Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Doesn't shut down just restarts...over and over!

Options
  • 11-03-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I mentioned this before (comp&tech forum maybe?) but got few replies. I need some of the regular boffins to bail me out on this one.

Basically, the rig I had below in my sig was sitting happy in an Antec P160 case. Everything worked fine, until one day I decided to get a Lian-Li V1000 Plus.

So, I swapped all the components around, even managing to swipe an 8800 GTS 320 from a home PC, leaving my brothers with the capable X1900XT.

So, that was the extent of the change, new case and new GFX card.

The extent of the problem is as follows: Whenever I turn off my PC (either using Windows "Shut down" or pressing the power button, the computer will simply restart. This continues in spite of the number of shutdown cycles i engage in.

The only way to actually shut down the PC is to hold the power button for about 5-6 seconds after it has "shut down".

It sounded to me like a short somewhere, as the power button connectors are connected to the right motherboard pins.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Have you tried to shut it down from the command line, i know of another person that had the same problem on a standard dell so don't think it's anything to do with the hardware changes. Is there any errors in event viewer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

take your mobo out of the case and test it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if its windows xp
    go to control panel.
    go to power options.
    click on advanced.

there is a drop down box for "when i press the power button on my computer"
    make sure its set to "shutdown"

like so:
    53493057mq0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hey guys, thanks for the replies:

johntreacy: Tried the command line, shutdown, same results.

RoyalMarineComm: Checked all my Power Management settings, including the "When I press the power button, do..."

Anti: Good idea, dunno why I didn't try this sooner. Removed board from case and booted, same result again. I then attached the board to my PC downstairs, so different PSU, HDD and front panel connectors. Still happening!

I'm wondering since this happens if I turn off the PC even before Win XP loads, is it just that I have damaged the motherboard connectors for the power switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Sorry to butt in here, but had the very same problem with me machine when i unstalled vista from xp. The bloody thing would keep starting up on its own! Couldn't find the problem either. But i upgraded the hardware in Jan and its been fine ever since.

Would suggest in my case any way that the hardware just wasn't compatible with vista!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

go into the BIOS and investigate your Power options, make sure things like automatic re-power on, power on by time, power on from A/C loss, power on from keyboard, power on from LAN are all disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, tried that L31mr0d, no joy. I'm thinking my motherboard is just borked. I've swapped pretty much everything bar the GFX card and CPU with other parts, but it keeps doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yup, tried that L31mr0d, no joy. I'm thinking my motherboard is just borked. I've swapped pretty much everything bar the GFX card and CPU with other parts, but it keeps doing it.

Yeah sounds like it fooked to be honest.

Advertisement