Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Joomla - creating product images with description.

• 11-03-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just having a mess around with joomla. I can create an Article page no problem but what I would like to do is have a type of grid system where I can list product images and have descriptions beside or under each one.

Can this be done or do I need to install an additional component or module?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

not out of the box no, you would need to look for an additional module or component I think.

I did a site a while ago in Joomla where I modded the content code to display a thumbnail image for each content item in a particular section (the section listing the products), linking in to a content item for each product. Modifying the base code isn't ideal though.
    Sample here: http://www.littleoakdesigns.ie/content/category/4/13/26/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

vox wrote: »
    Just having a mess around with joomla. I can create an Article page no problem but what I would like to do is have a type of grid system where I can list product images and have descriptions beside or under each one.

Can this be done or do I need to install an additional component or module?

Thanks!

Hi

yes you can do it in a way alright

create a category blog page (remove all the crap that comes with it if you dont need it to clean up the page)

then for each article make sure you have the text in the introtext textarea - make sure all the images are aligned right so as they are all aligned one under another

its not actually a grid bit it is a clean product listing

otherwise you can just create a table (if you want it looking like a grid ) in a content item and link each item to the content page for that product

there are also coms out there that may help u along if those two solutions dont help.

tnx
    sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Hi

yes you can do it in a way alright

create a category blog page (remove all the crap that comes with it if you dont need it to clean up the page)

then for each article make sure you have the text in the introtext textarea - make sure all the images are aligned right so as they are all aligned one under another

otherwise you can just create a table (if you want it looking like a grid ) in a content item and link each item to the content page for that product

there are also coms out there that may help u along if those two solutions dont help.

tnx
    sean

You could do it that way, but my preference would be make a module in html for each item and description this way you could change the pacement on the page later on if you wanted to And place on different pages.
    LAYOUT.gif

If the User 1 is like the above example

Just go to extentions-->Module manager-->New Module--> html

Then enter your text and picture and place in user 1 position

Repeat same procedure and they will line up one after each other in the user 1 position and you can change the positioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

if you want a proper product catalog system then you can use virtuemart - it is actually shopping cart software for joomla but in one of the menus you can turn off the shopping cart functionality and just use it to display a product catalog. If you are only doing a few products then i would go for a table layout like earlier described, but for a proper catalog virtuemart is worth the hassle. actually i found it easy enough to install and use but properly integrating it into the site means a good bit of searching for information, but there is a forum for questions here

checkout finished product here ( but this one is a full shop not just a catalog ) - not all the stock is in either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Thanks for the tips. I will look in to those suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement