Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online WYSIWYG Page editor?

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey there,

I made a website for a local voluntary community group ages ago. It's a static site apart from the upcoming events page. They're interested in keeping that page up to date but I don't really have the time to keep at it. There are however interested people who would change it if it wasn't toooo technical.

I'm thinking of maybe setting up an iframe on that page and maybe looking into setting up a page somewhere where they could edit it like they would MS Word (WYSIWYG). Any suggestions for where I could find such a service, for free?

The site is here . I know, it could do with a bit of a facelift again!

Thanks.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I stand to be corrected but i do not think an online editor can edit a website unless its on their server and designed with said editor?
    You could set up a cms like joomla (free) and it would be simple for the client to update simple content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I stand to be corrected but i do not think an online editor can edit a website unless its on their server and designed with said editor?

I was thinking of an iframe so the page can be anywhere really. Quick graphic to show what I mean...

iframezp0.jpg
    You could set up a cms like joomla (free) and it would be simple for the client to update simple content.

Yes I've used both Mambo and Joomla, but i don't think the site gets the traffic to justify going to that effort. It's hosted with a free host too so I don't think I'll have enough admin rights there to set that up properly. (Free host, free design and it's only about 6euro a year for the domain - keeping the costs down as it is a voluntary group!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

And you want to put an editor into the iframe and for it to create/edit content and to save it on the server.....sure that's possible but not with a desktop editor. You will need a web based editor and some scripting language (at the minimum you can use an XML based CMS with a WYSIWYG editor such as YUI Editor or that other popular one .... mcsedit? (i know that's wrong).

But anyway, an iframe has nothing to do with your needs. You should probably use a CMS like Saruman has suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Nope not an editor embeded into the site/server itself - but an online service that would do this.

I think i'm ok though - I overlooked the obvious...
    Setup a new account on the freehosting site for that iframe. Give them login details to that. And there's the option to edit the html files there in wysiwyg. Didn't want them accessing the whole account as I'd just be over and back fixing it up, the editor wouldn't handle the full page. Now all that can be messed up is that box (the iframe).

A CMS would be nice, but for <10 visitors a week it's not worth my time to start setting that up for this site. Maybe in the Summer.

Anyway I don't know of any free hosting sites that are advert-free and will let you configure a full CMS site??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

chat2joe wrote: »
    Nope not an editor embeded into the site/server itself - but an online service that would do this.

I think i'm ok though - I overlooked the obvious...
    Setup a new account on the freehosting site for that iframe. Give them login details to that. And there's the option to edit the html files there in wysiwyg. Didn't want them accessing the whole account as I'd just be over and back fixing it up, the editor wouldn't handle the full page. Now all that can be messed up is that box (the iframe).

A CMS would be nice, but for <10 visitors a week it's not worth my time to start setting that up for this site. Maybe in the Summer.

Anyway I don't know of any free hosting sites that are advert-free and will let you configure a full CMS site??
    You can get hosting from the likes of register365.ie or blacknight.ie for 40 euro per year. That coupled with a domain name for about 10 euro comes to 50 euro per year.

I'm sure they could manage to scrape together that every year?

If you go with one of those companies then you will get email, database and php etc support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

How about using Google Pages and sharing the login details with whoever needs them. Point your iFrame at the published Google Pages URL and Bob's your uncle. Messy way of doing it but low cost and fits your initial post requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

If you actually want a fully-featured WYSIWYG CMS then you'd need to look at building something bespoke, probably using heavy doses of AJAX. I know what you're looking for and I've seen stuff like it before but I don't think that such a CMS exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Off-topic but there's a typo in the Brief History page - "Inaugtal" should read inaugural.

Advertisement