Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Books

Options
  • 11-03-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

My mother grew up in Dublin's North Inner City but unfortunately she has no photos from her childhood so I'd really like to buy her a book with images from the area that she grew up in. Years ago my grandmother had a book packed full of images of Dublin but sadly she'd no longer with us and I dont know the name of this book. I've been searching for something similar for the last 2 or 3 years now. Can anyone please recommend a similar type of book?

I've recently read in another forum about a book called "All Around The Diamond" which is based in Summerhill but for some bizarre reason I cannot post to the forum to ask the name of the author/publisher and I'm having no joy with Google. Does anyone know anything at all about this book?

I'd really appreciate your help with this :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

I flicked through a book in Waterstones in Jervis St at the weekend that was a photo log of Dublins geographical history. The name escapes but it was packed with some amazing old photos of the inner city and surrounding area. The resources used in it may help.
    The national library is also an option for getting copies of old prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Hodges Figgis have a section on the ground floor near the cash registers that has loads of books about Dublin, if I remember correctly. Might be something of use there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DayDreamer

Thanks for your help guys. I should have mentioned that I'm now living in the UK so its proving a little more difficult to get my hands on such books ....the search continues ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ah, you should update your location in your profile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

You could try Kevin C Kearns' books or The Heart of Dublin by Peter Pearson. There's also Dublin - An Urban History by Niall McCullough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

I'm not from Dublin myself.. but maybe someone in the photography forum here might be able to help you!????

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

DayDreamer wrote: »
    I've recently read in another forum about a book called "All Around The Diamond" which is based in Summerhill but for some bizarre reason I cannot post to the forum to ask the name of the author/publisher and I'm having no joy with Google. Does anyone know anything at all about this book?

I'd really appreciate your help with this :o

One of the authors is Ben Savage and I forget the name of the other just now. The two writers produced a couple or more such books set in the general Summerhill area. There's some great photos in them.

They were published by the Inner City Folklore Project (or a very similar name) that is/was based in the old fire station in Buckingham St.

I was born on Summerhill too. Lived in the Diamond and Lr Gardiner Street, went to Rutland St school....so your Mam might even know me. :D

Have a look at my blog -- think the address will be in my profile. I have a photo of the old tin chapel there.... the turf depot and one or two others your Mam might like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

'Father Brown's Dublin' is a great book. Not sure if it's still in print, but I'm sure you could put in for an inter-library loan in your local branch, and then copy some of it.

http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/?func=full-set-set&set_number=053940&set_entry=000001&format=999

He took photos from 1925-50, and some are just brilliant. A fantastic book. He has a few others including Galway, and a general Ireland one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Thanks for that info WB.

Another great book on the Nth Inner City is one called "Crinan Dublin" (A History of 13 North Inner City Streets) written and llustrated by Jimmy Wren.

It was written in 1993 (ISBN 1-898479-00-3) and has lots of very interesting photos as well as drawings by Jimmy Wren.

The 13 streets mentioned in the sub title are:

Amiens St.
    Buckingham St.
    Corporation St.
    Cumberland St.
    Foley St.
    Gardiner St.
    Marlborough St.
    Railway/Waterford St.
    Rutland St.
    Sean McDermott St.
    Summerhill.