Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would i go about getting a 9mm pistol

Options
  • 11-03-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi, i am interested in getting a pistol (h&k usp) and i just wondering what are the legal standing and processes in getting one. i already have a rifle and shotgun so it will not be my first weapon.

i have heard that you have to have an interview with the chief supt explaining why you want one, and also that you need a secure alarmed safe in your house and a safe in your car.

any help would be much appreciated
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

1. Join a club that does the kind of pistol target shooting you want to do. They'll only issue a license for target shooting, so you'll have to do this anyway if you haven't already.
    2. Go talk to your local firearms officer, the same one you deal with for your other firearms. He/She should be able to tell you the precise requirements for your individual case. From what I have read in these forums, a monitored alarm and a decent safe at home would be factors in your favour in many districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Call me cynical, but the fact that you specifically want a 9mm USP combined with your username suggest to me that your motives for wanting one will fall short of what would be deemed "good reason".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

They are "Sporting Firearms" - not Weapons

As the guys said - Join a club - learn to shoot - then apply for a license.

If you get the license you can then buy one.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

civdef wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but the fact that you specifically want a 9mm USP combined with your username suggest to me that your motives for wanting one will fall short of what would be deemed "good reason".
    Could you explain this for me,
    I'm not an expert on handguns, so the relevence of his username and USP is lost on me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bagger = RDF person
    762 = 7.62 NATO
    USP = Standard pistol of the Army

Bit unfair to think that just because your in the reserves you shouldn't have a pistol. Plenty of Regualr and Reserve people want to train for Army competions in their own time and cannt do that with Army guns/ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rew wrote: »
    Bagger = RDF person
    Ah, that was the part lost on me. Knew was USP was, well I forget what I stands for, but familar with it through SOCOM type games when younger.

I still don't see why being in the RDF would mean motives for wanting one will fall short of what would be deemed "good reason". A friend on mine was in the RDF, and is now in the army. He regularly handly and use firearms that are far more [nasty adjective here] than a 9mm. I imagine due to this he would stand a better chance of getting a 9mm than I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He regularly handly and use firearms that are far more [nasty adjective here] than a 9mm. I imagine due to this he would stand a better chance of getting a 9mm than I would.
    Why? I mean, the army trains you to shoot people with 9mm pistols, civilian target shooting trains you not to, so I'd say you had a head-start ;)
    Besides which, after ten years of seeing RDF chaps show up in DURC, the lesson I've learnt is that while RDF chaps may be more familiar with firearms, it doesn't mean that they'll be better trained with them (which isn't to say it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen with every soldier).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sparks wrote: »
    Why? I mean, the army trains you to shoot people with 9mm pistols, civilian target shooting trains you not to, so I'd say you had a head-start ;)
    Besides which, after ten years of seeing RDF chaps show up in DURC, the lesson I've learnt is that while RDF chaps may be more familiar with firearms, it doesn't mean that they'll be better trained with them (which isn't to say it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen with every soldier).

So what your saying is the moral of the story is that civilian or military experience with firearms doenst doesnt always add up to better training? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*heheh*
    Something like that allright ;)

Advertisement