Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop - My options?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Bought army of two on Friday as did my friend. Thought it was terrible so my mate went back in on Sunday with both discs perfect and with proof of purchase and was refused even credit. My friend said I dont want this, it is not good can I pick another game or get a gift card? They said no. My mate then said but I dont want it it's terrible. Gamestop employee then said well the game is designed for online play and it's not supposed to be very long or good offline. :rolleyes:

Where do we stand? Surely within 28 days with receipt and perfect condition game, I can demand at least store credit??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

Nope To my knowledge the only way you can demand things like that is if the game is faulty not liking something is not a vaild reason sorry fo returning something :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Negative young sir. If there ain't anything wrong with it, they're under no obligation to exchange or give you credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No, you are entitled to nothing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While you can't demand a refund, I would ring up and without saying your specific situation, would ask what the store policy on exchange/refund is.

You only really have rights to return goods to a shop if there is something actually wrong with them.

<EDIT> Is there anything on the back of the reciept with reference to their return policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ken4doon

The game fullfilled it obligation to work, it was not damaged or in need of repair. You read the details of the gamee before you bought it. Your at a leoss, flog it on ebay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You've not got a leg to stand on. The shop aren't responsible if you don't like the game. Research your purchases more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You've not got a leg to stand on. The shop aren't responsible if you don't like the game. Research your purchases more in the future.

Did research it, and it still sucked :D

I shall report back when I get my credit note

It kept crashing on the last mission anyway :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It kept crashing on the last mission anyway :rolleyes:

:D

So you have played it through?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds like a candidate for rental for me...

"..there are still some issues with the main game being a bit short and shallow.."
    "..Its truncated length is a deterrent to a full price purchase.."
    "..Army of Two is quite a short game, and there is no reason to play it twice.."
    "..its horrible controls and vanilla campaign mode prevent Army of Two from being even an above-average game.."

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/armyoftwo

You could have rented 2 copies for a few days for a tenner in xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just go back the next day and say it doesn't work. Problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

They'll test it there and then and you'll look a right tool if you go in saying it's faulty. It's not difficult to spot a liar a mile off when you've worked in retail for any length of time. You made a mistake. Tough. They've no obligation to help you. You can make as big a fuss as you like but you will still be in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just go back the next day and say it doesn't work. Problem solved

if they don't test it to make sure, they'll most likely give them a new copy rather then a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

ztoical wrote: »
    if they don't test it to make sure, they'll most likely give them a new copy rather then a refund.

Yup that's usually what happens. You can always tell someone is lying when they say "Could I just pick a different game instead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gamestop used to be great for that though....I remember buying the terrible Men of Valor for the Xbox a few years ago for 59.99, getting home, and playing it for 20 minutes before turning off the 'box in a rage. Brought it back the next day to trade in for 50% value, seeing as I never planned playing it again, and the girl asked 'Didn't you just buy this yesterday? We can take it back for full credit'.

So without even asking, I was offered 100% of the cost in credit. Happy times.

For me, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cpcs

You're best bet is to get your mother to go in and a) I don't know what cert the game is but i'm guessing 15's and that it's not suitable for her little jimmy, or b) tis little jimmys birthday and his granny bought him this game, so did your mother so she's like to change it for.... gta4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

how come they won't buy it off you? that's odd. I'll swap you for Frontlines - I feel exactly the same way about it. BTW - I bought my copy pre-owned, so they are obviously taking them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gamestop used to be great for that though....I remember buying the terrible Men of Valor for the Xbox a few years ago for 59.99, getting home, and playing it for 20 minutes before turning off the 'box in a rage. Brought it back the next day to trade in for 50% value, seeing as I never planned playing it again, and the girl asked 'Didn't you just buy this yesterday? We can take it back for full credit'.

So without even asking, I was offered 100% of the cost in credit. Happy times.

For me, that is.

it's funny how stuff like that happens when you go in to a shop in a mannerly fashion which doesn't put the the shop assistant on the defensive and in an awkward position straight away. the item aint faulty, the OP demanding stuff isn't going to get sqwat

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

tbh wrote: »
    how come they won't buy it off you? that's odd. I'll swap you for Frontlines - I feel exactly the same way about it. BTW - I bought my copy pre-owned, so they are obviously taking them back.

What I gathered is that he hasn't tried - its not much of an alternative. Compared to its full retail price, it wouldnt be a very good deal compared to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Returns policy can change from store to store. I got a couple of games in GameStop in Clarehall, and got talking to the guy behind the counter. He was wondering if I had heard anything about the games and if they were good or not. When I was leaving he said that if they weren't any good that they have a 7 days return policy on games. I don't know if this is just a discretionary thing, or if he was just being nice, but I didn't get to bring them back since I quite liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you're right who, sorry grumpy, them's the breaks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Hi Mate there right that you have no come back if u just dont like it..i work in game retail management for couple of years...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Its a bit odd they wouldn't swap it for you,they definatly will never give you a cash refund for an unwanted item but most places do accept returns for store credit within about 28 days as long it is in perfect condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

God i hated people like you when i worked in GameStop. You bought the game, its not GameStops fault that you dont like it. You should have rented first. You dont have a leg to stand on and unless you meet some really nice sales assistant you wont get store credit to the value of the game and definitely not a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

perfect condition game

this is your key problem right here and which is why the store is perfectly entitled to tell you to go an sing for it.

in future read games reviews / play a game demo if it's on xbox marketplace. the only option open to you would really be to take a trade in on it for a different game

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tvnutz wrote: »
    Its a bit odd they wouldn't swap it for you,they definatly will never give you a cash refund for an unwanted item but most places do accept returns for store credit within about 28 days as long it is in perfect condition.

I would assume that "perfect condition" means sealed, Otherwise it's second hand. Would you be happy enough paying full whack for a game someone else had and played for almost a month, when the next person in the que was getting a nice sealed one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Stekelly wrote: »
    I would assume that "perfect condition" means sealed, Otherwise it's second hand. Would you be happy enough paying full whack for a game someone else had and played for almost a month, when the next person in the que was getting a nice sealed one?

Well no,because a lot of games in Xtra-Vision aren't sealed anyway. There is no stock on the cases is the floor in most stores (some have started to do that now),so games are opened,discs but in envelopes and the covers put out on the floor. So some will not be sealed when sold but are in 100% perfect condition. If the disc was perfect it was within a day or two I woudl take it back,even though it says 28 days I would be wary about taking anything back if was more than a week old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tvnutz wrote: »
    Well no,because a lot of games in Xtra-Vision aren't sealed anyway. There is no stock on the cases is the floor in most stores (some have started to do that now),so games are opened,discs but in envelopes and the covers put out on the floor. So some will not be sealed when sold but are in 100% perfect condition. If the disc was perfect it was within a day or two I woudl take it back,even though it says 28 days I would be wary about taking anything back if was more than a week old.

Are xtra vision not assuming acceptance of the licence and copyright if they do this? AFAIK software is sold sealed and when you open the seal you are accepting the licence and copyright for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Some good advice from one poster about getting the mother to go in saying the game isnt suitable age wisefor her son.

Did they refuse to even trade in the game, I'd imagine you'll lose about 20 quid or more though.

Try flog it on ebay maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I was offered 100% of the cost in credit. Happy times.
    For me, that is.

LOL! you're super considerate! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've never had an issue bringing anything back in Gamestop..I've often gone in and simply said ' sorry is there any chance I can exchange this as it's utter muck' and they normally laugh and say no problem...it helps obviously if you're a game whore and buy games every month off them. :D

Advertisement