Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine cutting out

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    My sister bought a second hand peugot 206 1.4 petrol a few weeks ago. She really likes it, but when she takes her foot off the accelerator in the first few minutes of starting the engine cuts out. Once its warmed up its fine, and she usually revs it for a few minutes but has anyone any idea what could be causing this? She says she doesn't ahve the money to have it fixed but I think that she doesn't want to have to bring it back to our uncle in law (he runs the garage she bought it from). Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It could be something simple like a dirty idle control valve or throttle body. However if it's only happening when the engine is cold it could be something more complicated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Your not serious?!!:eek:
    I would be bringing it back to my dad never mind uncle in law. Honestly if its only bought bring it back. Could be funny fuel injectors or not enough oxygen getting into the engine.
    Not 100%sure, i know this happened before on my dads Opel omega.
    Iam not a mechanic, but no doubt your uncle in law is or knows somebody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He has plenty of mechanics working for him. I've offered to pay for any repairs if she really can't afford it, but if I could tell her what it might be and how serious it might be (she doesn't think it is) then I might convince her to bring to the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Sorry, gotta go back it really does, surely he offered some sort of warrenty!?
    But if she gets it fixed now it maybe chaeper then later when the engine falls out!!:D
    Convince her just to do it, one of the joys of having a car spending money to have it fixed! Id go back to the garage first, the fact they know the person may help cheaper.
    Ive no problem using mech i know for a cheaper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I told her I'd pay for it this evening, she just gets annoyed and won't talk about it, says the people in the garage are bollocks. Apparently she's going to sell it anyways :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mmmmm sounds like sometime for diagnostics....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If she has to rev the engine when it's cold that's never good. If the problem aint sorted your sis will be inadvertently inflicting premature engine wear on her Pug. Get it sorted one way or another or the car won't last.:(

Advertisement