Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new ford mondeo

Options
  • 11-03-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

saw the new model and it looks great, heard it got a car of the year award too. i have always had toyotas and they never give trouble and keep their value. Dont think the old mondeo kept its value too well. what do people think. it would be a diesel i would buy if i was going to purchase

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

john1963 wrote: »
    saw the new model and it looks great, heard it got a car of the year award too. i have always had toyotas and they never give trouble and keep their value. Dont think the old mondeo kept its value too well. what do people think. it would be a diesel i would buy if i was going to purchase

if i was buying a new car , there is only one i would choose and thats the new mondeo , id buy a diesel too but id go further and buy an automatic while im at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

If you're going for the new Mondeo, check out the Zetec over the LX. It costs about €2,250 extra, but worth it for the extras included. I'm seriously looking at one at the moment (1.6 petrol, saloon), it's gonna cost me about €14,000 if traded against a 05 Mondeo I have with 33,000km, new tyres etc, bit disappointed with trade value of my car, one dealer was only allowing me €13k for it on Saturday!! Robber! He said that because it was a 1.8 it would be difficult to sell, Mondeos of this vintage were only available from 1.8 up and I didn't exactly see his forecourt full of unsold 05 Mondeos! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you're going for the new Mondeo, check out the Zetec over the LX. It costs about €2,250 extra, but worth it for the extras included. I'm seriously looking at one at the moment (1.6 petrol, saloon), it's gonna cost me about €14,000 if traded against a 05 Mondeo I have with 33,000km, new tyres etc, bit disappointed with trade value of my car, one dealer was only allowing me €13k for it on Saturday!! Robber! He said that because it was a 1.8 it would be difficult to sell, Mondeos of this vintage were only available from 1.8 up and I didn't exactly see his forecourt full of unsold 05 Mondeos! :rolleyes:

Get the 1.8 diesel. The 1.6 is going to be a big step backwards from the 1.8(less power and more weight). The diesel has the same power as your current Mondeo but loads more torque, so it should be usefully quicker than your present motor.

The 1.8 diesel will do 11 miles more to every gallon, plus if you get it in July it will cost €290 to tax, and will be cheaper to buy than it is now because it gets into a much lower VRT category. Once people get clued into this emissions lark nobody will want a 1.6 Mondeo in a few years time.

An even better bet would be to hold off till the ECOnetic model comes along. It's emissions(therefore mpg) will be better still, so it should be very well priced as it gets into an even lower VRT and road tax category, and only a marginal loss in performance(compared to the 1.8 TDCi 125 PS), though it still has more power than the 1.6 Mondeo.

For more info, click the link in my sig.

To the OP: haven't gone in it yet, but it is meant to be a superb car. Toyota are replacing the Avensis soon(a dealer told me the new one will be here this November) though, but it's noting to get excited about if the spy shots I've seen are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We had a 1.8Tdci 125ps Zetec last year for about 3 weeks on Demo. Not everybody is mad keen on the looks and the blue interior in the Demo was horrible (IMHO). Couldn't find anything wrong with the car - interior space is incredible (5 series spaciousness), enough go from the 1.8Td to more than keep up with Irish traffic. Only thing you might want to add as an extra is the integrated bluetooth system (€350 ish). Cruise & Climate control are standard on the Zetec.

I haven't driven a 1.6 model but I'd say it's not powerful enough for the size of the car - diesel is definately the way to go. Won't hold it's value as well as the Avensis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    G

An even better bet would be to hold off till the ECOnetic model comes along. It's emissions(therefore mpg) will be better still

Emissions are not always proportional to mpg! I know recent heavy diesels (e.g. made by John Deere) have taken a hit on economy to improve emissions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

What would opinions be on the new 2.0 litre diesel over the 1.8?
    Currently drive a 2.0 litre diesel 05 Mondeo so was wondering would the 1.8 be a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

dougal wrote: »
    What would opinions be on the new 2.0 litre diesel over the 1.8?
    Currently drive a 2.0 litre diesel 05 Mondeo so was wondering would the 1.8 be a bit of a difference.

I used to have a 115ps Zetec Mondeo (2.0 Litre) which was great to drive. The new 1.8Tdci is 125ps and on a par with the older 2.0 performance wise. If you have a 90ps version you will notice the difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

R.O.R wrote: »
    I used to have a 115ps Zetec Mondeo (2.0 Litre) which was great to drive. The new 1.8Tdci is 125ps and on a par with the older 2.0 performance wise. If you have a 90ps version you will notice the difference ;)

I think mine is a 115ps alright so the 1.8 would be fine in that case - I'll start looking around now to see what sort of money I'll be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would wait until July to buy a new diesel car. VRT and motor tax will be cheaper than present.

I would also check out the new Mazda 6, best looking car in this class imo.

maidhc wrote: »
    Emissions are not always proportional to mpg! I know recent heavy diesels (e.g. made by John Deere) have taken a hit on economy to improve emissions!
    True, but it's lower on CO2, the only thing that counts for our VRT system;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I had the new Mondeo 1.6 over the weekend. A 1.6 in that body size and weight was a stupid idea from the get go. I went from Dublin down to Wexford, over taking is something you'd have to plan way in advance. If people are thinking of buying the new Mondeo then the diesel is the only option!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ford should have offered the 125bhp 1.6 here, but didn't. Big mistake. It's available, for a premium of STG£700 in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I'm thinking about one of the new model mondeos too. Going to look at a few this weekend (2007). I was going to go for the 1.6 - Big drop for me from a 2L turbo petrol Saab but I want a smaller engine and a much newer car. Performance is a medium consideration for me. I don't do much long haul or overtaking. So is the 1.6 a viable option? Would love a diesel but they cost too much for the newer model with my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Finally got my 1.8TDCI Mondeo Zetec on Tuesday. So far I have run it to Sligo and Castlebar from Newbridge. Cruise Control is great and a definite bonus. Did'nt get bluetooth but it was an ex-demo so no compliants. I had the 115bhp 2.0TDCI Mondeo Zetec before this and the power is actually a little better in the new one. It is huge compared to the old one, inside and out. The boot space is amazing. The doors close with a good solid clunck. Handling is improved on small roads. Suspension is stiffer than last one but not uncomfortable.

The only thing odd is that the power out of 1st and 2nd is poor. It feels very laboured. It feels like the turbo is disengaged on these gears no matter what revs you hit. In third and all the way to 6th the power once you hit 2000revs is amazing. Overtaking is a joy in any gear. There is huge amount of torque on tap.

The mirrors are far too small for the car size. The rear slopes back to the centre and you cannot see the end if the car in the mirror which makes reverse parking the first few times a pain. The turning circle is not great and I needed to re-adjust my position on reversing a few times before figuring out the spot you need to hit before reversing.

I just read back over my post and it looks like I don't like it. Believe me, it is a great machine, and I am delighted with it. Try to stick to the zetec instead of LX if you are buying, the interior is better and you get 25bhp extra from the same engine (1.8TDCI).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Mondeo is tested in this weeks Autocar . Supprised it was beaten to be honest. They were ranked as follows.
    1st bmw 3 series 320d 5 stars
    2nd c class 4.5
    3rd mondeo 4.5
    4th audi A4 3.5
    5th laguna 3.5
    6th alfa159 3.5
    7th passat 3
    8th lexus is220d 3
    9th saab93 2

They've changed their minds again then, a 320d SE lost to a 2.0 TDCi Titanium X Mondeo before in the said magazine.

Though coming third out of that lot is still very good.

A4 only got 3.5 stars. Wonder what happened there?

It's cousin the S5(will very a few times once removed but still related:D) is a stonking car, though the interior feels as cheap as chips inside for a car of that price.

They put a new engine in the 3 series. Not really surprised by the A4. It's never beaten a 3 series or a mondeo in a road test.

groupb wrote: »
    Mondeo is tested in this weeks Autocar . Supprised it was beaten to be honest. They were ranked as follows.
    2nd c class 4.5
    3rd mondeo 4.5

Being able to eyeball Mercedes and BMW is a fair achievement for a car which costs substantially less. The mondeo is pretty much as big as the 5 series too, so you get a hell of a lot more car for your money.

I think though we are probably overdue a new set of petrol and diesel engines from ford at this stage though. The petrols in the mondeo are essentially the Zetecs from the MK1, the 1.8TDCI, while a fine engine, and an exceptionally well proven unit can trace its heritage back to the Orion, and the PSA/Ford partnership seems to be have been quiet of late.

I suspect the new engines will come within the next 2 years.

It was the 2 litre mondeo they tested , but you're probably right about new engines been needed. The two cars whose engines they really did'nt like were the passat and the lexus. The passat only got 7th place because of its bargin price according to the testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It was the 2 litre mondeo they tested , but you're probably right about new engines been needed. The two cars whose engines they really did'nt like were the passat and the lexus. The passat only got 7th place because of its bargin price according to the testers.

