Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland Delux Broadband Cap way too Low!! Lets raise it!!

Options
  • 11-03-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I think this thread is badly needed, as i have their 8 meg download package, with 3 computers on it, its the 1st week of my current month and i'm over my download cap,

I download tv, opensource os packages for linux, i do some webdesign and run ftp,

My brother games online, and is constantly keeping his computer up to date with antivirus/firewall updates as well as os updates,

I do so myself, and perform re-format maintenance up to 4 times as yr, as heavy internet usage, builds up a lotta crap on system slowing them down severly, especially with windows operating systems as they have been coded badly to a degree where you'd have to manually watch every single thing you download,

then there's our Voip usage, all these things are download and/or uploads,

Every single link you click is considered a download, streaming radio, all downloading,

Then theres the dsl drops when your in the middle of a download that cant be paused, so you gotta restart, these are windows updates,

They have no pause and continue feature,

so 1 low user, and 2 heavy users on an 8 meg line with a HUGE 30 gigs download and an equally Huge upload of 30 gigs,

This is the same cap that was introduced some 2 yrs back by BT, and with the line speed upgrade should they not increase caps, as were getting stuff faster.

No, increase, we'll keep charging our loyal customers the same charge we introduced 2 years ago, where the speeds were lower, the download and uploads were smaller, and online gaming as well as Voip in Ireland were still in their infancy,

If you want this change plz voice your concerns here, ..

the more responces the bigger an impact this will make, I am also gonna create a webpage with a petition signup, and i will provide the link here as soon as I have built the page and found a host,

I'm pretty pissed off with them atm, with constant dsl drops, and when you go over you cap they slow your speeds, which effect everything online,

there caps are in the dark ages of crappy broadband provided by many of their competitors, and we should not simply have to wait for another company to make the 1st move to expect quality packages from our provider when were paying for a "DELUXE" package.

Are you Happy with the Bt Usage you pay for 27 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 27 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really don't think it'll do much good. I haven't seen a single on-line petition that has accomplished anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I thought the cap on BT's 8Mbps was 80G a month, not 30G (as on 3Mbps). Anyway, I've been saying it for ages that the caps on practically all Irish ISPs are way too low. 30G on 3Mbps can be used in about 24 hours, even 80G on an 8Mbps line could be used in 24hours. Calling 30G "Huge" or "Generous" is also being a bit liberal with the truth.

Of course not everyone needs it, but an option to purchase a higher cap, or just raising the caps for all, should be there. With new DVD downloading rental services coming online, MS have recently launched one that runs through Live I believe, and with films available in HD format on that, a 30G cap could be practically blown with a single HD movie rental.

The caps haven't changed in the last 2 or 3 years (speeds haven't either) but far more, legal, high usage services are now available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope that mention of tv is all legal content....

Anyway, OS updates and Linux distros as well as anti-virus, I'm sorry but just how many times do you format your machine and reinstall your OS that you need to repatch it from scratch on a monthly bases?

If your formating your machine 4 times a year because it "fills up with crap" then your not looking after your system right,

From my experrience the whole leg of 30GB isn't good enough is generally by a small percentage of users who generally download copyright material, as this is generally the case ISP'#s are not going to furnish these users with higher caps.

Yeah I'll agree there is some services like 4OD that will use caps faster but untill those come mainstream and the "average" user complains then nothing is going to change, as it is the average user generally uses about 6GB or so at a max during a month

I'm sorry to inform you that some poll isn't going to really change things, perhaps a website but it would need a decent following with a decent letter writing setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gster31

Cabaal wrote: »
    I hope that mention of tv is all legal content....

Anyway, OS updates and Linux distros as well as anti-virus, I'm sorry but just how many times do you format your machine and reinstall your OS that you need to repatch it from scratch on a monthly bases?

If your formating your machine 4 times a year because it "fills up with crap" then your not looking after your system right,

The tv I download is pretty much all documentries that have already aired, Anything I like enough I will and Do buy, I'm actually switching back to vinyl to spend yet more cause cd's just dont last,

I buy games and use cracks to preserve the dvd,

As for my maintenance I'm a qualified Tech, when you constantly installing and unistalling stuff, the registry gets clogged with software values that are no longer valid, it would take forever to go thru the registry manually each time you uninstall something to ensure it is all gone,
    The same can be said for the cookie cache, dns cache, browsing history etc..

As for updates, You can of course buy the cd's, but you then risk the cd-damage problem and having to buy it again and again,

But updates are nessacry and even things like browsers antivirus browser plugins like no-script etc, all need updating, its unaviodable unless you want to just allow people into your machine and give them all your financial information,

And regular formatting clears up any history, cookies etc you may have that your software hasnt removed, and lets remember this is the software that constantly needs updating as its basically released as beta, with a send error report so users do the testing.

As for my online activities, I suffer from agoraphobia so do everything online, Hopefully in time that will change, but thats a different story for a different topic,

I have in the past gone down the torrent route but I found since, I spend more on music and games, than before, as i know of things coming out before ther're out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have 4 computers in my house and there is no way in hell that updating all the software and some browsing would get close to 30GBs a month. I do agree with you that caps should be raised, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Vote with your feet and move to Smart if you don't like the cap.

Smart genuinely don't have one and offer 4 to 15 mbps without contention i.e. the speed's consistant all day and you get what you pay for.

Also, you can whack on a €10/month unlimited Ireland landline calls package.

They're also amazingly flexible, you can upgrade to 1mbit uploads for €10 / month if you need faster speeds upstream.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html (their new prices)

I'm not trying to promote smart, but if you want a serious ISP in Ireland it's really the one to get.

Solair wrote: »
    Vote with your feet and move to Smart if you don't like the cap.

Smart genuinely don't have one and offer 4 to 15 mbps without contention i.e. the speed's consistant all day and you get what you pay for.

Also, you can whack on a €10/month unlimited Ireland landline calls package.

They're also amazingly flexible, you can upgrade to 1mbit uploads for €10 / month if you need faster speeds upstream.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html (their new prices)

I'm not trying to promote smart, but if you want a serious ISP in Ireland it's really the one to get.

If you can get it, unfortunately not everyone can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

You'd think BT were going to charge you for going over the cap...but in your case 30 gigs in your first week might be a tad excessive.

afai thought, my cap is 80gig but the online traffic moniter sez 30 so I dunno. If it's 80 I dont feel too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol, I love threads like this :D

By getting all worked up about the cap you are showing that you actually care about it, which is pretty much all the ISPs want from you.

OP answer me this:

1. What do you believe is the charge rate for going over your cap?
    2. When do you think you will be charged for going over you cap?
    3. Have you ever been charged for going over your cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

gster31 wrote: »
    As for my maintenance I'm a qualified Tech, when you constantly installing and unistalling stuff, the registry gets clogged with software values that are no longer valid, it would take forever to go thru the registry manually each time you uninstall something to ensure it is all gone,
    The same can be said for the cookie cache, dns cache, browsing history etc..

There are small (some free) programs such as tune up utilities that will clean the registry/temp files etc in a matter of minutes. I agree a wipe now and again can help but once a month is unnecessary and impractical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Solair wrote: »
    Vote with your feet and move to Smart if you don't like the cap. They're also amazingly flexible, you can upgrade to 1mbit uploads for €10 / month if you need faster speeds upstream.
    I wish Smart would vote with their feet and be amazingly flexible, where I live.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The tv I download is pretty much all documentries that have already aired, Anything I like enough I will and Do buy, I'm actually switching back to vinyl to spend yet more cause cd's just dont last,

I buy games and use cracks to preserve the dvd,

Doesn't matter if its already aired on whatever channel you have, its still illegal to download them unless the owner is allowing it...ie: 4OD content.

You can look at it whatever way you want but its still illegal in the eye's of the law :)

Same goes for making game backups, if your cracking the protection is also against the law,

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

jor el wrote: »
    I thought the cap on BT's 8Mbps was 80G a month, not 30G (as on 3Mbps). Anyway, I've been saying it for ages that the caps on practically all Irish ISPs are way too low. 30G on 3Mbps can be used in about 24 hours, even 80G on an 8Mbps line could be used in 24hours. Calling 30G "Huge" or "Generous" is also being a bit liberal with the truth.

