Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Legacy rsk b4

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

bought a legacy rsk b4 2.0ltr twin turbo yesterday :D . pickin it up from garage friday as shes not on irish plates yet.

wasnt gonna do anything to it, but heard one on youtube with a dump valve and it sounded nice. might buy one and decide after whether to fit it or not.

does it have to be a dump valve made for a legacy, or will one made for an impreza work, engines are similar enough supposedly.

** added a few flicks of it**

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nice car, love the legacy.

Blow off valves generally swap from one model to another so in your case it dont really matter, the only thing that matters is that when you fit it , you need to tune it to put out the right pressure.... as soon as this is done it will sound good and you will gain an extra hp or two due to the turbos being able to run with a touch more pressure.

will cost a penny or two

HKS universal dump valves are trading hands for 200 or so quid used so they would be a decent buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh the hks ones seem to be popular. the brother in law is a car mechanic and fits anything i need doin, so he should sort that out.

gonna have a look on ebay and the likes later for a genuine one, see what shes like.

yeh theyre a lovely car alright, was gonna go for a gsr turbo.. sooooooo glad i didnt.

indeed that was a good choice , mainly because its with , looks great with the gold wheels and blacktints , just dont add any stickers or stupid body mods and you have the best car in the Modified Cars section of boards.ie ;)

thats what i like about it, its totally stock as far as i know. the only thing i would even think of doin is the blow off valve and im still a bit weary of puttin it on. ill pick it up, wack it on and see what shes like.

it has lovely blue and black leather interior in front and back, think its stock, and matching door panels and momo steering wheel.

the other 2 b4's they had there only had half leather.

stickers and all that sh1te ruins a car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dont waste your money on a dump valve! theres plenty of things to be done before you go getting a dump valve. a re map is a must as the twin boxer turbo engine is very soft and will detonate on our petrol.

you'll have to use maxols e5 and use octane booster and this will only get you near 100ron the b4 is designed to run on 104ron.

what year is it??

a remap for a pre 01 one can cost €1200 - €1500 and after 01 its slightly easier so costs around €1000, a remap will stop it running lean, stop it knocking, will give you closer its factory power figures(it'll only be about 250bhp on our petrol) and give you piece of mind!

my cousin bought one there about 4 months ago, absolutely lovely cars so they are and 0 - 60 in 5.2 seconds :eek: but i cant stress enough how important it is to look after the engine and get a remap. my cousin blew his up after 5 weeks driving and has had an engine rebuild already

• Advertisement

ah i dunno, i have heard a lot of people say that a remap is a waste of money...

if i was to run it on maxol e5 and octane boost for a month or two and then get it re mapped, would the engine have already gotten used to running on our fuel, and so it would be a waste?

cuz i aint got 1200 to spend on a remap now!

its a 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

goood choice on the car....there comfortable and fast.
    ied do a bit more research on the bov though......i was advised not to fit one. due to the twin turbo there is a power gap between the first turbo finishing and the second spooling up this is called vod. if you fit a bov to a b4 it causes more lag in the vod.its usuall between 4000 and 4500 rpm.
    as for mapping ied say its pretty essential. do all your modifications first then get it mapped. untill then ied use octane boost and dont drive the **** out of it. engines do not adjust to our fuel without the ecu being changed or remapped so like any turbo car some care and attention will pay off. ied get a turbo timer if there isnt one fitted. also pop over to www.isdc.ie and you will find tons of info and ppl who know their stuff. have my b4 about a month now and ill never go back to a non turbo car......them boxers do sound sweet:D:D

i think your both right, i was talking to my brother in law and some guy he works with brought one over and he said its deffo worth gettin doen. any1 any actual prices or any sites in dublin that can remap them?

yeh, might knock the bov on the head.. not gonna modify it anymore, dont think it needs it.

so, is yours heavy on the juice north dublin?

any twin turbo car is heavy on juice but with carfull drivin shouldnt be a whole lot more than a normal 2 litre. but the first week ye get it will be your most exspensive......you cant not put your foot down......:rolleyes:
    here two site that do the mapping on the b4
    http://www.streetperformance.ie/index.aspx
    http://www.stituning.net/

im keepin mine fairly standard but i did get a cat back exhaust and plan to do the brakes and suspension. i think theres a mapping session in may so ill prob get her done then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

goood choice on the car....there comfortable and fast.
    ied do a bit more research on the bov though......i was advised not to fit one. due to the twin turbo there is a power gap between the first turbo finishing and the second spooling up this is called vod. if you fit a bov to a b4 it causes more lag in the vod.its usuall between 4000 and 4500 rpm.
    as for mapping ied say its pretty essential. do all your modifications first then get it mapped. untill then ied use octane boost and dont drive the **** out of it. engines do not adjust to our fuel without the ecu being changed or remapped so like any turbo car some care and attention will pay off. ied get a turbo timer if there isnt one fitted. also pop over to www.isdc.ie and you will find tons of info and ppl who know their stuff. have my b4 about a month now and ill never go back to a non turbo car......them boxers do sound sweet:D:D

you can get the dump valve just make sure it is a hks ssqv, that allows to run on twin turbos, cos it is a sequential valve, correct me if im wrong there

• Advertisement

All you need is a high octane fuel ( E5 by maxol right ? ) and a booster forthe feul ( a chemicalby the name of acidtane.... 1:100 mix ratio...)

