you are wrong, face it.

There is no two languages thing or anything of that ilk to blame now bud.

Allright bud! Who won the tie and went through, bud? Storey bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ahh the usual Liverpool match thread tailoff :)

I can't remember the stats, but I think of the last 5 years semin finalists in the CL, 7 hail from England, 6 from Italy, 4 from Spain, and one each France, Holland and Portugal, with AC Milan being the most consistent performer in those 5 years (2 wins, 1 runner up etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nice of you to bring the tie into it now that you have been found out for talking carp once again. The bookies paid out on an everton win, I know, I had them and spurs in a double.

Nice of you to bring the tie into it now that you have been found out for talking carp once again. The bookies paid out on an everton win, I know, I had them and spurs in a double.

Please quote who you are responding to otherwise confusion could arrise.

Is it me you're looking for?

Couple of quid down the drain then Nostradamus? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement