Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracks appearing in home

• 11-03-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Please move if this is not the right section for the subject matter.

Some backround info first... I bought the house a little over a year ago.
    ... Homebond is out of date come 2009

One or two of the houses on my road had to have their foundations done again. Cracks were appearing and doors were not closing properly.
    It involved hammering pins down into the founds I think.

Basically I have noticed some cracks appearing around the house ( above the front door, all along the staircase, around the frame of some doors).

Is this something I should worry about And how would I go about getting an engineer to come out to have a look. How much could the engineer cost.

Thanks for now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Get straight on to Homebond NOW

you should worry about this

They will take it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If there is a history of structural defects in other houses in the area then as sinnerboy said contact Homebond and dont hang around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I contacted Homebond and was simply told to contact the builder. The guy from Homebond was not very useful. Ill speak to one of the residents on the street and see how they went about it.

Thanks lads

contact your solicitor and obtain the homebond reg no

ask your solicitor to write to homebond formally

your solicitor may advise you to engage an engineer to prepare a report to attach to his letter

There is a possibility that the OP would have the registration number and in any event it should be available from Homebond.

Personally I wouldnt see the need to contact a solicitor at this stage but I would advise the OP to write to Homebond and get a written reply from them. Meet with the builder if they advise that and then decide if a structural engineer is required or not. No need to spend money now if the matter is being looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Homebond have a 'habit' of running for cover in situations like these. Seen it before, they will just keep throwing it back to the contractor all the time! In my eyes homebond are as useful as tsits on a bull.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Homebond have a 'habit' of running for cover in situations like these. Seen it before, they will just keep throwing it back to the contractor all the time! In my eyes homebond are as useful as tsits on a bull.
    edit:
    incorrect info given

please see post #13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

Did you have an engineer check out the house when you bought it? Could the seller have been aware of problems with the house?

I have seen them put things right too . OP I thinks Mufflers advice is the best course to take

homebond are as useful as tits on a bull.
    Another gay bull wouldnt have a problem with that :D

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    whats worse is that if the builder has 'gone under' then you are left high and dry.
    Are you sure about that syd?
    I thought the contract/registration/guarantee was ultimately between Homebond and the house owner.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The first port of call after a claim is by HOMEBOND to the builder and its up to the builder to remedy the situation.
    I was incorrect however about the 'high and dry' part though, as HOMEBOND undertake to resolve the matter if the builder doesnt do it properly.

Ill edit my previous post to reflect this.

Step 3

Having investigated the complaint, HomeBond will notify you and the Home Builder of the results of the investigation. In the notification HomeBond will detail any Major Structural Defect disclosed by the investigation and set out a time scale within which the Home Builder is to either remedy the Major Defect or pay compensation. In the notification HomeBond may (should we choose) specify the nature and scope of work which the Home Builder is to carry out.
    There are a number of conditions which must be satisfied before HomeBond will proceed to process a Home Owner’s complaint. For more information call 1850 306 300 or email info@homebond.ie
    Step 4

If HomeBond is satisfied that the Major Defect(s) is covered by the conditions of the HomeBond Agreement and the Home Builder has not remedied the matter, then HomeBond shall (at its option and sole discretion);
    • Employ a builder to remedy the Major Defect(s) or
    • Pay to you the cost of remedying the Major Defect(s) or
    • Pay you a sum equal to the cost of remedying the Major Defect(s) or
    • Pay the Purchaser a sum equal to any diminution in value of the Dwelling arising from the presence of the Major Defect(s) (provided such payment does not exceed any amount otherwise payable by HomeBond under this Section).
    http://www.homebond.ie/claims.html#3

Advertisement