Thought lexus was supposed to be brilliant engine.

• Advertisement

a 320d SE lost to a 2.0 TDCi Titanium X Mondeo before in the said magazine.

Though coming third out of that lot is still very good.

High spec mondeo would probably cost more over 2 - 3 years than a 320d SE with the fords depreciation, especially the high spec one, they are crazy money.

mickdw wrote: »
    High spec mondeo would probably cost more over 2 - 3 years than a 320d SE with the fords depreciation, especially the high spec one, they are crazy money.

Yeah, if you buy a titanium x you can expect to be rodgered, but a Zetec diesel will hold its value reasonably well. Certainly when you actually try and buy a s/h mondeo you will find, that while a bit cheaper than a VW or toyota, they are not exactly given away either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

A friend of mine bought a 2006 TDCi and its very, very disappointing. I realise its an old model but its very poor inside, maybe the new one is better. Apart from that the car cost 16.5K. Very cheap for an 06 car so looks like they dont hold their value very well.

Performance for a 2.0L TDCi is shocking. Absolutely no power at all. No confidence at all for overtaking. Solidly built though in its favour.

In fairness, my friend is not really into cars and he's not bothered by the poor performance. His biggest bone of contention is that its only giving 45 mpg.

Maybe the new model has stepped up though. Certainly look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I was disappointed by the interior of the Mondeo (not the trim but the driving position/visiblity). I'm a big fan of Mondeos and drive a 00 MK2 at the moment.. Took the Mk4 for a test drive. I don't like the way the widscreen is so small, the door sills high and you can't relly see the bonnet (I'm 5' 11"). It feels like your removed a bit. I much prefer the cabin position in the MK2 you fell more in contol and visibility is better.

Performance for a 2.0L TDCi is shocking. Absolutely no power at all. No confidence at all for overtaking.

quote]

Maybe something wrong. It should be quite good overtaking I would have thought.

mickdw wrote: »
    Thought lexus was supposed to be brilliant engine.
    The Lexus' engine has been criticised repeatedly for not being refined enough for a Lexus, or even refined enough compared to the competition.

It's far from economical too, a 320d would do 58.9 mpg, and has a bit more power than the Lexus, which does only 44.8 mpg. Even a 330d would be be better on mpg(46.3), and that's a 6 cylinder 3.0 engine with way more power than the IS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

2nd c class 4.5
    3rd mondeo 4.5
    4th audi A4 3.5
    5th laguna 3.5
    6th alfa159 3.5
    7th passat 3
    8th lexus is220d 3
    9th saab93 2

Yeah but the 2 heavy-hitters missing are the Mazda 6 and forthcoming Accord diesels. Neither are available yet. Also the 159 is in the course of being facelifted - new suspension/weight-saving part of the changes. Dunno if that would have made any difference...

You can't argue against the BMW's engine and handling but factor in looks, iDrive and those stoopid riun-flat tyres BMW insists on and i'm not so sure...

pburns wrote: »
    Yeah but the 2 heavy-hitters missing are the Mazda 6 and forthcoming Accord diesels. Neither are available yet. Also the 159 is in the course of being facelifted - new suspension/weight-saving part of the changes. Dunno if that would have made any difference...

You can't argue against the BMW's engine and handling but factor in looks, iDrive and those stoopid riun-flat tyres BMW insists on and i'm not so sure...
    The 6 is similar enough to the Ford it would seem in terms of how it's going down in the car mags. Nothing wrong with that though. 6's are a bit basic though, whats with no front fog lights as standard till you go for a Sport trim? And no auto dimming rear view mirrors, auto wipers etc till you go for a Sport SE.

The 159 is only getting a facelift. Nothing dramatic.

iDrive is not standard on the 3 series fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

6's are a bit basic though, whats with no front fog lights as standard till you go for a Sport trim? And no auto dimming rear view mirrors, auto wipers etc till you go for a Sport SE.QUOTE]

One of the things putting me off the 6, that and the dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

One of the things putting me off the 6, that and the dealers.[/quote]
    Dont know about the dealers but I think the 6 looks nice. However, like all Mazda's throughout the history of the world since the beginning of time they will age badly. The last model 6 was very nice when it came out but did not age as well as its competitors. For example, the Accord is still a beautiful looking car and has a fantastic resale value.

Advertisement