Of course not everyone needs it, but an option to purchase a higher cap, or just raising the caps for all, should be there. With new DVD downloading rental services coming online, MS have recently launched one that runs through Live I believe, and with films available in HD format on that, a 30G cap could be practically blown with a single HD movie rental.

The caps haven't changed in the last 2 or 3 years (speeds haven't either) but far more, legal, high usage services are now available.

I asked BT tech support, they said the cap remains the same as 3Mb at 30GB. I have a feeling they'll have to increase this though, maybe at the beginning of the next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

exiztone wrote: »
    I asked BT tech support, they said the cap remains the same as 3Mb at 30GB. I have a feeling they'll have to increase this though, maybe at the beginning of the next month?
    Thats a joke, i sure hope they raise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

People shouldnt worry about BT's cap, that is normal users, people who download 30 gb per day are not normal users, time will tell.

A 30gb monthly cap means a CONSTANT download rate of 12 kBps.

It might not look much but thats on average.

A 60 gb cap will be 24 kBps, again, on average. Shouldnt be a problem. Should not affect other customers as its only 2.5% of the total bandwidth per customer (for a 8mb line), now bare in mind that not all customers can get 8 mb and that the product is being advertise as 3mb, anything over that is "extra". If, instead of 8mb, we take 3mb the percentage is 6.25%, per customer.

For a person to download 10 gb a day means he/she is downloading, ~100 kBps, on average. Thats 15% of the total bandwidth, only 1 person using the full 8 mb. And remember that the product is still 3mb so now we are talking of ~33%. Give it some thinking my friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the internet is out there and there's plenty of legal things to occupy your monthly bandwidth allowance and more, and the list is growing and growing all the time.

if you are using your 3mbps connection properly to it's full potential then 30gb per month is nothing, with an 8mbps connection it's laughable.

while we're on the subject of laughable, WTF good is 512kbps u/l on an 8mbps connection? that means the top end product has gone from a download/upload ratio of 8:1 on the 3mbps product down to 16:1 on the new 8mbps product.

it needs to be at least 1mbps just to stay in line with the previous offering and I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's laughable.

while we're on the subject of laughable, WTF good is 512kbps u/l on an 8mbps connection? that means the top end product has gone from a download/upload ratio of 8:1 on the 3mbps product down to 16:1 on the new 8mbps product.

it needs to be at least 1mbps just to stay in line with the previous offering and I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be.

Sorry pal...

is the way it is. .

ADSL2+ MAX u/load speeds is 1mb

on a full adsl2+ profile thats 24:1 so whats gonna happen then?

There are small (some free) programs such as tune up utilities that will clean the registry/temp files etc in a matter of minutes. I agree a wipe now and again can help but once a month is unnecessary and impractical.

I never said once a month, i said up to 4 times a year, it depends really on the slow down i notice,

At the moment our highest usage is viop, and online gaming, + streaming radio as well as utube and things like that, am on a free football management game and i'm lucky if the stream loads as the bt dns is flaky at best,

And with constant dsl drops it irritating, its not all BT's fault of course, eircom has their role,

I asked them to come out, dig up my drive and replce my line as its over 20 yrs old, and said i would pay for it and they refused, i ended up screaming down the phone for 30 mins with all manner of obsenities to get 2 yes 2 senior engineers out the next day, and while they said the signal to the house is fine,
    they also said the internal wiring was faulty, and it was eircom that installed it. they even had the cheek to offer me eircom broadband which is one of the worst services around.

As for cracking games, I do own the legal games, and the alternatives are usually steam based forced activation and updates which is yet more traffic, some game's i only own a digital key, the games are streamed onto the computer,

30 gigs each way is laughable, it totals 60 gigs but go over either one and your restricted speed wise and/or charged, this is onsite in the faq, hidden way down in the document where most people dont read, and they write it up in a legality way, were not all solicitor's

"Broadband may be restricted to those customers whose telephone lines do not exceed more than 4.5 kilometres from the telephone exchange (or such area from time to time as is advised by BT) which the line is connected. The line must be an analogue direct exchange line, which terminates on as master socket forming part of the PTSP network. All of these factors along with the quality of the copper pair to and within the customer premises will be used to pre-qualify if a customer's line is capable of supporting the selected service and at any later time qualify or disqualify that same line for service. In such circumstances, where a line is disqualified post activation of service BT or the customer may cancel service without penalty."

On a dns query to them on our constant dsl drops they stated as were 6 Km from our exchange its outta their hands, yet i'm restricted, and leaving them as they have breached their own contract by restricting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

"Broadband may be restricted to those customers whose telephone lines do not exceed more than 4.5 kilometres from the telephone exchange (or such area from time to time as is advised by BT) which the line is connected. "

On a dns query to them on our constant dsl drops they stated as were 6 Km from our exchange its outta their hands, yet i'm restricted, and leaving them as they have breached their own contract by restricting me.

How have they restricted you?

If you have LLU is no way you are getting 8mb with a loop of 6km.

On LLU the only bit of eircom that they use is the telephone line, the rest is all BT.

It sounds like you are a bit confused.

30 gigs each way is laughable, it totals 60 gigs but go over either one and your restricted speed wise and/or charged, this is onsite in the faq, hidden way down in the document where most people dont read, and they write it up in a legality way, were not all solicitor's

http://btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_totaltalk.shtml
    Clearly states the cap for each package, it also clearly gives a link to the T&C's which EVER customer should read before signing up to any services,

If your one of those people who signs up to products and/or services without reading the terms and conditions then you really need to stop and think because thats not very smart.

I have to say I actually find the T&C's very clearly layed out and easy to read compared to other companys http://btireland.ie/tncb.shtml
    "Broadband may be restricted to those customers whose telephone lines do not exceed more than 4.5 kilometres from the telephone exchange (or such area from time to time as is advised by BT) which the line is connected. The line must be an analogue direct exchange line, which terminates on as master socket forming part of the PTSP network. All of these factors along with the quality of the copper pair to and within the customer premises will be used to pre-qualify if a customer's line is capable of supporting the selected service and at any later time qualify or disqualify that same line for service. In such circumstances, where a line is disqualified post activation of service BT or the customer may cancel service without penalty."

Count yourself lucky that you can get ADSL at all, at the end of the day when it comes to ADSL and line quality there are many factors involved.
    - Distance from your local exchange
    - Quality of this wiring from local exchange
    - Internal wiring within your premises.

Now In your post you stated you were screaming at them to come out and dig up your driveway so they could replace wiring that you believed to be old and unsuitable for DSL and that you'd pay, they were right to tell you this wasn't going to happen

Additionally they came out to your premises and told you it was internal wiring, since you had no bother asking them to digh up your driveway perhaps you should pay for an engineer to check the wiring in your house :)

You have to understand that with BT/UTV/Eircom etc etc your using the exact same Broadband, its called bit-stream and its supplied by Eircom Wholesale. In short...if line quality is a factor for BT then it sure as hell is going to be a factor for Eircom or UTV etc.

BT are not restricting you due to line distance, they are simply providing you with the service that your line can support and in my view should have actually suggested downgrading your line to a slower speed that your line is more capable of running on a stable rate as this is likely to help with disconnections....provided its not your wiring thats causing it.

At the end of the day they don't actually have to supply you with 3MB, they simply have to supply you with UPTO 3MB as stated on there website, as such if your line can only take 2MB on a stable rate then thats whats going to be applied

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

3 computers on 2MB line, usually reach about 10GB a month.

All 3 apply os updates, antivirus/firewall updates.
    youtube, shoutcasts used alot. Alot of development software downloaded also.

2 win xp computers, 1 linux comuter. None has an os re-rolled in 2 years. none needed. Look after your systems.

If your gonna re-roll your os every so often and need to apply all patches again, why dont you create a slipstreamed copy with all up to date patches of your original os cd?

I've actually done nothing downloads wise last 2 days to monitor it, and i've somehow managed to go up another 1 gig in downloads and all i've been doing is looking at you tube streams, uploading graphics etc to my online storage,

I already stated eircom refused to replace my wiring, and the 2 engineers that said the internal wiring was faulty, acknowleged it was installed by eircom, or should i say their contracters,

it has since been replaced, when i set up my account, BT never said, oh btw, you do realise your 6 Km from your exchange, they allowed me to sign up for a delux package,

Now i dont know about most users signing up to an isp, but i do read terms and conditions, but I dont look up my local exchange an calculate my distance from it,

How am i being restricted?? Well on a call, one of many to BT, i asked why I could barely browse and they stated that due to exceeding my cap, They were restricting the speeds, and in any prolonged activity exceeding 20 mins, they would disconnect and re-connect me on their end,

When I signed up it was froth with problems, they stated you'll have your router in 10 working days, it took a mth, I got a wireless router i didn't ask 4, and was charged for it, and part of the fone package i asked for had not been applied, also my broadband was turned on 2 weeks before i recieved my router, you guessed it, i got charged,

If i wish to get it back, i have to customer service and plead my case, cant be arsed sitting on hold for 10 mins just to get the callback service, only to waste 20 mins talking to someone who should see at a glace that i didnt sign for my router till 2 weeks later,

There was also major dns issues due to BT sending out a tonne of modem mis-configured, to the point, its now in their faq, dns, what are the dns ip's,

because the routers keep losing the dns.

Its not a BT problem, Its an irish company problem, they care nothing for the end user, and will promise everything will be fine, yep you can recieve 8 megs etc,

You sign up and the **** hits the fan with delays, technicians who sound like their reading tech advise of a screen,

At the mo i get about 4 Megs of my 8, and strangley, i even said it to tech's, my upload speed should be 384 kbps, but its 507 kbps,

"
    7. It’s entertaining

You’ll be able to take advantage of real time online gaming, download your favourite music in an instant or watch hours of movies and TV shows from your
    favourite sites, with high quality pictures and speed."

[until you go over your cap and you get restricted]

"hr.gif8. Make the most of your time online.

8Mb Broadband from BT can help you make 2008 the year you get the most from your time spent online. Enjoy the latest in movies, music, gaming, social networking, and more."

[Or in my case, one of the most frustrating]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

been with BT on 2 Meg line for 3 years, never had any complaints. maybe broadband if not for you!

it has since been replaced, when i set up my account, BT never said, oh btw, you do realise your 6 Km from your exchange, they allowed me to sign up for a delux package

Well when you signed up for your package you did get the service you requested so I dont see how they have deceived you. Why will they say you are 6 km away, what difference will it make? and, back then, BT wouldnt know either.
    How am i being restricted?? Well on a call, one of many to BT, i asked why I could barely browse and they stated that due to exceeding my cap, They were restricting the speeds, and in any prolonged activity exceeding 20 mins, they would disconnect and re-connect me on their end

Not true I am afraid
    When I signed up it was froth with problems, they stated you'll have your router in 10 working days, it took a m........ sign for my router till 2 weeks later

Thats not a technical issue
    There was also major dns issues due to BT sending out a tonne of modem mis-configured, to the point, its now in their faq, dns, what are the dns ip's, because the routers keep losing the dns

Router dont loose DNS, thats not the issue, so not true again. They did have a problem with the router's firmware though, but wouldnt affect DNS.
    Its not a BT problem, Its an irish company problem, they care nothing for the end user, and will promise everything will be fine, yep you can recieve 8 megs etc

Not entirely true either, sometimes its their fault sometimes is out of their hands. They never promised you 8 mb, remember the UP TO 8mb part of the agreement? you get 3 mb and anything over that is extra.
    At the mo i get about 4 Megs of my 8, and strangley, i even said it to tech's, my upload speed should be 384 kbps, but its 507 kbps

Again, you are getting 4 mb of your 3mb, not 8 mb. uploads speed should be ~612 not 384, that is for bitstream.

I'm sorry, but when you can ping an ip, but not the url, thats a dns issue,

browsing by ip works, basically the same thing, when your router fails to connect with a domain name service, your router cannot resolve urls to the ip, therefore you cannot browse,

its very simple, the dns ip's offered on the faq are believe it or not public dns servers, and dont always resolve all addresses and there are many threads on these boards addressing that very topic,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055248269

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242251

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055155688

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055056467

those are just a few of the many threads i've visted trying to get my connection to remain stable,

atm it drops at least once a day, and i'm not alone it seems

and as for the upload going up, ring them and ask what the upload speed is on 8 meg line's, the answer is same as the 3 meg line, NO UPGRADE

I'm sorry, but when you can ping an ip, but not the url, thats a dns issue

Among other things, but it happens not because the modem "looses" it but because the DNS server is not working properly.
    and as for the upload going up, ring them and ask what the upload speed is on 8 meg line's, the answer is same as the 3 meg line, NO UPGRADE

Again, wrong.

An 8mb profile is 8128/512 Rate Adaptive.

No need to ring them, trust me, full stop.

Loosing DNS and line sync are very different issues, if DNS is that big an issue for you use DNS servers from the likes of opendns.com, but loss of a working DNS server has nothing to do with line quality/wiring.

Loss of line sync is a very different issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm sorry, but when you can ping an ip, but not the url, thats a dns issue
    the simple answer to this (as has already been said) is to use opendns (google it) on your router. you can manually set your dns servers to use the opendns servers and any problems you have related to poor dns will go away.

UNLESS you are doing a lot of torrenting (legal, obviously just like the rest of us) which on the modems they send out (usually the zyxel ones) can be a bit of a headache.

it took me a long time to sort out all my connection problems, but if you're just surfing the net and emailing you probably won't ever have any problems. lots of P2P traffic plays havoc with most cheap crappy modem/routers. i'm running a great adsl2 modem with a great router, both running custom 3rd party firmwares correctly configured for what I want to do and touch wood, I have very little in the way of problems no matter how hard I use it aside from a lack of speed.

as for the cap, I stopped even looking years ago. i just download what i see as reasonable and don't worry about it and nobody has ever even contacted me about it. I'd estimate that I download about 50-60gb a month at the moment, maybe more but at one time I was over 100gb for 3 or 4 months running and peaked at over 150gb one time (based on DU meter's stats, not BT's but they were usually the same from what I remember)

I've never even heard of BT enforcing the cap at all for the last couple of years, although I did have a problem near the end of the month once where I had rebooted my modem and they blocked me from re-connecting till the new month. that must be over 3 years ago now though, I've never had any problems since so I'm not sure what we're even discussing really.

it's like someone telling you you can only drive at 70 miles an hour, but then not having anyone policing the roads to stop you if you go over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I think this thread is badly needed, as i have their 8 meg download package, with 3 computers on it, its the 1st week of my current month and i'm over my download cap,

I download tv, opensource os packages for linux, i do some webdesign and run ftp,

My brother games online, and is constantly keeping his computer up to date with antivirus/firewall updates as well as os updates,

I do so myself, and perform re-format maintenance up to 4 times as yr, as heavy internet usage, builds up a lotta crap on system slowing them down severly, especially with windows operating systems as they have been coded badly to a degree where you'd have to manually watch every single thing you download,

then there's our Voip usage, all these things are download and/or uploads,

Every single link you click is considered a download, streaming radio, all downloading,

Then theres the dsl drops when your in the middle of a download that cant be paused, so you gotta restart, these are windows updates,

They have no pause and continue feature,

so 1 low user, and 2 heavy users on an 8 meg line with a HUGE 30 gigs download and an equally Huge upload of 30 gigs,

This is the same cap that was introduced some 2 yrs back by BT, and with the line speed upgrade should they not increase caps, as were getting stuff faster.

No, increase, we'll keep charging our loyal customers the same charge we introduced 2 years ago, where the speeds were lower, the download and uploads were smaller, and online gaming as well as Voip in Ireland were still in their infancy,

If you want this change plz voice your concerns here, ..

the more responces the bigger an impact this will make, I am also gonna create a webpage with a petition signup, and i will provide the link here as soon as I have built the page and found a host,

I'm pretty pissed off with them atm, with constant dsl drops, and when you go over you cap they slow your speeds, which effect everything online,

there caps are in the dark ages of crappy broadband provided by many of their competitors, and we should not simply have to wait for another company to make the 1st move to expect quality packages from our provider when were paying for a "DELUXE" package.

What a load of rubbish, you agreed to the T&C and they are providing you with the service you signed or agreed. I would recommend getting a second line or throw a couple of your PC's out the window if have to keep formatting and updating. Not windows 98 your using by any chance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I already stated eircom refused to replace my wiring, and the 2 engineers that said the internal wiring was faulty, acknowleged it was installed by eircom, or should i say their contracters,

AFAIK, eircom dont install the internal wiring. They install the phone line up to the main phone point in the premises and the builder/electrician does the rest

Advertisement