Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomand security crackdown

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

For a while i was comntemplating wheather i would come back up to ul after dropping out for rag week or not but after my freinds all told me to come up i said what the hell. So i threw all my stuff on my freinds floor in thomand and popped up to the republic o lose, on my way back(around 11) we meet security who wouldnt let me in, even with my ul id (stuck onto it for occasions like this). So luckily i managed to crash on my other freinds floor in plassey where the security was...err...um... pretty much non existant.

Now i dont blame the security guy himself cause he was just doing his job, but does it not seem stupid that there is no visitors, wheater your in the college or not during rag week. It kinda takes away from the whole atmosphere to say the least.

Anyone else have troubles with security throughout the villages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

we got letter in kilmurry saying there would be heightened security but they were no where to be seen last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i was told that, same with dromroe when i was passing through it on the way to plassey. Whats the story with people signing peope in during rag week is it not allowed or whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

i was in a house in dromroe for a while last week adn the villages have isseued letters to every house sayin no visitors allowed during rag week plus the fact that only ul students allowed about at any time... ie even early in the day.. however i was in dromroe from approx 6-8 last nite and saw non of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I've seen two Gardaí drive around in an unmarked car on a few occasions this week. They previously had warned that they would be cracking down during RAG week and implementing the on-the-spot fines for breaching the new bye-laws against drinking alcohol in a public place....

thats funny as an official jsut told me im cool with my bottle of bucky.......is ul / the villages technically public property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Someone shot a Roman Candle at the village Manager in Kilmurry last night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cson wrote: »
    Someone shot a Roman Candle at the village Manager in Kilmurry last night :eek:
    :O Students have a time machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

A letter went around Groody today saying that there could be no more house parties and you would be kicked out if you had one. That is going over the top I think. It one week and aslong as nothing too crazy happens then I dont see the problem. If I had to choose where I was going to be living next year it wouldnt be Groody anyway.

On a side note I wonder how legal it is to bar you having visitors in your own apartment if your causing no trouble. Surely you rented it so you can have a guest if you want. In fact is it even the mangements business if you have someone over if their causing no trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

cooperguy wrote: »
    A letter went around Groody today saying that there could be no more house parties and you would be kicked out if you had one. That is going over the top I think. It one week and aslong as nothing too crazy happens then I dont see the problem. If I had to choose where I was going to be living next year it wouldnt be Groody anyway.

To be honest I doubt they'd kick people out but there has to be something to stop people having house parties. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for people to enjoy Rag Week and all that but they also need to think about other people. It's the part I hate most about the week - the majority only seem to care about getting drunk and having a good time and don't care about anyone else. I was working all day Sunday, drove 2 hours to Limerick and decided not to go out as I was wrecked and had a test the next day. Got into bed at 12, exhausted, only to be kept awake until 5 am with a house party below me. Ended up exhausted the next day, could barely get out of the bed. I'm sure it affected my test and made me too tired to go out that night. I was so annoyed. Go out and have a laugh and get pissed all you want, but why should I stay up because you want to go out?

And the thing I hate most? That I feel I can't even say anything to the people keeping me up because 'it's Rag week'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

It one week and aslong as nothing too crazy happens then I dont see the problem.

Unfortunately you can't rely on people not to be stupid and it's guaranteed that someone will test the limits of craziness which unfortunately leads to measures such as the one Groody have taken.

I do agree that it is a small bit over the top threatening to evict people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Being the sound engineer for all the gigs in groody etc this week was hell - i've got 2 flightcases here full of sticky cables and so on - Last nite was a disaster people just kept jumping up and down on the stage - the stage monitors got kicked off the stage - and to make matters worse there was no bouncers!!!

Ah well - got paid and all my gear survived!!!

Alan

digiking wrote: »
    Being the sound engineer for all the gigs in groody etc this week was hell - i've got 2 flightcases here full of sticky cables and so on - Last nite was a disaster people just kept jumping up and down on the stage - the stage monitors got kicked off the stage - and to make matters worse there was no bouncers!!!

