Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Uluru - whats the big deal

• 11-03-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I live on the Dunmore Road and know Uluru very well. I just dont understand the hype about that place. It is a decent pub but it is talked about in Waterford as some sort of place all other pubs should aspire to. The staff are decent and it is a nice premises in a key location but there are lots of other negatives such as, a serious poor carvery with complusory over steamed veg and boring meats (roast beef every day!). Also the panninis are a disgrace compared to what the Cove had going for a while there.

Futhermore, you seriously cannot match a football (soccer) match there, i have bigger TVs at home and they cannot seem to understand that people might actually want to hear commentary when watching a game. If it was poncy rugby they would do their utmost to ensure that some amatuer game which no one cares about is on WITH VOLUME.

The night time bar food is okay but the menu hasn't changed for at least 4 years and is hardly unique.

Basically i dont get the big deal about the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

hate place rick whelan goin nutz to the riverdance says its all for me . Food is ****e .. Oscars better cavery never tryed the cove but will do

Agree dont get the hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I got a roast beef carvery out there a couple of weeks ago and it was really nice.

Never been out there in the evening time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Can't say I can see what all the fuss about is either.
    I live about three minutes walk away, but prefer going for a two mile ramble so I can enjoy my pints.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Been out there a hand full of times, I don't see the fuss either, nothing great about the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

i've never understood the hype

the lunch time menu is terrible with tiny portions

as for the night time i've never seen such a selection of posers in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

IMO this pub like 99% of pubs are reflections of the local area/people living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Never took a liking to the Uluru myself, always seems really full and most of the people i've met in there are very ignorant and dont seem to want to move out of your way (even if you're carrying drinks), crowding in front of the bar etc. etc. (suppose this happens a lot of places though).

The chinese above it is lovely though.

I'm more partial to Oskars beer garden for one during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

I have too say I think its a great pub, dont agree with the tiny portions of food they give alot more then some places in town.

Never had aproblem when watching matches anytime i couldnt hear it just asked the freindly staff to turn it up and they do.

And the owner is very friendly mixes with the customers.

the DJ well not my type of music but always have agood nite when out the back

The posers well there mostly everywhere you go

How many other pubs in town can you get
    A snug for watching the racing and matches
    A lounge for watching matches or just a quite drink and music now of a saturday and sunday
    the outback for chart music
    Food
    And a late bar with no cover charge
    last Friday I went into uluru had a bottle of bulmers 4.70 went into a pub on the corner of ballbricken and it was 5.10

Com'on whats the hype
    What pubs are ye all drinking in I'd like too know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 **newbie**

I live on the Dunmore Road and know Uluru very well. I just dont understand the hype about that place. It is a decent pub but it is talked about in Waterford as some sort of place all other pubs should aspire to. The staff are decent and it is a nice premises in a key location but there are lots of other negatives such as, a serious poor carvery with complusory over steamed veg and boring meats (roast beef every day!). Also the panninis are a disgrace compared to what the Cove had going for a while there.

Futhermore, you seriously cannot match a football (soccer) match there, i have bigger TVs at home and they cannot seem to understand that people might actually want to hear commentary when watching a game. If it was poncy rugby they would do their utmost to ensure that some amatuer game which no one cares about is on WITH VOLUME.

The night time bar food is okay but the menu hasn't changed for at least 4 years and is hardly unique.

Basically i dont get the big deal about the place.

A SOCCER FAN CALLING RUGBY PONCY!!! Well done you made me laugh!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

its good that the cove is up and running again though, gives an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

have to agree i once saw a grown man wearing a jumper over his shoulders with the sleeves tied around his neck ...poser
    and rick whealan gives me ire
    ya know his name is patrick ... but rick for short like... aaaaaaggghhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

SUNGOD wrote: »
    have to agree i once saw a grown man wearing a jumper over his shoulders with the sleeves tied around his neck ...poser
    and rick whealan gives me ire
    ya know his name is patrick ... but rick for short like... aaaaaaggghhh

and once i saw one of those guys you explained in the Euro 2 shop, you get those everywhere :rolleyes:

the place is better than most places.

emo!! wrote: »
    and once i saw one of those guys you explained in the Euro 2 shop, you get those everywhere :rolleyes:

the place is better than most places.

couldnt imagine one of those ularu posers in the 2 euro shop? what if one of their tag rugby team mates from IT saw them they would be absolutely morto like.........anyone who wears a jersey with the collars turned up ..who calls brian o driscoll.. drico and who calls heineken and carlsberb .. heiny and probs respectively is a tosser/poser and the ularu is full of them
    nice chinese up top though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the chineese above it is great but the uluru has gone down in my estimations over the years, it was a nice change when it opened but i cant say i would go out of my way to drink there or eat there now, bit stale really. the people i meet out there tend to be em, not my kind of people either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Cant stand those clowns in the snug or the "racing section" as I call it.

A lot of people go there because its handy, within walking distance. Dont have to fork out for taxis etc.

On the plus side, LOTS OF NURSES! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I much prefer the laid back atmosphere and the food in Oskars. Each to their own though and I can understand why people like the Uluru, it's just not my cup of tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

the uluru is very much like the "REG" was 15 years ago where u could
    1.get a beer and watch the sports on the box
    2. get a reasonably priced lunch with lots of parking
    3. get a decent bar meal in the evening
    4. enjoy a god atmosphere for a few pints in the night
    5. enjoy a late bar without having to pay a fortune on admission .

a lot of the "crowd" that might have frequented the reg years ago live out the dunmore road vicinity so its THE handy option ... that kind of catchment area doesnt exist any more in town so the likes of the three shippes and flash's which might offer something similar isnt as attractive any more ...

also the management and kitchen staff in the uluru have been around the block so they know the safe options in terms of menu..... havent been in there for a long time but i bet that if i walked in today the lunch menu would be
    roast beef, roast stuffed chicken, deep fried fish dish,and a pie or wet rice dish of some description........hot and cold desserts.... chicken & stuffing panninis etc etc ... like i said - the safe option
    the problem in waterford is that there arent a whole lot of alternatives to this set up that offer the whole package like the uluru does ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

Good responses all around, especially the last one - very good points.

Re the Rugby fan - Rugby is a poncy sport. A few years ago we wouldnt even have this argument because you probably didnt follow the sport.

You talk to any decent soccer fan and they will know teams, formations, the opposition etc and will generally watch more soccer in a season than any rugby "fan". Okay i admit that there are some true fans, but that is rare.

If Ireland had not done well in the last few years (excluding last 18 mths) there would be little to no interest. Same with Munster.

Its a joke. A sport with fans who have no passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 WHAeva

couldnt imagine one of those ularu posers in the 2 euro shop? what if one of their tag rugby team mates from IT saw them they would be absolutely morto like.........anyone who wears a jersey with the collars turned up ..who calls brian o driscoll.. drico and who calls heineken and carlsberb .. heiny and probs respectively is a tosser/poser and the ularu is full of them
    nice chinese up top though

Whats a Carlsberb? I wanna try it...sounds tastey...lol

• Advertisement

Re the Rugby fan - Rugby is a poncy sport. A few years ago we wouldnt even have this argument because you probably didnt follow the sport.

You talk to any decent soccer fan and they will know teams, formations, the opposition etc and will generally watch more soccer in a season than any rugby "fan". Okay i admit that there are some true fans, but that is rare.

If Ireland had not done well in the last few years (excluding last 18 mths) there would be little to no interest. Same with Munster.

Just read this about rugby...RUGBY IS PONCY?! Right man I wanna see get hit by a second row and see how poncy it feels...ffs

I myself have watched the game since I was a kid and do know a fair bit about the game and I am truely passionate about the game...unfortunately I grew up in an area that had no established rugby set-up so never got to play as a young lad and when I finally got to try it in my late teens my back just got screwed from it...yea its a real poncy sport alright...

I agree that some of the guys in Dublin and the private schools playing it are right toffs...but there are real genuine down to earth people who are passionate about the game...

So basically chill with your narrow-minded slur about the game...don't even understand why you are so threatened about..whats that about?:rolleyes::p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Rugby poncy? Don't let anyone hear you say that in Limerick!

The brother brough us to Uluru for lunch one weekend we were down in Waterford. Meh, its just another boring pub with terrible food. He says it's good craic at night tho.

WHAeva wrote: »
    Whats a Carlsberb? I wanna try it...sounds tastey...lol

dont tell me you never had a carlsberb

" carlsberb dont do spelling but...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

horsebokks wrote: »
    the uluru is very much like the "REG" was 15 years ago where u could
    1.get a beer and watch the sports on the box
    2. get a reasonably priced lunch with lots of parking
    3. get a decent bar meal in the evening
    4. enjoy a god atmosphere for a few pints in the night
    5. enjoy a late bar without having to pay a fortune on admission .

tell me more about this god atmosphere

dont tell me you never had a carlsberb

" carlsberb dont do spelling but...............

hehe, nice one:D

longshanks wrote: »

...I think you have to kneel down and bless yourself before you have a pint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

its divine !!!

the pulpit used to have a god atmosphere
    not to mention the holy cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

on the subject of this god atmosphere, years ago there was an early house pub on ballybricken that was nicknamed lourdes. because everyone went there for a cure. honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Yeah you sound like a guy that spends so much time around rugby fans I would definately take your word on it about rugby fans depth of knowledge compared to soccer fans. You said it.

Also your statement about interest being based on the results over the last 18 months? Isn't this what interest in anything is based on? Namely a successful team. Of course interest increased, what kind of idiot could fail to realise that the reason a sport exploded in popularity was because of the upturn in fortunes of the national team? It's called human nature. The same happpened with the Irish soccer team in Italia 90 and by the same token the reason the FAI have great difficulty filling out Croke Park (unlike rugby) is because poor recent results caused interest to drop. That trend will now reverse itself with the appointment of a new manager. And guess what? If he's sh1t. INTEREST WILL DROP, if he is good INTEREST WILL RISE! You see its very simple but I realise you're having trouble with that. Ponce.

EDIT: The Uluru is average.

Advertisement