Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M3 beating 5.0L V8 Lexus IS-F tested on Fifth Gear

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Aside from the beeping Tiff seems to be impressed.

8-speed, 417bhp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NPtkO_w6o

"Only 150 a year being brought in (to the UK), so it'll be a lot more exclusive than your common as muck M3s"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Re the flappy paddle gearbox "the annoying thing is when you ask for a gear it won't go down and here they just annoy you a bit more by (gerbox then goes beep beepe beep)...BLEEPING at you". "Shut up, shut up etc give me another gear shut up". And so on and so forth:D. Tiff is also wrong about it being the world's first 8 speed auto. The LS460 already is, as is the recently revamped GS460(and BMW will be joining the 8 speed set next year with the F01/F02 7 series). The BMW also has 420 bhp(compared to the 414 he implied it has) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

certainly looks like a toyota...

and in flavour of the month white an all, bleh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Looks like an IS250 that ran through a Halfords window.

You would want to be insane to spend that much cash on a car like that.

If you look at he exhaust pipes at the rear you can clearly see a single pipe go into them, which is hillarious looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

E92 wrote: »
    Tiff is also wrong about it being the world's first 8 speed auto. The BMW also has 420 bhp(compared to the 414 he implied it has) too.

You tell 'em E92!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

f22 wrote: »
    If you look at he exhaust pipes at the rear you can clearly see a single pipe go into them, which is hillarious looking.
    That's odd, as they started as two seperate pipes up at the engine end, being a V8 and all:rolleyes:

IS ownership profile has changed in recent years, like 3 series, to being a bit of a chav mobile. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy either car (tho I wouldn't follow the herd if I was).

• Advertisement

Actually look at the car and you'll see what I'm talking about

Look closer.

Tho I have to say your passion for cars isn't impressive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Looks like an IS250 that ran through a Halfords window.

thought the same myself.....depreciation as quick as a vindaloo botty burp.

Have an 80's 911 930 turbo......violently quick....cant see it beating me in a straight line.

Bearcat wrote: »
    Have an 80's 911 930 turbo......violently quick....cant see it beating me in a straight line.
    OTOH, can't see you surviving a car crash...!

JHMEG wrote: »

IS ownership profile has changed in recent years, like 3 series, to being a bit of a chav mobile. I

Now now, you'll be telling us chavs drive Hondas next... !!

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    Now now, you'll be telling us chavs drive Hondas next... !!
    Some models attract scumbags and skobies, just not chavs. But hey, what's Honda got to do with this!

Here's a chav. Prob drives a 325is or an Altezza, or an auld A6 (or a RS4 TDI):
    chav.jpg
    That might even be you and your bird, Mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

The BMW also has 420 bhp(compared to the 414 he implied it has) too.

But it does have 414 bhp (it has 420ps)

Some models attract scumbags and skobies, just not chavs. But hey, what's Honda got to do with this!?

Cause far more chavs drive them compared to BMWs. :pac::pac::pac:
    That might even be you and your bird, Mark?

Me burd, not bird.

MarkN wrote: »
    Me burd, not bird.
    Sorry, I'm obviously from better stock.:p

I see that the Lexus does 270 km/h. Now that is faster than an M3(well it's faster than any non supercar actually bar a Brabus, Alpina etc come to think of it). Well done Lexus. Hopefully BMW and Merc will get rid of their self imposed limiters too, after all we know the M3 can top 200 mph when left to it's own devices! Contrary to what I said earlier, the Lexus IS more powerful than the M3. It has no less than 423 bhp, 3 more than the Beemer;)!

You'd think fifth gear would mention something important like that:D!

Look closer.

Tho I have to say your passion for cars isn't impressive...

Learn how to spell first twat, that isn't impressive either.

For starters you're the one criticising others and their choice of cars. What do you drive yourself that makes you such an authority on the motoring public?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

It has no less than 423 bhp, 3 more than the Beemer;)!

You'd think fifth gear would mention something important like that:D!
    conneem-TT wrote:
    E92 wrote:
    The BMW also has 420 bhp(compared to the 414 he implied it has) too.
    But it does have 414 bhp (it has 420ps)

The Lexus has 417 bhp (423ps), but anyway, much prefer the way the M3 looks, however much prefer how the C63 looks over them all, it just has better proportions IMO and I still can't get round the power bulge on the beemer.

However, as a driving machine the M3 is more than likely much better, just have to wait for some track times for the IS-F :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Learn how to spell first twat

Less of that please. Consider yourself warned...

What do you drive yourself that makes you such an authority on the motoring public?
    A fake exhaust pipe, and you wouldn't like it.

Just watched the vid and it's pretty impressive. Looks like the best drivers car by far that Lexus has yet produced. And Tiff likes it, which must be a good thing :)

M3 beater? Imho it isn't even an M3 competitor, really. That said, I'd love to see a combo test of the IS-F, the Alpina B3 and the C63 AMG

And I better not talk about looks (including colour). Them being in the eye of the beholder and such :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    M3 beater? Imho it isn't even an M3 competitor, really. That said, I'd love to see a combo test of the IS-F, the Alpina B3 and the C63 AMG
    It seems to be positioned against the RS4 and M3. I'd like to see a head to head of the three of them.
    unkel wrote: »
    And I better not talk about looks (including colour). Them being in the eye of the beholder and such :D
    White seems to be very trendy now, courtesy a German maker surprisingly (Golf GTI), tho white is the national racing colour of Japan.

Styling is not to everyone's taste (mine included), tho it's no better or no worse than the 3-series imo. It's probably about as bland.

White seems to be very trendy now, courtesy a German maker surprisingly (Golf GTI)

Shivers. A white car will never be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And next up is the Lexus LF-A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfvAfriBco

It recently did an unoffical lap around the Ring faster than the King of the Ring 911 GT2: http://www.intechnews.com/2007/12/30/pictures-lexus-lf-a-is-now-king-of-the-ring-beats-porsche-911-gt2-video/

The LF-A is something else alright, but holy fúck I didn't realise it was now "King of the Ring" as that article is calling it.

9,000rpm redline too....yum...:)

Toyota's F1 experience is starting to pay dividends.

Very good vid linked to on that page: Nissan GTR vs E92 M3 (in white!) vs Porsche GT3

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/25/video-nissan-gt-r-vs-bmw-m3-vs-porsche-911-gt3/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Very good vid linked to on that page: Nissan GTR vs E92 M3 (in white!) vs Porsche GT3

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/25/video-nissan-gt-r-vs-bmw-m3-vs-porsche-911-gt3/

Awesome, cheers!

bazz26 wrote: »
    And next up is the Lexus LF-A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfvAfriBco

It recently did an unoffical lap around the Ring faster than the King of the Ring 911 GT2: http://www.intechnews.com/2007/12/30/pictures-lexus-lf-a-is-now-king-of-the-ring-beats-porsche-911-gt2-video/

That news is worth a thread of its own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Have seen reviews of the IS-F but not paid too much attention. All were very positive but stopped just short of saying it's BMW-beater...

....usually i take that to mean that the car is very good but that the default setting of most motoring journos (BMW fanboy) means they just can't bring themselves to admit it. Unless it's something mega-exceptional like the GT-R...

The previous gen 3 series, especially the coupe has become the upwardly-mobile skanker's wheels of choice around my neck of the woods (complete with cheap aftermarket alloys and pug-faced girlfriend with gi-normous boobs). Those who say the Lexus is a skanger-mobile are on thin ice...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EgRNJJzQU

M3 is better than the new C63 AMG and now discontinued Audi RS4, according to Top Gear. It was also the fastest around the track even though the Merc has 453 bhp(and oodles more torque cause of the fact it has a 6.2 rather than a 4.0 V8), and the Audi also has 420 bhp(or PS to be precise).

And Fifth Gear found the 335i to be faster around their track than the Audi S5(even though the S5 has about 50 bhp more than the BMW).

S5 is a great car though, but the interior is disappointing and basic for the price it costs, but what a V8 noise it makes;). If I had 85k in the morning, I'd buy one.

• Advertisement

M3 is better than the new C63 AMG and now discontinued Audi RS4, according to a comedy show on BBC.:p

Advertisement