Ah well - got paid and all my gear survived!!!

Alan
    Was ther much of a crowd in the bar the last few days? I heard you had to pay in which put me right off calling in for a couple of pints. I had planned on it aswell!
    rmacm wrote:
    Unfortunately you can't rely on people not to be stupid and it's guaranteed that someone will test the limits of craziness
    And thats when you apply sanctions to those individuals not the entire student village. Some guy jumped off one of the balconies and broke his leg a few years back, as a result the balconies are permanently locked. Again over the top in my opinion. There is no way they could be held responsible for that!

I did hear a story about a toilet ending up in someones bed on Tuesday night, though I dont know how exaturated the story was. So banning house parties doesnt exactly stop the 'tards wrecking the place

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

nah, it was free downstairs and pay upstairs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

And thats when you apply sanctions to those individuals not the entire student village. Some guy jumped off one of the balconies and broke his leg a few years back, as a result the balconies are permanently locked. Again over the top in my opinion. There is no way they could be held responsible for that!

I did hear a story about a toilet ending up in someones bed on Tuesday night, though I dont know how exaturated the story was. So banning house parties doesnt exactly stop the 'tards wrecking the place

I was playing devils advocate. I do agree that most of the measures taken aren't going to prevent tards wrecking the place. rofl at the jacx though :D

i was on a top floor balcony in groody in september so they are not all locked. the security in kilmurry has been non existant although i think there is the first "proper" party of the week in a hosue there tonight so we will seehow fast that gets shut down

last night of rag week for me better make it count after last nights disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PeakOutput wrote: »
    is ul / the villages technically public property?
    No, technically they're private property. There are various rights of way across the campus that probably only the Buildings department know about (if they even know about them) and it's an 'open-access' campus (no security desk at the main gate) but no, definitely private property, bought and paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

After all the talk I didn't see anything around Thomond/Drumroe. Brought 5 friends down for a few days and we had no hassle. I think there was a security guard up at reception in Thomond but we always came back through the pedestrian entrance and there was no one there to stop us.

Thomond was fairly quiet all week actually, was mental last year but nothing happened this year. The weather had alot to do with it I suppose.

sceptre wrote: »
    No, technically they're private property. There are various rights of way across the campus that probably only the Buildings department know about (if they even know about them) and it's an 'open-access' campus (no security desk at the main gate) but no, definitely private property, bought and paid for.

well then the gardai cannot stop you drinking in on campus without permission from the "owners" and seen as we were told at the start of the year its grand to drink cans outside that permission probably has not been given

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PeakOutput wrote: »
    well then the gardai cannot stop you drinking in on campus without permission from the "owners" and seen as we were told at the start of the year its grand to drink cans outside that permission probably has not been given
    Gets a tiny bit more complicated here because while it's private property it's also a 'public place' (yes, I know it's hard to reconcile the two) but a public place is essentially a place to which the public have access. The Gardaí much rather that UL security deal with issues like this and call them if they can't get a resolution to it. Of course if a Garda happens to be passing by it might be a different story.

Having said that the UL code of conduct prohibits consumption of alcohol on campus in public places (essentially places that aren't campus village houses, the three campus bars and any prearranged drink reception or anything like that) so while it's probably overlooked at times I'm really curious as to who would have told you that. Depends where it was I suppose - obviously no-one can defend a few tinnies outside main UL reception or in the bus stops.

sceptre wrote: »
    Having said that the UL code of conduct prohibits consumption of alcohol on campus in public places (essentially places that aren't campus village houses, the three campus bars and any prearranged drink reception or anything like that) so while it's probably overlooked at times I'm really curious as to who would have told you that. Depends where it was I suppose - obviously no-one can defend a few tinnies outside main UL reception or in the bus stops.
    I love a couple of pints from the stables/cans from a slab on the green outside the library when the sun is out in May so hopefully they wont ever get too strict. Though its really annoying when people leave all their crap on the green after them, clean up people!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement