Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card - Minimum Amounts?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

I dont know if this would be the right forum but I have an AIB laser card and due to this I don't carry cash most of the time. When I went into my local shop to buy a paper, a drink and a snack, totaling the price to 5.45, I was told that I had to spend 13 euros or over to use my laser card.

Are they able to do this because it doesnt sound right to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

think its around 5 or 6 euro.

i ofen use it for transactions under a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A shop can set it's own limit if they so feel inclined :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yeah its up to a shop most of thim the will included cash back in this limit. So if the limit was 13 and you bought something for 5 you could have asked for 10 euro cash back as well to bring you over the limit.

shops are not required to accept any tender until a debt has been incurred. They can set any rules they want on what they accept before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Depends on the shop.

There is a charge per transaction that they have to pay afaik.

The lowest I've ever spent was about 1.30 on a bottle of pepsi in a garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Echo previous posters. AFAIK, there is a 1 - 1.5% cost for every laser transaction and a monthly fee involved if you require a machine from the merchant company. By applying a minimum amount the shop is minimising it's costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

AFAIK the reason why shops allow cash back on lasers but not credit cards, is because it is a set fee per transaction (50c or so), as opposed to a % fee with credit cards

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

yep shops can set what they want. I work in a family shop and we do that as its crazy for someone to want to buy something for less than 5euro and want it on their laser, we the shopkeepers have to pay for each transaction, so not worth it. we put a 10euro minimum on all Cards, but if its laser and the transaction is about 8/9euro, I usually let it go, but not all the time. I have started asking if they want cashback to bring it up, otherwise it has to be 10euro.

Advertisement