Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking Club in Galway?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there's a mountain biking club in Galway city, or a group that meet to go out for fun in the forests and trails near the city?

I've tried out a couple of spots, Calrenbridge, Ross Woods, and hope to get a chance to get out to the new trail past Oughterard.
    Thing is, I'm on my own, and wondering if there are groups I could join for company, motivation, pick up tips etc.

Not looking at racing, just want to use it to help to get & keep fit.

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Try here for a start:

http://www.westcoastwheelers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm in the same boat as you- used to cycle a lot but haven't in a long time.
    I posted a few threads asking about routes in Galway and got a few replies- just have a search.
    I presume you know of the mtb trails in Oughterard that's almost finished
    (for the past 4 months about....)
    I've been to Knockma Hill (near Tuam)- it's just a path in figure 0 up a hill. Only takes about 10/15 minutes
    Here's a few links I know of-

http://www.connachtcycling.com/# Take a look at the calender for events. The spring league has finished- they cycle aroung clarinbridge, Cong and other places.

http://www.connachtcycling.com/#/galway/4526242261- list of clubs in Galway (not exclusively MTB).

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ might have some links as well...

I'd love a sitepage somewhere with list of all good routed around Galway/Connaught! I'm planning on going around Cong in the near future.
    If you discover any good routes please let me know.
    Maybe start a thread here and in connachtcycling site asking for people to join for weekend cycles- I'd be interested anyway in joining.

http://www.burrencyclingclub.com/feedback.htm

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hey,

I've been away a couple of weeks, so ain't been on the site, then I come back to your reply.
    Yeah, I'd seen your original post & used it as a basis for a few places to check out.
    Can't say I ever cycled that much, just that I'd like to do some to try and maintain a reasonable level of fitness.

I've been out to Ross woods, not bad, but a lot of shorter sections.
    Also tried out Clarenbridge which i thought was quite good.
    There's a place just the far side of Moycullen, down the hill, parking on the left, some sort of millenium park for walkers, gate across the road. Mostly old pathways & a bit along the lakeside. You can eventually come out in Moycullen village itself. That was fun cos it was pretty muddy, though not very hilly.

Gonna try and get out to the new place past Oughterrard at some stage, though I'm working next weekend and away the following one.
    Long evenings might help in getting out more.

Haven't contacted the clubs yet, but could be interested in meeting up with like minded folks just out for a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Not bad done the two routes today green and red trail.
    nice setting small enough runs though!
    good if your out this side of the county!

whats the craic on the oughterard course?
    is it open for business?
    thanks
    johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Brid2000

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows of any mountain biking clubs/groups in the Longford/Westmeath area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Hey,

Also tried out Clarenbridge which i thought was quite good.

where in clarinbridge? the wood on the way to Kilcolgan?

ambasite wrote: »
    where in clarinbridge? the wood on the way to Kilcolgan?

yep, thats the one, immediately on leaving Clarenbridge, before you leave the 50k speed limits, there's a big walled entrance on the left (Brothers of Charity, possibly?).
    Go down and park at the grotto, its a good bit down the road.
    Then turn around on the bike, heading back the way you came, and the entrance into the woods is just a gap in the hedge, about 70m back up from the grotto.
    The day I went I nearly missed it, cos a couple of guys who'd been out had parked their van in front of the entrance.

Drove past the new place near Maam Cross yesterday, know where it is now, cos there were a few cars with bike racks parked there.
    Hoping to check it out in the near future, its just 23 miles from me, so no excuse now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

yep, thats the one, immediately on leaving Clarenbridge, before you leave the 50k speed limits, there's a big walled entrance on the left (Brothers of Charity, possibly?).
    Go down and park at the grotto, its a good bit down the road.
    Then turn around on the bike, heading back the way you came, and the entrance into the woods is just a gap in the hedge, about 70m back up from the grotto.
    The day I went I nearly missed it, cos a couple of guys who'd been out had parked their van in front of the entrance.

Drove past the new place near Maam Cross yesterday, know where it is now, cos there were a few cars with bike racks parked there.
    Hoping to check it out in the near future, its just 23 miles from me, so no excuse now :-)

thanks, will check it out this evening.

is the track in Maam Cross open? where abouts? turn right after Peacocks Hotel and go up the Leenane road?

ambasite wrote: »
    thanks, will check it out this evening.

is the track in Maam Cross open? where abouts? turn right after Peacocks Hotel and go up the Leenane road?

Nope it's on the road from Oughterard to Maam Cross aparently.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/kml/episode.kml?episodePkValues=4993842

Not sure if its finished yet, but did see a number of cars parked at the entrance with bike racks on Sunday, so I assume thats the spot.

Looks like an entrance to a forest, no real signage, but there are a couple of yellow waist high poles on either side - as if there used to be a bar across them blocking the way.

Got out to try the Oughterard trail this evening.

Wow !!!

Now granted, I'm a complete newbie, but it was excellent. As it's still in construction, some sections are quite rough, maybe by design, but some workmens tools & compressors were left lying around which indicates its not fully done.

There were a few difficult sections, one causing me to fall, luckily onto soft bog rather than a rocky section.

Next time I get out, I'll try to take a few photos, but if anyone is in the Galway area, its definitely worth checking it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement