Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear Test

Options
  • 11-03-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering could someone recommend where to go in Dublin for a smear test?
    I'm new to the city...just looking for some advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

For ladies things I use the Suffolk Street clinic, funnily enough, on Suffolk Street. They are an all female practice and very nice and proffesional.

I also have a lady doctor in Dun Laoghaire who is excellent but that location might not be suitable for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jessicad

Or I went to the Irish Family Planning Clinic on Cathal Brugha St. last week - I hadn't been in 13 years so I was expecting a ticking off, but they were so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Me I just go to my regular GP. He's great. I work on the basis that he's a doctor, this is his job, and he just gets on with it. He doesn't make a big deal of it so I'm completly relaxed. The well woman clinics are of course an option too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lolly.o

Thanks.
    Is there a well woman clinic in Dublin?
    Whats the name of the clinic on Suffolk Street or is that what its called?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

www.wellwoman.ie - will give you their locations and contact details.

I also go to Suffolk Street Surgery, they're fantastic. Actually changed to them from WW. 01 6798181.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yup, it's called the suffolk street clinic/surgery.

www.goldenpages.ie to check your local well woman clinic.

EDIT: You beat me Maple, damn you! That's funny we have the same doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lolly.o

Thats great, thanks.
    I tried looking up the suffolk street website but it doesn't seem to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm seconding (or thirding) the well woman clinics - they have free coffee in the waiting rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

There are nice lady doctors in Harcourt Health Clinic on Harcourt St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Well Woman clinics are great and are so used to doing them that they will be very good at taking the smear. That said my GP (Blanchardstown Medical Centre at the Blanchardstown Centre) is great at doing them, very professional, lovely woman and can't recommend her enough. So if the location suits you she'd be a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I use the Leopardstown women's clinic. Its usually easy enough to get an appointment. They have 2 female doctors who are both really lovely and make you feel very comfortable. They have very fast turnaround on test results aswell. Around 3 weeks for a smear from what I can remember. I know some places take a lot longer than this, so you might want to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

I just go to my regular GP in the Grafton Medical Centre...couple of lovely lady doctors there.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

The doctors in the Well Woman Clinic Lower Liffey St (Hal'penny Bridge) are great. Quick and not at all traumatic :)

I go to them for Implanon changing and check-ups too. They also have early morning/late evening appointments on certain days, very handy to fit in around working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Ok freaky, i use suffolk st surgery too:eek::eek:.
    id highly recommend them for smears and general GP stuff. One of the docs gave me really good advice on preventing chest infections which I used to be really prone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

What do they test for at a smear?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

the "about your smear test" leaflet
    http://www.icsp.ie/publications/leaflets.470.html
    is very useful to answer questions about smear tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

Suffolk St surgery are brillant.I've been using them for the past 2 years and think Dr Eimear is the business.(01)6798181

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

Just thought I'd bump this to remind everyone who's overdue to make that call today, seeing as I just had mine this morning at the Well Woman Clinic Lower Liffey St (Hal'penny Bridge), so I'm particularly smug! ;)

Seriously, though - it was with a lovely french doctor and she was brill - I was in and out in about 5 minutes and the smear itself took about 10 seconds and was utterly painless! It was my first visit to this clinic, and I'll definitely go back.

If anyone has never been, or if you're looking for a new clinic, then I'd totally recommend them - just hop into them some day before or after work. I don't work for them or anything, I just think they are so friendly and efficient, and it's so important for us all to have regular smears. And there is the free coffee as someone else mentioned....:)

I know not everyone is in Dublin, but for your own sake, and for your family's - wherever you are, make that call today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I had a colposcopy & biopsy & was told there are changes :( Anyone else ever been in this position as the doctor started making noises about surgery & generally scared the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I havent Taconnol but im waiting on results on my 3rd smear in 2 years due to abnormal results.

Nurse was pretty certain that I would be going on for a colposcopy....was it sore? :(

Bets of luck, keep us posted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The coposcopy wasn't sore at all, in fact it was less painful than a smear. The bit that hurt was the biopsy (and even that didn't hurt too much), that they decided to do on the spot so my advice would be to take a few panadol beforehand, just incase they decide to do a biopsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 poolac

hi everyone, thanks for your positive messages, i need to change clinics as the one i used to go to on pembroke street is awkward to get to for me now and i was reluctant to change because i had such reassuring and pleasant visits with the doctors there.

i'm def going to go to the liffey st one now as it's a really handy location, i was putting off a check up because of it-so thanks everyone!

also, on my first smear last year i got an abnormal result which scared the life out of me but the nurse who i rang reassured me (as did girlfriends when i asked around) that it's not uncommon and to come back every 6 months until i get a few clear results in a row, same advice from my GP. my second smear came back normal, and the last one i was due which would put my mind to rest properly has been delayed mostly because i was nervous not only of another abnormal result but that i wouldn't find doctors as gentle again!

for any women nervous about their first smear-there's absolutely nothing to worry about, you feel nothing even uncomfortable, and it's over in a couple of seconds. and treat yourself to something nice after, cos y'know, why not?! ;)

Advertisement