Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Runflats v Conventional Tyred

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Anan1 wrote: »
    Exactly. And if the impact was enough to destroy the heavily-reinforced sidewall of a RFT then how do you think your alloy would have survived had you been on conventional tyres?;)

It wasn't destroyed on impact the integrety of the wall of the tyre was compromised as it was pinched between the rim and the pothole, so couldn't function 100% after the impact.

Runflats are not designed to survive impact to the wall, just to support the weight of the car should air leave the tyre through puncture. When the structure of the wall was damaged, it was no longer able to carry it the way it was designed to do.

If the rim was going to be wrote off by the impact only for the runflats, surely it would be at least buckled now? Well its not, not even the slightest shiver in the steering, the tracking on the car wasn't even knocked off line! So i dont think the rim would have been destroyed either way.

I will reiterate, runflats work well in one type of situation (i got a regular run of the mill puncture a few weeks before and they worked) but any car with them should also have a spare wheel, its not enough to just have runflats as they dont cover all or even most circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

pburns wrote: »
    Mark - you know your cars and do your research when changing but 19-inchers on run-flats!:eek::confused: What did you expect!?

I feel like I'm always having a go at you but to sacrifice such an elementry thing as ride comfort/handling* for looks - I just don't understand it.

*I say handling because unless you spend your time driving on billard-smooth surfaces I suspect the cars gonna be quite 'skittish' when making progress down a country road with undulations - the type of road you should be taking the long way home from work to relish with the 'ultimate driving machine'...

Nothing wrong with what you say, I just couldn't justify spending that much on a car for it to look 'wrong' with small wheels.

It's not a big deal, all my driving is in Dublin, I drive to Clare 2 or 3 times a year and that's it. The only time I encounter problems is around roadworks, the odd pothole etc the handling of the car is not an issue from my experience of pushing it on.

Advertisement