Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux or Windows?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

What can ubuntu do that windows xp can't do?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

conceited wrote: »
    I think the question is fundamentally flawed. I use Ubuntu pretty much exclusively. I could probably do anything I need to do on XP, but Ubuntu just simply works better for me.

Security: for a firewall, I have iptables. It's built into the kernel, so it's lightweight and, for most purposes, invisible. I don't need an antivirus.

Performance: Ubuntu feels lighter and more responsive. When I ran XP I was resigned to the fact that my PC would need a reboot every few days to keep it responsive. This PC has been up 31 days now (rebooted a month ago to install a new kernel), and feels as responsive as it did when I first booted it.

Availability of software: pretty much everything I need is available in the Ubuntu repositories. If I need something that isn't installed, I "apt-get install" it, and a few seconds later it's ready to use. Security updates are available from the same source as they are released: the same channel is used to distribute patches for third-party software as for the core OS.

Ease of use: when I got a Vodafone 3G usb thingy, it required the installation of a large and bloated piece of software to get it to work on Windows. On Linux, I just plugged it in, and it configured it. To be fair, the first time I did this I had to configure a dialup connection over it, but that was a 2-minute job.

I occasionally have to use Windows, such as when I borrow someone else's computer to do stuff. It takes me several times longer to do the simplest things - not because I'm unfamiliar with Windows (I've been using it since Windows 2.0), but because the stuff I do on a day-to-day basis is just easier on Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Work consistently?
    Save you money?
    Save you headaches?

Unless you're a gamer (and even if you are you can work around it) there's no reason why you would use Windows XP

No need for a life story it is a simple enough question.

Simple questions don't always lead to simple answers. I apologise if a detailed answer was offensive to you in some way. Hopefully blacknight's response was more to your taste.

In future when you're asking a question, make sure you include specifications for your desired response, including maximum word count. If you're feeling particularly helpful, you could always just provide the answer you were looking for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

No need for a life story it is a simple enough question.
    So what's the answer then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Im curious, for genuine reasons, can any form of Linux work with Windows Mobile 6 type phones for synchronization etc?

Hey All
    I have been using Linux Mint 4.0 now for a few months and I must say its really top notch stuff. I actually want to make a donation!

Did you make the donation?
    why on earth are we all paying for windows when Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint are free.

Because windows is a good operating system.
    And I personally feel that in the case of Linux Mint it performs BETTER than windows. AND ITS FREE!

In what respect?
    When I first made the transition I thought Linux was going to be difficult to work with ans use. boy was I wrong.

It's after getting alot more user friendly. Still has along way to go but it's doing great.
    Easier to install.
    No it's not.
    all the codec's etc are installed by default, (Ideal for a home PC or Laptop)
    Anyone can install a codec.
    while the Linux Terminal is far more powerful than CMD could ever be.
    Ever hear of powershell or dos?

The whole lot just works out of the box!
    And it's free amazing.
    Its fantastic and has really made me want to never use windows again.
    Not sure why you hate windows but enjoy unbuntu it is nice.

Just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

blacknight wrote: »
    Unless you're a gamer (and even if you are you can work around it) there's no reason why you would use Windows XP

I'm a gamer and the only windows I have is in a VMware session for work. UT2K4 (native), WoW and the entire HL series work perfectly in Wine.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm a gamer and the only windows I have is in a VMware session for work. UT2K4 (native), WoW and the entire HL series work perfectly in Wine.

Whats the performance loss running Wine versus 'direct'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Because windows is a good operating system.

Hey, this isn't the Humour forum...

Chaz wrote: »
    Whats the performance loss running Wine versus 'direct'?

None that I can tell. Playing Wow atm with 80+ framerate. And HL2 plays fine.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Was tempted to reply but couldn't quite capture the words - you did :D

None that I can tell. Playing Wow atm with 80+ framerate. And HL2 plays fine.

So if I was playing a game that did not have Linux bins, is WINE the preferred route?

You've two options - Wine or Cedega. Cedega is a subscription model but it's a fork of Wine. Some people say it's better maintained but I've found no problems with Wine.

Obviously native is the preferred route - and some developers are heading that way. UT3 was supposed to have a native Linux client - but some legal issues are preventing it. Codeweavers are porting LOTRO and iirc Eve Online has a linux client now.

But in the absence of a native client Wine does the job. However, some games just won't work - maybe ever. These are DX10 games like Crysis. But overall the movement is in the right direction.

[edit]As proof of concept for WoW and Steam see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55917270&postcount=8 :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did you make the donation?
    Did you ?
    Oh wait, you must have or you're looking at six months / €127,000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've been using Dos since 2.11and they keep changing the syntax. Try writing a batch file that will copy multiple files and store them in a folder with todays date as the name. %DATE% changed between 2000 and XP, Xcopy is different in dos mode and windows mode and different again in NT. The "richness" of the built in commands is kinda poor compared to the VMS prompts I was using before. Yes you can do stuff with windows scripting , but not much use since you have to turn it off every so often because it's a security risk and bugger all use at a recovery console.

And yes I do prefer the command line to the GUI, expecially for stuff like DHCP because I can never seem to find the button that says "copy these settings to the other DHCP server" NETSH + txt file is easier

and while I'm ranting about text files - microsoft are now using unicode for some apps settings. BUT notepad can't edit a unicode text file without putting in another character or two at the top of the file that other microsoft apps choke on, unless you remove them with EDIT or similar ( yes EDIT in Dos 5 was a huge improvement over edlin but way late, when I was using DOS 2.11 I was also using another command line that allowed journal files with editors, you could recover any docuent and undo all the changes in exactly the same way word does only some of them.

The "richness" of the built in commands is kinda poor compared to the VMS prompts I was using before.

I currently admin some VMS servers. There is nothing to compare to the power of DCL :)

FruitLover
    Macros42
    Kid you you've no idea. http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/roll_your_own/
    Come back to me when your done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Using 'kid' or similar in a post is a cheap argumentative tactic. It's one step below personal insults, the last refuge of the incompetent debater.

Also, how many operating systems have you written? Can we have some example code? Otherwise waffling about rolling one's own is kind of redundant (not that it necessarily would have anything to do with the topic of discussion either way).

MS-DOS hasn't been around since Windows 98, and there's no way you could possibly compare it to the likes of bash. Powershell looks interesting, but it's very new and unproven. If you can cite any examples of how it holds up to modern Linux/UNIX shells, I'd be all ears (or is it eyes on a web forum?).

I'm half ways through my first.
    Anyway what code would you like, my memory management or my a20 line code?
    I'm writting mine for 3 years now but as you said it doesn't matter right?

I fail to see why everything is so one sided is it cool to not like windows?
    Unix isn't modern it's old and crusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

No it's not.
    I really think you should go back and test this out.

Recently I did, going for a dual boot with Ubuntu 7.10 and XP (hey I'm a gamer - it's a curse).

Ubuntu install:
    Boot to CD. Handily placed on the desktop is an 'Install' icon. Run it.

Usual localisation and profile stuff (location, logon name etc.). Partition the disk - it's a slider, not exactly difficult. Let it run and browse the web while doing so. Reboot.

Once install was done I was prompted about restricted drivers. Once they were in, all of my hardware worked completely out of the box, no extra drivers etc. needed.

XP install:
    Boot to CD. Usual localisation and profile stuff.

Once installed I then get to the fun bit. By default, no drivers for most of my hardware. Fine, root out CD's and browse the web to get them.

Discovered my external USB Audigy drivers will install fine, but all sound comes out as if it was slowed to 1/10 of the speed it should be. Trawled the web to find the issue (after installing Firewall and AV - mustn't forget those), discovered absolutely nothing. Ended up having to flash the firmware to an older version which for some uncomprehandable reason solved it.

Discovered then that my graphics card is no longer supported under Windows. Yep...the nVidia drivers won't recognise my 3 year old 6800 go Ultra, despite claiming to be for all geForce series cards. Played around with the ini in the drivers to try and force it. Works, but card overheats under load and shuts down machine. Nice. Pull out driver, trawl the web and eventually manage to find a 3 year old driver for it, that's thankfully stable too.

Total reboots 8.

FruitLover
    Macros42

I should have copped it before. rasmasyean and conceited are one and the same. I'm reporting the latest post to get an admin to confirm that. Welcome to siteban territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

I should have copped it before. rasmasyean and conceited are one and the same. I'm reporting the latest post to get an admin to confirm that. Welcome to siteban territory.

And Macros42 and Narrow_minded_ubuntu_lover must be one in the same too! You must be waaayyy out there to think that there’s only one person in the world who likes Windows and try to make such a BOLD guess. Rofl! Have fun ignoring reality!
    “Uh…I’m Macros42! And anyone who disagrees with me is a TROLL!”

Macros42
    What are you on about boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I suspect that also, uncanny how both signed up in may 2008...........and both answered above within minutes of each other.

rasmasyean has only posted in this thread only, conceited mostly in this forum, one post in another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I suspect that also, uncanny how both signed up in may 2008...........and both answered above within minutes of each other.

rasmasyean has only posted in this thread only, conceited mostly in this forum, one post in another forum.
    I thought it was rasmasyean still replying until I glanced at the profile name again :D

Guys in all fairness cop yourselves on now like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

PogMoThoin wrote: »

ROFL! You should become a detective. You know that there is a "Subscribe" to thread where it sends you posts, right?

Just because you can't take it that not everyone loves linux...

As a matter of fact, I could have poked many holes in other "open source app / linux greatness" claims I saw in my inbox but I chose not to because someone would just come up with some lame excuse about it so I figured I wasn't goign to waste my breath and repeat myself. Like I am doing now...

Advertisement