The one True concern you should have is the legacy is its killer understeer... litterally , there known to be worse then civics are decent speed so good tyres and a Good suspention set-up is a must before you go breaking the sound barrier with a big exhaust and all the usual mods.

@ roaky , your spot on , its the same as in my mates twin turbo rx-7 it was in a supra previous and works like a charm. Good love universal parts.

cheers for all the advice folks, ill try get a quote for the remap today and take it from there.

might go the e95 and octane booster route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lovely car, one of my favorites, did it have to be modified to accept our fuel as it is slightly different to what the Japs use? I heard this is one of the only problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Mae sure to budget for an alarm before any mods if theres none in it already,there notorious cars for going missing and fairly easy to steal

think its one of the few jap cars that comes in with an alarm! :D

The maxol E5 and octane booster will only get your petrol rated as 98 - 100 ron though and the B4 Legacy requires 104 ron so it will still run lean, the ecu wont adapt to run on our petrol either.

defiantely dont push it too much until you get it remapped, as I said my cousin blew his within a few weeks of getting his, he done this by pushing it as hard as he could.

As has been said before they dont do turns to well so make sure you get used to it before you push it too hard anyway! and good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

draffodx wrote: »
    think its one of the few jap cars that comes in with an alarm! :D

The maxol E5 and octane booster will only get your petrol rated as 98 - 100 ron though and the B4 Legacy requires 104 ron so it will still run lean, the ecu wont adapt to run on our petrol either.

defiantely dont push it too much until you get it remapped, as I said my cousin blew his within a few weeks of getting his, he done this by pushing it as hard as he could.

As has been said before they dont do turns to well so make sure you get used to it before you push it too hard anyway! and good luck with it!

the e5 petrol from maxol is quoted at 99.2 ron, which means if you add a good octane booster that gives you three points you are up to 102.2 which is close enough

ah sweet, i thought the maxol was only 95.

Deffo gettin it remapped in the next few weeks..

dont think it has an alarm, cant remember from when i viewed it.. ill find out 2moro though :D

gonna run it on e5 and octane booster till i get it remapped.

any1 know where to pick the octane booster up and what brand is recommended etc?

cheers

roakey wrote: »
    the e5 petrol from maxol is quoted at 99.2 ron, which means if you add a good octane booster that gives you three points you are up to 102.2 which is close enough

octane booster wont give you three points of octane!! despite what is claimed the best octane booster will only add half a point to a point to the ron rating.

For all the information you could ever want join up to http://www.driver.ie and ask a guy called Dagnut about it, he runs his B4 RSK with octane booster

if your on the northside artane autos do lucas octane boost which i what im using......cant remember the cost but buy a few. ive to go up on saturday to get some so dont buy it all ;)

is that the one just down the road from the goblet? beside the chipper?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Hi all,

bought a legacy rsk b4 2.0ltr twin turbo yesterday :D . pickin it up from garage friday as shes not on irish plates yet.

wasnt gonna do anything to it, but heard one on youtube with a dump valve and it sounded nice. might buy one and decide after whether to fit it or not.

does it have to be a dump valve made for a legacy, or will one made for an impreza work, engines are similar enough supposedly.

** added a few flicks of it**

cheers.

Drool.........

Me want... me want a lot :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Newer B4s retard the timing and protect them and also have a mappable ecu.
    BUT:
    http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9412&pid=97307&mode=threaded&start=

Older ones arnt mappable and need remapping. you can run them with octane boost and e5 but.......

ECU:
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ccgrant/leggymodels.htm
    MAPPING:
    http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22

id say if your going to go to the trouble of re-mapping and you are near a maxol with e85. Go e85.

Also consider a knocklink.

But im paranoid and like an engine that wont eat itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

are there any maxol in dublin these days??

yeah on on the strand road in dubloin 4 and one in lowwer baggot street in dublin 4 , just n the bridge. Just off the top of my head...

thought of a few when i posted that one in artane and swords!!!

the nearest maxol to the op is the one down beside the elphin on the baldoyle road...was there last night gettin a fill up.
    this might be usefull
    http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-stations.html

savage, forgot about tha one..cheers

picket it up friday evening, what a motor. so much power.

then sunday a piston blew on it, after only 4 hours of moderate driving... :(

needless to say its goin back to garage to get fixed asap..

oh no!! did you push it at all??? sorry to hear mate...
    if you dont mind me askin how much didi you pay for it??
    how did it effect your insurence?

• Advertisement

i paid 9500 for it..

im 25 on a provisional waiting for my test date, with 2 years no claims on my own policy.

quinn charged me an extra 90 euro till my policy for my 1.6 civic was up, which is the end of may. not bad.

after that, if quinn dont wanna know i got a quote on the prov for 1800 fully comp with 1k excess from another insurer so ill go for that.

its a bit hard not to push it alright but after 4 hours of normal enough driving to blow a iston is ridiculous..

Advertisement