Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Street Parking near Harbour Hotel

Options
  • 11-03-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere safe to park a car from 8pm Saturday to 5pm Monday?

Monday being Paddy's Day and also a Bank Holiday.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's a car park attached to the Harbour Hotel where I'm sure you could park either free or cheaper than normal. Don't park on the dock road as it's Pay'n'Display *all the time* and they love clamping an out-of-towner.

I think there'll be parking restrictions in place on the streets for the parade so use the car park attached to the hotel.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

On street parking is never a good idea around festive occasions. People out on the tear = people tearing parts off your car. Wing mirrors, aerials, Wipers. Its only a risk, I cant guarantee it.... or can I? What car you have?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Thanks for the replies. The Harbour Hotel is looking for €8.50 per day. Galway City website says that parking is free on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays. I guess I better give the fckers their pound of flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My friend got clamped on a weekend on Dock Rd.
    Best use a car park. Hynes is always open.

hynesyard.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There's free on-street parking in Woodquay on Sundays and Bank Holidays. However this is now where near your hotel and secondly it'll be right in the thick of where all the drunkies will be hanging around.

You could always try the "Customer Only" parking at Galway Bay Seafood around the back of the docks. I doubt they'll be about to get annoyed about it.

If it were me I'd pay the carpark, it's cheaper than getting a clamp removed or replacing wing-mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The city itself has free on-street parking on Sundays and Bank Holidays. The dock area, however, is private property, so they charge different hours and rates to the corporation, including Sundays and Bank Holidays, IIRC.

At least the parking at the hotel is relatively secure, so once you park when you arrive you can pretty much forget about your car; the Harbour is spitting distance from the city centre.

And if the €8.50 is for 24 hours, then it'll probably work out about the same as on-street for that area.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Isn't it only 2 hours at a time at the dock or is that just in the residential area in Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Das Kitty wrote: »
    If it were me I'd pay the carpark, it's cheaper than getting a clamp removed or replacing wing-mirrors.

Unless you're as lucky as I was 2 weeks ago in the Harbour Hotel car park. Some scummy ........ knocked my wing mirror clean off.
    Naturally, I was parked where the one faulty security camera was........

But in general, you're far better paying for a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Update: Went to park down at the docks last night, only to see an A4 sign on a pole outside the Steamship Company building saying that it's 24 hour pay and display, and that tickets bought from a machine on the water side couldn't be used on the Steamship Company side. There was a bigger sign on the water side, facing toward the Steamship Company so that it couldn't be read by people driving into the parking area. The signs also said that clamping was in operation; as we read that the clampers van passed by us looking for victims (this was 9:30 at night). And the longest ticket we could buy was 2 hours. And the machine to buy the ticket for our side of the roadwas half way up Dun Aengus.

So, instead of going to Sheridans for pints as planned (2 cars, 2 designated drivers, 8 drinkers), we went into town, parked for free and without worrying about expired tickets and Bungalow Dave the Clamper, and had a great night until we finally headed home around 2am.

Advertisement