Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in cheap accomodation

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

hi there girlies.
    seems i got into a spot of bother when i came home on sunday morning.

im a full time mature student. and am currently living with 3 18 year olds. i came home on sunday morning to what looked to be an all weekend party. there was about 20 people in my sitting room some where still drinking. the smell and the mess of teh place was utterly discusting. i was gagging when i went into the kitchen when ringing my boyfriend as didn't know who else to ring to deal with teh situation.

my boyfriend rang me back and i was so shocked with the state of the place i crying down the phone. turns out it is one guy in particular who is at fault. i took pics as proof of the state of place and said if place not cleaned up by the time i get home from work, the landlord would get the pics. brought my camera with me. came home that night to see place still not cleaned fully and i think my lock was messed with (someone looking for camera). rang landlord and told him everything. said he would be over next day he never turned up. guy who caused it barlely cleaned up and i had to do some of the cleaning and so did the other girl in house.

any idea's how to handle the situation and guys if any of ye read this i would love some manly advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

God, that's a horrible situation but you might get a better response in the Accomodation and property forum. People there will know more about your rights, tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

move out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

irishbird wrote: »
    move out

why should you move out. if only one guy caused the problem he should be told to leave by the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Call the 18yr old guys mother and tell her what a DARLING her son is. Say you have pics

aye wrote: »
    why should you move out. if only one guy caused the problem he should be told to leave by the landlord.

Never going to happen, the Landlord wont care as long as he is getting his rent. The less stressful and easier situation would be to just move out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Was any damage done to any of the furnishings of the house? Stains on sofa's, walls etc? If so you may have a case for him to leave if you show evidence to the landlord. Just be aware any damage done by this party not reported to the landlord could be deducted from your original deposit if you do decide to move out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

irishbird wrote: »
    Never going to happen, the Landlord wont care as long as he is getting his rent. The less stressful and easier situation would be to just move out

dunno bout that. if the guy is wrecking the place surely the landlord will care, he wants to keep his property in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

dunno bout that. if the guy is wrecking the place surely the landlord will care, he wants to keep his property in good condition.

He wouldnt rent to students if he was all that worried about his property staying in good condition.

I agree that you should move out. I've seen college friends go through an awful lot of hassle sharing with other students, it was never worth it and the landlord never seemed to care. If they've already tampered with your lock then how will you feel safe with any of your stuff around the house? Tell your landlord everything, give him a notice to quit, you should be refunded any deposit if you've a decent landlord.

The guy is renting to students, he couldnt give a crap about the property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

So far the only person here making sense is Irishbird.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »

woo hoo \0/ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Dragan wrote: »

:eek::eek: thanks! I agreed :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

For your own sanity and less hassle for yourself move out, you'll just upset and frustrate yourself trying to get any joy out of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Living with people who have different expectation as to how the flat should be kept was never going to turn out well. Move out and consider this a lesson well learned.

mollybird wrote: »
    i took pics as proof of the state of place and said if place not cleaned up by the time i get home from work, the landlord would get the pics. brought my camera with me. came home that night to see place still not cleaned fully and i think my lock was messed with (someone looking for camera).
    :eek:

I'd be more worried about this really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Only 18 year olds can live with 18 year olds. You are at a different stage in life. Seriously. You would be better off living with other mature students of a similar age.

Even I wouldnt live with my 18 year old self!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but if you live with 18 year olds, you have to expect that kind of crap. If you don't get it, consider yourself lucky.

At 18 I lived with two very nice people who regularly wrecked the place and nearly got us kicked out (formal notice in the end) a number of times. It drove me insane. I can understand where you're coming from, I could back then so I definitely can now, but it was par for the course at the time. When you find somewhere with cheap rent, be sure there's a reason. In your case, the cheap rent is as compensation for living with babies who're testing the water and having a whale of a time doing so.

Best of luck with things, however they go forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

To be honest, that sort of thing is to be expected when living with 18 year olds. If I were 18, just left school and home and had a party in my new gaf, I'd be pissed off if someone started nagging me about it. There's no way in hell I would live with 18 year old now though. give the kids and yourself a break and move in with older people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

That situation sounds awful but I have to agree with the view that if living with 18 year olds you have to expect behaviour of this kind..we were all 18 once - Ideally they should respect your position and wishes but in actual fact prob see you as a pain in the behind. I'd forget any temptation to be stubborn and move out asap. Hope the move goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

WindSock wrote: »
    To be honest, that sort of thing is to be expected when living with 18 year olds. If I were 18, just left school and home and had a party in my new gaf, I'd be pissed off if someone started nagging me about it. There's no way in hell I would live with 18 year old now though. give the kids and yourself a break and move in with older people.

Exactly. Let them have their fun (we were all annoying little sh1ts at that age, first year in college, it's their job to go mad) and find housemates that are more your type of people. Even for your sanity alone you're better off moving out. Best of luck whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

mollybird wrote: »
    rang landlord and told him everything. said he would be over next day he never turned up. guy who caused it barlely cleaned up and i had to do some of the cleaning and so did the other girl in house.
    The landlord's not going to give a crap you have pics, well he won't if he's like any of the landlords I had in college. As long as the house isn't been burnt down, gets complaints off neighbours/guards. Then he won't do anything, he's getting paid.

This is just typical of 18 yr olds first year in college, away from mommy and daddy for first time so want to go crazy not give a toss, yada yada. I'm surprised you ever moved in there in the 1st place. I'd say just move out, and move in with people more your age or other postgrads/3/4th yrs. There's normally notices in most college of people looking for others to move in with them, get a place together, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

thanks everyone for your advice. there is only one prob i can't afford anywhere more expensive. lived with people my own age last year and it killed me being doubley stone broke. any place at the price im paying im going to get this hassle. guards were called and next door neighbour even rang landlord to complain and he still did nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Well so you need to get some of the biggest people you know to turn up for an afternoon/evening. Make an impact as it were on your badly behaving housemates.

You never want to actually threaten someone as that's a very slippery slope but seeing that you have a few big friends should be enough to buy some respect. They only need to be concerned about the fallout of disrespecting or threatening you.

Anyway that's just my 2 euro cents

Advertisement